xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: First Update for Backwards Compatibility Available  (Read 1981 times)

zX_Storm

• Archived User
First Update for Backwards Compatibility Available
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »

QUOTE(blerik @ Nov 24 2005, 11:11 AM)
The file is probably compressed, since it compresses badly (that or it is encrypted). It isn't recognized by gzip, I tried that already. But as the beginning has plaintext in it, it probably contains an uncompressed header. So I tried to gunzip it after taking the first couple of bytes of of the file. I tried up to about the first 10KB (with a script of course), and it didn't work. So if the file is compressed they didn't use gzip.

Will try with unzip now...

*EDIT* unzip doesn't work as well, any Windows hackers here that can try using WinZip or whatever?

--Blerik

This is gonna sound mean, but seriously, what person would actually think that MS is gonna use some common encryption/compression method? -.- That was the most dumb thing I've heard this week. With the kind of workforce they're pulling and the security they wanted on the X360, they could've easily built their own encryption AND compression method. It's like taking a new kind of cereal that looks like cherios and saying maybe it's made the same way cause it looks like it. Well, don't count on it. A good example of MS-related companies using their own compression: Bungie's Halo 2. Took us quite some time to crack it down, and it's only just a game. And well.. we all know that the security for X360 is much more complex than Halo 2's map files. My 2 cents.

Moltdar

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »

seems it refers to D3D9 for the interface and refers to the XBOX kernel to decrypt the document.

And if we could figure out the internal config and naming conventions/paths of the X360 for the peripherals (aka: Device0, USB0, USB1, etc..) i'm pretty sure we would be able to run the updates from something else than a CD since the update does specify that it has to be running from a disc to detect it.

Anyway, distributed the file to many pals who opened their 360's and are working on it.

Drunkn_Munky

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2005, 10:11:00 AM »

Wow some of you guys really have no idea. I'm no Xbox genius, but do you honestly think it will be a simple as renaming it to mp3 or running it on a PC as an EXE or even using winzip? MS spent 2 years on this, do you really think they are that stupid?

Face it, it's going to be a long time before the X360 gets modded, even with the amazing scene that we have today.

Moltdar

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2005, 10:28:00 AM »

and i totally agree with you monkey, people who think renaming the file, running it on a PC, or using anything like winzip or XBOX1 compression tools is just plain stupid. This is MS, not Sega... They know how to protect their stuff when they spend 2 years doing it.

Guess we won't see anything tangible until someone gets an SDK, and even then we would have to learn to make it run unsigned code or the people who released the SDK will be blamed for having their signature still in it (apple OSx86 anyone?). This is gonna be a challenge but i'm sure they can figure it out by the time PS3 is out.

s1w

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »

Just my $0.02

Anything built can be broken, it's just a matter of time and patience.

patto

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2005, 10:46:00 AM »

so the first xex file is released by none other than MS themselves
this is quite cool how they've taken to this, let users burn themselves a disk
btw the 'anything can be broken' comment is getting old

santium

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2005, 10:57:00 AM »

I ripped the HDD out of my xbox and tried opening it w/ FATX tools. It could read the partition tables. It just couldn't access anything. So m$ relocked it again. But I doubt they used the same key design. I think it's still FATX or some simple variation of it.

chedabob

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »

i did all this shit the other day. but no one even noticed it.

MS cant actually change the locking system cos its standard ata locking.

the reason you cant read it in your pc is cos it probably uses a non-standard partition format that windows doesnt support (im assuming your using windows).

unless somebody has a PPC decompiler lying around, we aint gonna get very far. first thought is that the only use this has is changing the cd boot to something else, like something on the hard drive or memory card. but we dont know where these are placed  so we cant reference to them.

my attempts can be found on my site

Hack_Bird

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »

dry.gif  Its going very fast

biggrin.gif  So a some kind of softmod is comming faster...
On board conection pins, XEX Files, Oficial and legal File trancfer pc>Xbox360

Damm, I have to wait till 2 Dec I  own one...

Saturday (26 Nov) I am able to let crash some on the HCC Beurs in Utrecht
GameExpo

Anyway, lets Crack those Files and chips.

Cthulhu32

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »

So has anyone actually hex edit'd the file path and tried to run it on their 360?

\Device\CdRom0\default.xex

to something like

\Device\CdRom0\crashn.here
[being sure to make the replacement of default.xex 11 characters]

just to see if the xex still runs?  If it says the file is not valid, then we know it checks the hash of the file before running it, which means bad news for us as we will have to find another method of running unsigned xex content.  I personally don't have the $400 to drop on a game system, but if anyone is willing to give it a spin, the worst that will happen is it will give you an error about corrupt data.

laffo

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(Cthulhu32 @ Nov 24 2005, 07:52 PM)
So has anyone actually hex edit'd the file path and tried to run it on their 360?

to something like

just to see if the xex still runs?  If it says the file is not valid, then we know it checks the hash of the file before running it, which means bad news for us as we will have to find another method of running unsigned xex content.  I personally don't have the $400 to drop on a game system, but if anyone is willing to give it a spin, the worst that will happen is it will give you an error about corrupt data.

hm, if that would work it may be a way to start up other files. at least if that line means that it needs to start a file...

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »

where's habbabi when ya need him    tongue.gif

punisherex

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2005, 12:42:00 PM »

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

dont rename it too default.xbe and make the xbox read it lol (first one) becasue it crashed the dam thing to hell.... just kept tryin to boot to unleashx and it would crash and retry....then i ftped and and removed it and the xbox booted np...just wanted to tell you guys so you dont wait ur time...

e/games/default/default.xex renamed to default.xbe = result xbox crashed

enjoy...

ill be gettin 360 this friday (maybe if lucky) and ill be runnin some test..if u guys want me to test anything tell me and ill do it..

il be running

SATA hdd to see if 360 will read it and a few formats of the usb keys, mp3 player etc

Hack_Bird

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Cthulhu32 @ Nov 24 2005, 07:52 PM)

to something like

just to see if the xex still runs?  If it says the file is not valid, then we know it checks the hash of the file before running it, which means bad news for us as we will have to find another method of running unsigned xex content.  I personally don't have the $400 to drop on a game system, but if anyone is willing to give it a spin, the worst that will happen is it will give you an error about corrupt data.

default.xex = default.xex
So if you edit it it wil think , (A boy wil say,hello I am a girl)  blink.gif  Right...
I mean
You hafe to place default.xex on a CD
\Device\CdRom0\default.xex will be its location or its executet iligaly

may be the xboxlive version wil say \Device\Xlive\Update\Nov2005\default.xex

chedabob

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2005, 12:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(Hack_Bird @ Nov 24 2005, 07:45 PM)
\Device\CdRom0\default.xex will be its location or its executet iligaly

may be the xboxlive version wil say \Device\Xlive\Update\Nov2005\default.xex

not necessarily. what about xbox live arcade? those xbes run off the drive. and im guessing they are in a folder like hard drive\xbox live arcade\hexic hd\default.xbe

every game i came accross on 360 had its default file as default.xbe (even for the halo 2 autoupdate which runs off the drive) so im guessing that all the other main .xex files are default.xex

so far ive changed default.xex to 134.xex but ive just realised about how when you take on byte out, you have to put another in somewhere else. so that blows my plan right out of the water.

IMHO we should really concentrate on getting the lpc running. maybe smartxxcould compare their dev kit to a retail kit (cos i heard they were almost identical) and see if they can find where the lpc is. then we could get a cheapmod running.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5