xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Before You Hit The Power Butten The First Time...  (Read 231 times)

burgerbee

• Archived User
Before You Hit The Power Butten The First Time...
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(CARLiCiOUS @ May 28 2007, 04:52 AM) View Post

Hey I'm thinking about buying an xbox360 for running a linux webserver/firewall.
A lot of tutorials tell me to buy one manufactured before 9 january 2007 because of the firmware build no.
They also say that the R6T3 resistor causes some fuses to burn when upgrading to 4552, making it undowngradable.
So what if you remove this resistor before powering on a new xbox for the first time ?
Will the fuses stay intact, or are they already burnt when you buy a new xbox ? (powered on in the factory or something?)
I need the fuses to be intact in order to downgrade the firmware to be able to run linux.

I tried googling but I couldn't find anything on this.
Hope anyone knows smile.gif

1. Yes, buy one manufactured before 9 jan 2007 (check firmware version if you buy second hand).
2. You can, but you don't need to, remove the resistor.
3. There is NO easy way to downgrade EVEN IF you remove the resistor. So in ALL cases you will need the old firmware.

Other then that, just follow the sticky threads.

Ps. If you just want web server and firewall, go Debian64. Works fine with the debootstrap method. Ds.

/BurgerBee

raufemann

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »

Absolute right buggerbee ....

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 04:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(raufemann @ May 30 2007, 01:04 AM) View Post

Absolute right buggerbee ....

extra info:
get yourself the infectus modchip  easiest way to backup your firmware.. (if you would like it downgrade for some yet unknown reason)
so first make a backup of the virgin nand.. then upgrade to the exploit able bios.. and then get to work.. (you can remove the rt63 if you are going to play games on it) seeing as it can automatically upgrade your firmware..