xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mythfrontend?  (Read 279 times)

jonas1

• Archived User
Mythfrontend?
« on: April 05, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »

Have any of you that have installed ubuntu/gentoo tried using your 360 as a mythfrontend? Are the audio/video drivers there yet? What kind of video output are you getting (e.g., 1080i/p, 720p, 480p)?

burgerbee

• Archived User
Mythfrontend?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 05:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(jonas1 @ Apr 5 2007, 12:46 PM) View Post

Are the audio/video drivers there yet? What kind of video output are you getting (e.g., 1080i/p, 720p, 480p)?

Video works in all resolutions. Audio doesnt atm but is on its way. Video drivers are non-accelerated.  Have only tried one video file and that was an ogg (Ogg Theora video). Worked fine. I guess you can use usb-audio for now if you are in a rush :-)

/burgerbee

xlokix

• Archived User
Mythfrontend?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »

The PS3 doesn't have any accelerated drivers for linux either. They are using Framebuffer and it works. I'm sure we can get mythfrontend running on the xbox360 also.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/index.php?title=HOW...amp;redirect=no

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythTV_in_Framebuffer

This post has been edited by xlokix: Apr 7 2007, 05:57 AM

bone135

• Archived User
Mythfrontend?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »

Mythfrontend is my plan once the drivers and such get out, and and easier why to get it running linux.  I have a newer xbox kernel and things like that.  But I do like all the progress that is being made the last month.

tripledes

• Archived User
Mythfrontend?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 01:25:00 AM »

Just out of curiosity...has anyone thought about it as mythbackend? I mean this little beast is actually more powerful than my current backend...I have never had a PPC so I don't know about the current state of usb tv capturer drivers for this arch but I think it could be pretty interesting then having some VIA Epia (or similar) acting as frontends for the x360.

tomato72

• Archived User
Mythfrontend?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

Has anyone tried watching high resolution files of any codec on the xbox?
My laptop has no accelerated graphics, and its a bit slow to watch HD media in Myth. Once other issues get sorted out, are there any predictions as to whether the xbox will be an HD frontend for myth.  Obviously the box is capable, but I can't find any updated information as to how many of the processors/what pieces of hardware we currently have access to.  Last I heard linux was only able to use 1 core, has that changed?

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
Mythfrontend?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(tomato72 @ Apr 21 2007, 05:56 PM) *

Has anyone tried watching high resolution files of any codec on the xbox?
My laptop has no accelerated graphics, and its a bit slow to watch HD media in Myth. Once other issues get sorted out, are there any predictions as to whether the xbox will be an HD frontend for myth.  Obviously the box is capable, but I can't find any updated information as to how many of the processors/what pieces of hardware we currently have access to.  Last I heard linux was only able to use 1 core, has that changed?

when linux boots you see 3 pinguins => 3 cpu's

the problem is that the current kernel doesn't have a SMP kernel.
(symetric multi processing)

so linux "see's" the cpu's but doesn't know how to use them.

second thing for the moment it still doesn't have sound (only usb adapters)
so mythfrontend at this moment would be 'ridulous'
(naja you could be able to decode the sound on another pc and use the cpu power of the xbox360 but thats still far far away lets just hope they figure out how to have sound soon ^^)

This post has been edited by Icekiller2k6: Apr 21 2007, 07:42 PM

tomato72

• Archived User
Mythfrontend?
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »

Glad to hear there is access to all 3 CPUs, as multicore processors become more popular I'm sure the linux support won't be far behind, I'm aware that an xbox mythfrontend or XBMC are still far away, and we're likely even further from getting the newer kernels/samsung drive to work (I may need to buy a 2nd used xbox  sad.gif ) I am mostly just wondering if I should get my hopes up for an eventual release of a mythfrontend with smooth HD decoding, or start looking for other frontend devices.  (I'm willing to wait a long time for a 360 myth frontend if its likely to come)