xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Linux Repository  (Read 950 times)

Chrisoldinho

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« on: January 12, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »

I thought it might be useful to have a thread that contains links to useful files, applications that work well on Linux (such as alternative browsers, compatible flash etc) in one place.

1st things 1st:- XellLaunch

Launching Linux via XellLaunch will see a large performance gain, I definitely recommend booting it via this method. To obtain XellLaunch you need have Dashlaunch version 2 or higher. The XeX comes with the Dashlaunch program, just copy this you a folder of your liking and launch it using your favourite manager/loader (I use FSD's built in File Manager but XeX Menu would suffice). Ok, so now that's over with...

XenosFB Updated driver- credit to MaDMaLKaV - original thread here

This is an experimental update to the driver to make it work ok with Debian Lenny/Sid. The colours problems is fixed as well as the driver not compiling/booting on latest X.Org. I have only tested on my machine running Sid fully upgraded, please report if it compiles / run ok on other distributions.

Linux Device Driver For Xbox 360 Audio - Original thread here

Instructions:
CODE

Extract the 2.6.24.3 folder in the /lib/modules directory
In the terminal type: sudo echo "snd-xenon" > /etc/modules
Reboot

Debian v5.0 Mini LiveCD - Link to thread containing download links

The Free60-Project proudly presents a minimal Linux Debian 5.0 LiveCD with inbuilt NAND-Flash/Dump/Check utilities. It also includes an option to install Debian-Etch out of the net to your HDD. Have fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Note:
For some reason nandcheck reports ECC errors that are not real.
Transfer the dumped image to your PC and check it there, it will be fine.

Free60.org - The place to go to find scripts that will install Linux for you.

Applications:

Opera PPC 10.63

On Ubuntu, Etch and Lenny (if you can get it working) Opera has a PPC version up to 10.63, it's quick too. Certainly for me it was faster than the default Firefox 2.02 install. Sadly PPC builds have been discontinued now, but 10.63 is still a a good build and not far behind Opera 11, that has only been released a few weeks ago.

Download that here:- http://www.opera.com/browser/download/?os=....63&local=y

You need to download the .tar.gz for Debian, don't install it because that won't work. Instead put the folder in a location of your choice and launch it directly from the folder. You can even create symbolic links if you really wanted and do away with firefox forever ;-)

Gnash - A Flash Player alternative

To install issue the following command in terminal:-

CODE
apt-get install gnash

This only works up to the equivalent version 9 of Flash, but a lot of sites are still supported (sadly not youtube).

VLC Media Player

To install issue the following command in terminal:-

CODE
apt-get install vlc

NOTE:- You might find a newer version that will work on the web, as the repositories for Ubuntu 7.10 and Etch are no longer updated.

I found that some of the default media players didn't work, so it was necessary to install this. Problem solved!

This isn't exactly the largest repository of info I have seen, but hopefully it's a start and we can keep adding to it.

This post has been edited by Chrisoldinho: Jan 12 2011, 09:16 PM

Sonic-NKT

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 03:45:00 AM »

Great Information Thread, another thing i would really like is a Tutorial for Debian Lenny or a newer Ubuntu Version, including new Video/Audio Drivers...
im not a complete linux noob, but this would still be a huge help for me and other i think

This post has been edited by Sonic-NKT: Jan 13 2011, 11:50 AM

Chrisoldinho

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(Sonic-NKT @ Jan 13 2011, 10:45 AM) View Post

Great Information Thread, another thing i would really like is a Tutorial for Debian Lenny or a newer Ubuntu Version, including new Video/Audio Drivers...
im not a complete linux noob, but this would still be a huge help for me and other i think

I haven't attempted this myself, but if you download MaDMaLKaV xenonfsb_drv.so and edit the lenny install script where it looks for:

And replace the link with the version you downloaded, obviously you will need to upload the xenonfsb_drv.so file to a web hosting server, and simply wget this instead.

In theory it should make Xorg work correctly, restoring video anyway.

If this doesn't work I would also be grateful for a guide as running a newer version of Linux would be good, especially now we have a much faster OS thanks to being able to run via XellLaunch.

Thanks, Chris.

