xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Pacthes For The Dashboard  (Read 1039 times)

Chancer

• Archived User
Pacthes For The Dashboard
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »

1. Run a repair install of WinXP Pro SP2 if you're on XP Home or XP Pro. Do this using your MCE 2005 cd's without the tweaknt trick. You might be able to skip this step but it's likely safest in case there are .dlls in this install that are needed by MCE 2005. Also, this installs the .NET Framework, WMP10, and a few other media tools that are included in MCE 2005.

2. Download and install .NET Framework SDK 1.1
3. Run Tweaknt. Check the Convert to: and Workstation boxes , choose Media Center from the drop-down list and leave the Timebomb panel well alone. Now click Apply and TweatNT will warn you that this is a potentially unsafe process and ask you if you're sure you want to continue. If you're ready to take the plunge, click Yes and after a short pause you will be told that you need to restart straight away; click OK and the machine will do so.

4. Verify in System Properties that you are indeed an MCE machine (in name only).

5. Insert MCE 2005 install disk 1 in CD drive.

6. Verify the file "msvidctl.dll" is the version 6.5.2700.2180 in your system32 directory. If it isn't, you probably didn't run the repair install above. You can expand it and copy it from your MCE 2005 disk 1 i386 directory.

7. Execute the following commands from a cmd prompt (assume E: is the CD Drive in the steps below...)

echo .
echo May not be needed but I've seen it done in all the other 'recipes' to do an install

cd C:\Program Files\MS.NET\SDK\v1.1\Bin (or wherever you installed the sdk)
sn.exe -Vr *

echo .
echo Copy some needed install files and dlls from the CD and place them in the system directory

md C:\MCE_PROJECT

<<< note: you may only have to expand and copy the .dlls in this block of statements as the repair install should place all the .inf and .cat files in your system32 paths listed below. I've put all the commands here just in case... >>>

expand -r E:\I386\mediactr.ca_ C:\MCE_PROJECT
expand -r E:\I386\plus.ca_ C:\MCE_PROJECT
expand -r E:\I386\sonic.ca_ C:\MCE_PROJECT
expand -r E:\I386\ehocgen.dl_ C:\MCE_PROJECT
expand -r E:\I386\medctroc.dl_ C:\MCE_PROJECT
expand -r E:\I386\plusoc.dl_ C:\MCE_PROJECT
expand -r E:\I386\medctroc.in_ C:\MCE_PROJECT
expand -r E:\I386\sonic.in_ C:\MCE_PROJECT
expand -r E:\I386\plusoc.in_ C:\MCE_PROJECT
expand -r E:\I386\sysoc.in_ C:\MCE_PROJECT

copy C:\MCE_PROJECT\mediactr.cat %windir%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} >nul
copy C:\MCE_PROJECT\plus.cat %windir%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} >nul
copy C:\MCE_PROJECT\sonic.cat %windir%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} >nul
copy C:\MCE_PROJECT\ehocgen.dll %windir%\system32 >nul
copy C:\MCE_PROJECT\medctroc.dll %windir%\system32 >nul
copy C:\MCE_PROJECT\plusoc.dll %windir%\system32 >nul
copy C:\MCE_PROJECT\medctroc.inf %windir%\inf >nul
copy C:\MCE_PROJECT\sonic.inf %windir%\inf >nul
copy C:\MCE_PROJECT\plusoc.inf %windir%\inf >nul
copy C:\MCE_PROJECT\sysoc.inf %windir%\inf >nul

<<<< I think you need MCE 2005 CD 2 in your drive from here on ... I have a 2 cd system so I just put both in at one time and the installers found the .cabs on cd 2 >>>>

echo.
echo Installing Media Center 2005

rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction Freestyle 128 medctroc.inf

echo.
echo Installing Sonic CD/DVD

rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction SonicDVDandCDBurning 128 sonic.inf

echo.
echo Installing MS Plus DME

rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction PlusTheme 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction PlusSpac 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction PlusGold 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction PlusDavn 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction PlusNatr 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction PlusMpix 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction PlusDancer 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction PlusParty 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction PlusAudio 128 plusoc.inf
rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction PlusCDLM 128 plusoc.inf

%windir%\Ehome\medctrro.exe /o RunOnce >nul

echo.
echo REB00T YOUR SYSTEM!

After rebooting, run C:\WINDOWS\ehome\eshell.exe. It will load the MCE 2005 application and run through first time setup. You'll want to create a shortcut to eshell for start menu and or desktop. Also, there is a folder in the start menu->accessories that contains the eshell shortcut. Also, run windows update as there is an update for MCE 2005. It should install fine.

