xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: First Update for Backwards Compatibility Available  (Read 1979 times)

ypsilon

• Archived User
First Update for Backwards Compatibility Available
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 02:40:00 AM »

My god you guys are dumb.

It's not a kermit file. You think that a file MUST be something because of the little three letter extension?

XEX:

XEnon eXecutable.

End of.

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2005, 02:55:00 AM »

biggrin.gif muhaha.gif

MrGood

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 03:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(ypsilon @ Nov 24 2005, 10:40 AM)
My god you guys are dumb.

It's not a kermit file. You think that a file MUST be something because of the little three letter extension?

XEX:

XEnon eXecutable.
End of.

its probably more like Xbox EXecutable

ypsilon

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 04:23:00 AM »

QUOTE(MrGood @ Nov 24 2005, 11:28 AM)
its probably more like Xbox EXecutable

That's what XBE is, for Xbox 1.

I can't remember where, but we've definitely heard this term XEnon eXecutable from someone in the know.

Beats

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2005, 04:46:00 AM »

I think that the xbx file may be like a windows installer "exe" file.

I found the following portion of crap in the file, which leads me to think that this is just like an installer.

?  !??MEDIA   ?,Q   ñN   $    ?   à    ?e?.CLw?;`?ŒÝ?rXé    \Device\CdRom0\default.xex  
'?Cv?å   installupdate.exe      ?XRTLLIB    3@XAPILIB    3@LIBCMT     3@XBOXKRNL   3@D3D9       3@XUIRUN     3@
XUIRNDR    3@XAUD       3@XGRAPHC    3@   @                    Ì     Ì ÿþÿþ                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Œ      xam.xex xboxkrnl.exe ÍÍÍ   XÎ*ìªïeùP?ƒ~Yd??%ü?\v 3  E Í  

It appears to be a file holding lots of other files - or it could be an image file that the 360 could open (much in the same way that Daemon tools open an ISO file)

TheCounter

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2005, 05:20:00 AM »

Hey guys

Just tried to rename the xex to exe and run it. Funny thing is, it says "Program to big to fit in memory". Maybe u need to run it on a PPC based computer? Just a thought...

ypsilon

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2005, 05:40:00 AM »

You think it might need a PPC computer?

DUHHHH.

It needs an Xbox 360. Nothing else. Don't even TRY to run it on a PC, or a Mac, or anything else you might be thinking, as you're wasting your time.

The file is also very clearly encrypted.

ypsilon

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2005, 05:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(Beats @ Nov 24 2005, 12:46 PM)

I found the following portion of crap in the file, which leads me to think that this is just like an installer.

?  !??MEDIA   ?,Q   ñN   $    ?   à  ?e?.CLw?;`?ŒÝ?rXé    \Device\CdRom0\default.xex   
'?Cv?å   installupdate.exe      ?XRTLLIB    3@XAPILIB    3@LIBCMT     3@XBOXKRNL   3@D3D9       3@XUIRUN     3@
XUIRNDR    3@XAUD       3@XGRAPHC    3@   @                  Ì     Ì ÿþÿþ                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Œ      xam.xex xboxkrnl.exe ÍÍÍ   XÎ*ìªïeùP?ƒ~Yd??%ü?\v 3  E Í 

It appears to be a file holding lots of other files - or it could be an image file that the 360 could open (much in the same way that Daemon tools open an ISO file)

It looks more to me like it's referencing those files (already in the operating system) rather than containing them.

blerik

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2005, 05:59:00 AM »

ran the file through 'strings', this is the result (cropped for clarity)

XEX2
XAdu
$UPDATES
MEDIA
.CLw
 \Device\CdRom0\default.xex
installupdate.exe
XRTLLIB
XAPILIB
LIBCMT
XBOXKRNL
D3D9
XUIRUN
XUIRNDR
XAUD
XGRAPHC
xam.xex
xboxkrnl.exe

Not much to see, all the game configuration is probably compressed. Oh, and good luck hacking this file, it probably contains an RSA signature...

--Blerik

*EDIT* some conjecture about the meanings of the strings:

XEX2 - magic file header

XAdu - directories it needs?
$UPDATES
MEDIA

.CLw - ???

\Device\CdRom0\default.xex - standard path

installupdate.exe - binary it needs

XRTLLIB - libraries it needs or has (static)
XAPILIB
LIBCMT
XBOXKRNL
D3D9
XUIRUN
XUIRNDR
XAUD
XGRAPHC

xam.xex - ???

xboxkrnl.exe - probably needs to reference the kernel

s1w

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2005, 06:04:00 AM »

Interesting I was just talking to a co-worker the other day about being able to get the emulator file.

Now they're just handing it over.

blerik

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 07:11:00 AM »

The file is probably compressed, since it compresses badly (that or it is encrypted). It isn't recognized by gzip, I tried that already. But as the beginning has plaintext in it, it probably contains an uncompressed header. So I tried to gunzip it after taking the first couple of bytes of of the file. I tried up to about the first 10KB (with a script of course), and it didn't work. So if the file is compressed they didn't use gzip.

Will try with unzip now...

*EDIT* unzip doesn't work as well, any Windows hackers here that can try using WinZip or whatever?

--Blerik

Captainskittles

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2005, 08:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(Beats @ Nov 24 2005, 12:46 PM)

?  !??MEDIA   ?,Q   ñN   $    ?   à  ?e?.CLw?;`?ŒÝ?rXé    \Device\CdRom0\default.xex   
'?Cv?å   installupdate.exe      ?XRTLLIB    3@XAPILIB    3@LIBCMT     3@XBOXKRNL   3@D3D9       3@XUIRUN     3@
XUIRNDR    3@XAUD       3@XGRAPHC    3@   @                  Ì     Ì ÿþÿþ                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Œ      xam.xex xboxkrnl.exe ÍÍÍ   XÎ*ìªïeùP?ƒ~Yd??%ü?\v 3  E Í 

wow i was gonna post the exact same thing like seriously thats the first thing i did once i got a hold of this thing but anyway yeah i agree with what the other guy said this thing doest look like its holding files just referencing them. wow is it just me or does the xbox 360 secruity not look good i mean someone could just change this file to install different stuff cant they? but then again this thing does probably have a signature on it
 flamethrower.gif

IzzNB

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2005, 08:50:00 AM »

I was reading peoples posts about this and I realized something. If someone figures out how to use this update to our advantage and figures out how to run unsigned code or something, MS will just release an update through Xbox Live. The 360 is a completely online enabled system. Although I can't wait to see what comes of this, I don't think MS will be too worried cause they can just push out an update that blocks anything that people do.

Havok

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2005, 08:53:00 AM »

I would be carefull about actually installing any of these updates ftom MS.

Who knows what security holes they are patching with each revision.  I am not insalling any updates  personally... until things get looked at in more detail.

WildMonkeys

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2005, 09:38:00 AM »

Odd... My NTFS formatted flash drive doesn't work.

I guess that establishes it doesn't support NTFS? (or do we already know that because of backwards compatability?)

*EDIT*
put the executable on it, can't see it sad.gif

Maybe someone could disquise an exacutable as a song? - Some flaw in their media player?

*EDIT*
renamed update to .mp3 - no dice.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5