Chrisoldinho

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »

Amarok media player

I encountered some issues running VLC Media Player over a network I decided to install Amarok, I have used this previously on a KDE based Linux OS and liked it so thought I would give it a whirl, and it works well.

CODE
apt-get install amarok

You will notice MP3 and WMA playback does not work...Time to fix this!
As we are running Xine (and not Gstreamer) we then need to install libxine1-ffmpeg as follows:

CODE
sudo apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg

You should now have a fully functional music player. It loads pretty quick, not as fast as VLC but certainly no notable lag when running via XellLaunch. The slight delay when loading can be attributed to the fact Amarok needs to load various KDE libraries to run.

For those of you who don't want to install Amarok, you could try Exaile, it's similar to Amarok in many ways, only it's specifically aimed on Gnome and doesn't use any KDE libraries.
I haven't tried this, however if it does work, I would imagine it loads faster than Amarok as it's not having to load KDE libraries first.

This post has been edited by Chrisoldinho: Jan 13 2011, 06:09 PM

Chrisoldinho

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »

A different Desktop

Don't want to use Gnome?

Well there are a number of other Desktops available. Personally I am a KDE fan, particularly on the 360 as the KDE media player works immediately (Amarok), and you don't get the Gnome-Daemon-Settings error that irritates the life out of me every time you boot Linux up on the 360.

There are a couple of ways to install this, for a fresh install edit the install the ubuntuinstall.sh script here

Replace this line:

CODE
aptitude install ubuntu-desktop -y

With this:

CODE
aptitude install kubuntu-desktop -y

Or if you have already installed Ubuntu with the Gnome Desktop, you can simply run the same command from the terminal. I recommend aptitude over apt-get as uninstalling if you have installed via apt-get isn't as clean.

You don't have to use KDE, if you prefer you can use others, and installation instructions should be similar.

MaDMaLKaV

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »

You can download latest kernel patches by Bertl, including 2.6.36 support, from:

http://vserver.13thf.../Stuff/XBOX360/

This already includes the sound driver.

xlokix

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »

You could download the latest Ubuntu 10.10 PowerPC from here.

http://cdimage.ubunt...verick/release/

Then edit the install script so it installs the bootstrap from CD.

debootstrap --arch powerpc maverick /mnt/ubuntu file:/media/dvdrom/ubuntu

I haven't tried this yet.. but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Sonic-NKT

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »

i have no spare SATA HDD for linux atm but i hope someone else could try this, together with all latest patches and write a report if and how he got it working smile.gif

xlokix

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »

I was thinking about this a little more and there are few problems with this method. You can't use the Gentoo live CD to install because you need to eject the livecd. Also installing from an existing Ubuntu you would need to create another partition to do the install but then you probably need to compile the kernel with the new root changes or erase the old partition and transfer the new one over. I think the easiest way to install Ubuntu 10.10 is to host the contents of ubuntu-10.10-alternate-powerpc.iso online and install from there.

This post has been edited by xlokix: Jan 19 2011, 05:31 AM

Chrisoldinho

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(xlokix @ Jan 19 2011, 04:21 AM) View Post

I was thinking about this a little more and there are few problems with this method. You can't use the Gentoo live CD to install because you need to eject the livecd. Also installing from an existing Ubuntu you would need to create another partition to do the install but then you probably need to compile the kernel with the new root changes or erase the old partition and transfer the new one over. I think the easiest way to install Ubuntu 10.10 is to host the contents of ubuntu-10.10-alternate-powerpc.iso online and install from there.

I imagine you would also need an updated xenosfb_drv.so so Xorg compiles ok - certainly that's the case when simply attempting an upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04

The kernel patches that need to be applied are too advanced for me at the moment, I have some ok command line knowledge and have been on a Linux course with work but never really got this in depth.

It would be good though if a newer distro was released as Linux works fast now on a 360 and with HDMI in the works for XeLL things are definitely progressing.

xlokix

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »

So far I installed Ubuntu 10.10 onto my xbox hard drive. It boots into a shell with my old 2.6.20 kernel. But to boot up correctly I need to compile a newer kernel with the latest patches. I haven't had any luck booting the precompiled kernels. All I can see is the TUX images but no character output. Maybe it's compiled for serial output?  

