xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Homebrew On Xbox 360  (Read 822 times)

XboxIguana

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« on: November 27, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(DOuXXXX)
Rhindle from GAF

Well sort of ... it's still very cool.

I was messing around with the Media Extender interface on the X360, and noticed that the "More Programs" linked to a couple of apps installed on my PC as part of the Media Center Package, including MS Instant Messenger and some other stuff. All of these run when you access them from the 360 Media Extender client. The 360 essentially seems to act as a dumb terminal, interfacing with the application running on the PC.

Here's where things really get interesting: It's apparently very easy to integrate Windows applications into the MCE "More Programs" tab. All you have to do is build a link in a format specified by MS and do some minor optimization, and the app will run in MCE. Here is how MS describes the process of building games for MCE: http://msdn.MS.com/library/default....vgameswinmc.asp
So I downloaded a couple of apps and installed them on MCE, switched over to the 360, and lo and behold, most of them run perfectly. I was able to run apps with modified browsers to pull down news stories, stock quotes, sports scores etc., as well as several Internet Radio clients.

I also tried installing a couple of shareware games, including a Tetris clone and some card games. Interestingly, they all launch on the 360, but crash soon afterwards. My guess is that you could get them to run with some optimization. There even is a MAME emu for MCE out there, though I haven't tried to install it.

My guess is that it will be difficult to get anything other than the simplest games to run in real time using the interface, due to lag in response times. But I would think getting so,ething like a full web browser up and running should be achievable.

Images and the origanal post here http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=73324

Im not sure if its true, It was posted another forum.

Every time I post the MS link in the quate it changes it to the wrong link. http:// msdn.MS. com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxpmce/html/devgameswinmc .asp

This post has been edited by XboxIguana: Nov 27 2005, 11:57 PM

MrPhunkee

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »

Page cannot be found. And images dont work

XboxIguana

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »

All should work now.

MrPhunkee

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »

Thx.

2 bad the images have exceed bandwith sad.gif

XboxIguana

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 04:08:00 PM »

Yea that happend right after I posted.

XboxIguana

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »

MrPhunkee

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »

Sweet. But couldn't this be just be done with a pc card from pc to tv? Dunno, would be cool if it is tough

XboxIguana

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 04:38:00 PM »

It could be faked so easly. But I hope its real.

DonkeyBeliever

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »

Meh this looks like wishful thinking, just opening up shareware apps on a x360? No way man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I mean would the programs have to be recompiled to work on the POWER platform? Good joke though I must say!

dracus

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 07:44:00 PM »

Its real...I have xbox-scene rss feed on my xbox 360. I the weather.

Now for my wishlist.. smile.gif

1. Someone please come up with a way to get my xm(like on xbmc). I cant imagine it would be that complicated.

2. A webrowser would be nifty also

MrPhunkee

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »

Dont think it is. It would be all over the place.

dracus

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »

Its quite real...If you don't believe it download a few programs and install them yourself thats what I did. M$ market place has a variety of free programs as well as one which cost money.

I haven't attepted to run other things through the interface yet. So far everything I have tried was written to work in mce.

In case, there is a doubt, here is a screen shot of newgator, with the xbox-scene rss feed. Sorry I accidently deleted the first post already since I read it. Notice the little notice from xbox live as well.

picture

xzenor

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 10:12:00 PM »

is this a program downloadable for somewhere, Xbox Live for example??

dracus

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 09:44:00 PM »

Link to plugins

There is where I got them. Just install them and they will be available on your 360. I am tackling MAME now with perfectly legit roms of course. I'll let you know how I fare. You will need media center edition installed of course, in order to use the plugins.

newgator is free, and the one I used to get the rss feed.

saunders73

• Archived User
Homebrew On Xbox 360
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 04:46:00 PM »

actually those are being run from a media center computer and the 360 is just acting like a monitor
Pages: [1] 2