I wouldn't fancy it

Speil

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »

Or I just might go get some 300 comp from dell then just get MCE on it. And use it only for that. Idk but that might be a solution for some ppl rather than just converting there whole important 95\98\NT\ME\XP  (i think thats all..lol) PC over just to stream to a video game console.

O and it will be done eventually. One of us will crack the 360 and mod the living hell out of it. Wow. Just think of this. When or if its modded. We will already have at least 40 gig HDD at our disposal. Along with a powerhouse to test some increadible mods on.

bjs1400

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »

Thank god this topic is already created and I'm not the only one feeling like something is missing.  My problem is that the majority of my media is stored on a linux machine (well actually an xbox running xebian) and using samba-shares to allow XBMC to access the content.  This worked great, but now my 360 arrived yesterday and has a basic media-centerish dealy within the dashboard and would like to do that.
I was wondering, and I know this is a long-shot, if anyone knows of a way to pretty much do the same thing as mentioned before but with linux?  I really don't want to install windows on a machine of mine, much less MCE.  I am not counting on anyone having any solutions for me, at least not yet, just wanted to know if anyone else is in the same boat as me?

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »

huh.gif

devguy

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2005, 07:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(redwolf @ Nov 21 2005, 02:17 AM)
is it possible to rename a file in X360. if so, why not rename a video in your PC to .mp3 then upload it to the X360, then rename it to whatever it was called in you PC.  huh.gif

deadparrot

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »

I was considering do that, but you'd need some ridiculous specs for it run nicley.  I'm running Mac OSX x86 dev images with VMWare on a PC with 1gb RAM and 3.2gHz P4, and it is as slow as fuck.

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »

beerchug.gif

RebelSage

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 04:06:00 PM »

It's just a marketing plow they make the xbox ..they make Media Center Ed....it's only natural to integrate them other software companies do it. It's all about sales in the end. Hopefully it will generate sales for me..since I built Media center...

frOOt lOOps

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »

this is crap. well i can hold off until a mod chip and XBMC 360 just like bucko. or halo 3. also now sounds like a risky time to buy one they are all having problems with defetctive. i was worried that MS would rush and do a sloppy quick job trying to have to many consoles on launch date. i think they rushed the first batch of consoles and will until the demand cools down. this sucks about the video. to bad i like they 360 dashboard but once again i was impressed with the xbox dashbaord and then XBMC comes up and i am like wow, i hope the same pattern repeats itself here. i personally would love the 360 dashbaord with some patches for anyvideo files i want to play. by the way can i burn for say a .emv or .mpeg to a disc as a data file and watch it on a 360?

jimmsta

• Recovered User
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2005, 12:10:00 AM »

Here's an easier script that I wrote a while ago to automate the installation of Media Center, as long as you have the second CD, that is.

I had to write it up in order to easily install MCE 2k5 on a 2k4 CDKey... yeah, I had a little fun creating this 'hack'. It's fully legal, though, because you MUST have CD2 in order for it to actually do anything... download here: MCE installer script

frOOt lOOps

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 07:35:00 AM »

smile.gif. but it is a mystery who long it is gonna take before this bad boy gets modded

cloudhead

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2005, 08:38:00 AM »

I'm hoping that someone cracks the backwards compatibility so that the old version of XBMC for xbox1 will work through emulation on the 360. Then we'd be able to stream stuff from a cheap linux box like before (which MS would hate as it would make MCE even more useless and redundant). We'd also be able to play high-def video properly with the extra RAM and processing power which is the only real problem with XBMC on the xbox1 at the moment.

airmike532

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2005, 12:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(deadparrot @ Nov 20 2005, 05:12 PM)
I'll say it again.  TweakNT should be able to convert your XP setup to a media centre edition without touching your documents or anything.

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2005, 06:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(airmike532 @ Nov 25 2005, 03:19 AM)
Do you have a link to tweaknt? I googled it and yahooed it and clicked endless links and I still cannot find it (just a bunch of dead links)

BoomDivX

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2005, 10:10:00 PM »

Well, first of all, if you're going to use Windows Media Center 2005, you'll need the Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 available here. and the 360 update for media center here

2nd, even if you have the required codec on the PC, your Xbox 360 will not read DivX/Xvid files, I tried. Maybe I did something wrong, but only the WMV files are working (and I'm 99% sure I didn't do a mistake somewhere)
Pages: 1 [2] 3