First you need to extract the ubuntu-10.10-alternate-powerpc.iso onto a local web server. I also put the xorg.conf and xenosfb_drv.so on the server too. Modify the install script to point to the new location.. Then use the Gentoo LiveCD to run the script.

#!/bin/bash
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
sfdisk /dev/sda << EOF
,124,S
,,L
EOF
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda2
mkswap /dev/sda1
sync; sync; sync
swapon /dev/sda1
mkdir /mnt/ubuntu
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/ubuntu
cd /mnt/ubuntu
mkdir /mnt/ubuntu/work
cd /mnt/ubuntu/work
wget http://192.168.1.100...buntu1_all.udeb
ar -xf debootstrap-udeb_1.0.23ubuntu1_all.udeb
cd /mnt/ubuntu
zcat < /mnt/ubuntu/work/data.tar.gz | tar xv
export DEBOOTSTRAP_DIR=/mnt/ubuntu/usr/share/debootstrap
export PATH=$PATH:/mnt/ubuntu/usr/sbin
debootstrap --arch powerpc maverick /mnt/ubuntu http://192.168.1.102/loki/Ubuntu/
echo Xenon > /mnt/ubuntu/etc/hostname
cat > /mnt/ubuntu/etc/fstab << EOF
/dev/sda2     /          ext3     defaults   0   0
/dev/sda1     none    swap    sw           0   0
EOF
cat > /mnt/ubuntu/etc/network/interfaces << EOF
iface lo inet loopback
auto lo
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
EOF
cat > /mnt/ubuntu/etc/apt/sources.list << EOF
deb http://192.168.1.102/loki/Ubuntu/ maverick main restricted universe multiverse
EOF
cp /mnt/ubuntu/root/.bashrc /mnt/ubuntu/root/.bashrc.orginal
cat >> /mnt/ubuntu/root/.bashrc << EOF
passwd
mkdir /lib/modules/2.6.21.1
touch /lib/modules/2.6.21.1/modules.dep
apt-get update
apt-get install ntp wget -y --force-yes
aptitude install ubuntu-desktop -y
echo "AVAHI_DAEMON_START=0" > /etc/default/avahi-daemon
/etc/init.d/networking restart
cd /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/
wget http://192.168.1.102.../xenosfb_drv.so
cd /etc/X11/
wget http://192.168.1.102/loki/xorg.conf
cd /usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/
mv libfbdevhw.so libfbdevhw.so.bk
wget http://home.comcast....f/libfbdevhw.so
rm -r -f /work/
echo "" > /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom
sed -i 's/AllowRoot=false/AllowRoot=true/' /etc/gdm/gdm.conf
rm /root/.bashrc
mv /root/.bashrc.orginal /root/.bashrc
/etc/init.d/gdm start
EOF
echo "Base installation completed."
echo "To finish the installation. Reboot then load the sda2 bootloader CD."

Sonic-NKT

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 05:01:00 AM »

Wow great Thanks!
Good luck for getting the latest kernel working, cant wait to try this smile.gif

thc013

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »

you could check the free60 site

http://www.free60.org/Linux_Kernel

and then the recent kernels section

there is diffs and config for 2.6.33 and a diff for 2.6.36

Chrisoldinho

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(thc013 @ Jan 29 2011, 03:25 PM) View Post

you could check the free60 site

http://www.free60.org/Linux_Kernel

and then the recent kernels section

there is diffs and config for 2.6.33 and a diff for 2.6.36

I have downloaded the compiled zImage.xenon, although I might recompile a newer one as there are newer diff files now.

Once I have done this where do I actually put the zImage.xenon file / how do I get XeLL to boot this?

xlokix

• Archived User
Linux Repository
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »

Rename zImage.xenon to vmlinux and burn it to a CDRW.

The precompiled kernels are using NFS and a usb-to-serial device. So you have to change the CONFIG_CMDLINE to root=/dev/sda2 video=xenonfb to boot off your xbox360's hard drive partition.

CONFIG_CMDLINE="root=nfs video=xenonfb console=ttyUSB0,115200n8 nfsroot=192.168.2.2:/mnt/nfsroot/xbox ip=dhcp"

CONFIG_CMDLINE="root=/dev/sda2 video=xenonfb"

This post has been edited by xlokix: Feb 5 2011, 09:23 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3