xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ready For Linux On My 'new' Jtag...  (Read 346 times)

Scrufdog

• Archived User
Ready For Linux On My 'new' Jtag...
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »

I finally have a jtag'd xenon. I've installed a 2TB 3.5 internal drive in it and I'm ready to start looking at getting Linux on it. I'm using freeboot with the 12625 dash, and FSD 2.21

Most of the information I've found for linux on 360 is either really old, or not complete.

What I have gathered so far...

1. The only safe way to install Linux is on a dedicated hard drive.
2. Running FSD and Linux on the same HDD will corrupt the partitions.
3. Xell is currently not stable enough to run Linux from USB.

What I have figured out yet is...

1. Do the LiveCD's function the same as they do on PC? And can they save status like a PC LiveCD?
2. As far as an install goes, should I just wait for Xell Reloaded and see what kind of new options are available?

Thanks

juggahax0r

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Scrufdog @ Apr 23 2011, 01:18 PM) View Post

I finally have a jtag'd xenon. I've installed a 2TB 3.5 internal drive in it and I'm ready to start looking at getting Linux on it. I'm using freeboot with the 12625 dash, and FSD 2.21

Most of the information I've found for linux on 360 is either really old, or not complete.

What I have gathered so far...

1. The only safe way to install Linux is on a dedicated hard drive.
2. Running FSD and Linux on the same HDD will corrupt the partitions.
3. Xell is currently not stable enough to run Linux from USB.

What I have figured out yet is...

1. Do the LiveCD's function the same as they do on PC? And can they save status like a PC LiveCD?
2. As far as an install goes, should I just wait for Xell Reloaded and see what kind of new options are available?

Thanks

The information you gathered i scorrect , you must dedicate your HDD too linux no other software on it. I don't know if you can or cannot do a save state with the live cd but i don't see why not. Everything will work old Xell .... it's not that it is unstable it's that regular Xell cannot be used with Xell launch too run at full speed. Everything will run at 700mhz with normal Xell.
 Cancerous made a script that will let you install Debian Mint on the 360 I highly recommend that version.
 check out www.libxenon.org their is a lot more Xell/Linux information there. If you want to ask questions in the forums over there I will most likely get them faster.

cancerous1

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(juggahax0r @ Apr 23 2011, 07:45 PM) View Post

The information you gathered i scorrect , you must dedicate your HDD too linux no other software on it. I don't know if you can or cannot do a save state with the live cd but i don't see why not. Everything will work old Xell .... it's not that it is unstable it's that regular Xell cannot be used with Xell launch too run at full speed. Everything will run at 700mhz with normal Xell.
 Cancerous made a script that will let you install Debian Mint on the 360 I highly recommend that version.
 check out www.libxenon.org their is a lot more Xell/Linux information there. If you want to ask questions in the forums over there I will most likely get them faster.

I like the Mint too.. but it formatting a hdd doesn't sound pleasant, some of the guys on libxenon have figured out how to install a livecd to a usb stick also. And Tuxuser's latest Ubuntu livecd might be a better choice for some people.

OP, You're right tho that you may run into some issues using xell and linux on usb, but there is plenty of info to get you started on that site. I don't follow what you mean by fsd and linux on the same hdd tho...