xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta  (Read 1812 times)

burgerbee

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(Sonic-NKT @ Apr 4 2007, 02:38 PM) View Post

btw, can i solder any type pf 80GB SATA in my 360 and use that without problems (use the whole 80GB) with linux. (yes i know i cant use it for the 360 software)

Any 2.5" SATA drive will work without modifications with the box and linux. 3.5" SATA drives will not fit in the hd-case and you will need adapters and sort out the power supply yourself. And yes, you can use the full capacity of the drive in linux.

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2007, 05:59:00 AM »

Still waiting for my KingKong game to arrive..

but i have a few questions for those who already hacked their xbox 360.

Is it possible to use the IR (remote controller) and the normal controller yet?

The reason i'm asking this is because if they run then you can use them for SNES, NES etc emulators on the xbox360..

About myth .. I think its bloated and it just looks awfull..
I think we need to be concentrating on Mplayer and build a shell around it like XBMC(360), if it would be possible to keep the standards of xbmc(1) (skins, configs) that would be nice.. Just so that the designers wouldn't have to begin from scratch..

I think the best approuch would be to take a light weight Window manager and turn into a XBMC. Ofcourse this is all far away untill we atleast get sound to work and the videocard..

d131

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(BLKMGK @ Apr 3 2007, 06:16 PM) View Post

This is  a "live" distro. Much like Knoppix in that the O/S boots off of the CD and is only running in memory getting files from the CD as needed. It CAN be installed to the HD but so far not many have done that it seems and the bootup process might be a little kludgy. Oh and it's "real" Linux not a demo version. Still some stuff not working but it's a real OS.

Oh and it seems I have the Sammy DVD drive too grr.gif My box appears to have been made September 06 and has the OLD firmware onboard. Now I need to find a chip for it!

So installing linux is not a one way trip? Once you turn the 360 off or shut down linux it returns to the orignal state. Minus the modded FW.

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(d131 @ Apr 5 2007, 05:21 PM) View Post

So installing linux is not a one way trip? Once you turn the 360 off or shut down linux it returns to the orignal state. Minus the modded FW.

yip

Pepsi_Man0077

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »

So any news on when or if there will ever be a possibility to do this for the sammy drive.. or if you can do it with a higher kernal. Cause i am bummed that the only mod i can do is painting, LED's, and Flash Modchipping. I want the full BANG out of my xbox 360.

Also i think it is fucked up how Microsoft Auto-Updated my 360. I plugged it in online just to play some XBC with halo 2 and next thing i know my kernal is higher than before.. FUCK M$!!!!! I need a job so I can go buy a 360 with a manufacturing date before Jan 1st 2007.... Dammit!

burgerbee

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2007, 04:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(Icekiller2k6 @ Apr 5 2007, 02:06 PM) View Post

Is it possible to use the IR (remote controller) and the normal controller yet?

The reason i'm asking this is because if they run then you can use them for SNES, NES etc emulators on the xbox360..

I think the best approuch would be to take a light weight Window manager and turn into a XBMC. Ofcourse this is all far away untill we atleast get sound to work and the videocard..

No orginal game controller to my knowledge (maybe done), but SNES with an noname usb-gamepad works fine here :-)

If you want sound, you can go usb-audio for now.

QUOTE(noonespecial @ Apr 6 2007, 11:37 AM) View Post

can we use a wireless keyboard on mouse for this.....

It works in linux if it works in linux. So, yes )

vintage_guitar

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »

What about an IDE-SATA adapter for any older HDD?

Icekiller2k6

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(vintage_guitar @ Apr 10 2007, 03:06 PM) View Post

What about an IDE-SATA adapter for any older HDD?

it should work
but i think that you need a powersupply for the converter and you don't have anywere to pull the power from

jxoxn21

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2007, 10:20:00 AM »

I don't have any understanding as to why most of you are going to buy a big hdd, or start soldering a serial, or go as far as buying another 360 with a lower kernal version lol. Unless you're a developer who has enough knowledge to find more exploits or find a way to boot backups off the hdd; this exploit is way too new and serves you no purpose. Tomorrow they will find a way to boot this on every kernal version and release xbmc360 that will work on every 360 and you wasted hundreds of dollars on another system lol. I have kernal 4532 with a hitachi drive, don't get me wrong it's REALLY cool and a cheap desktop computer. But for me, that's about it lol. I could browse the net and talk on mIRC (same thing I do on my Dell with XP)

My point is, give it time to evolve into something big before you spend all of your allowance you got from mommy and daddy on something that's going to be completely obsolete tomorrow. Patience is a virtue and will save you $$ lol.

My 2 cents

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(jxoxn21 @ Apr 13 2007, 05:27 PM) View Post

I don't have any understanding as to why most of you are going to buy a big hdd, or start soldering a serial, or go as far as buying another 360 with a lower kernal version lol. Unless you're a developer who has enough knowledge to find more exploits or find a way to boot backups off the hdd; this exploit is way too new and serves you no purpose. Tomorrow they will find a way to boot this on every kernal version and release xbmc360 that will work on every 360 and you wasted hundreds of dollars on another system lol. I have kernal 4532 with a hitachi drive, don't get me wrong it's REALLY cool and a cheap desktop computer. But for me, that's about it lol. I could browse the net and talk on mIRC (same thing I do on my Dell with XP)

My point is, give it time to evolve into something big before you spend all of your allowance you got from mommy and daddy on something that's going to be completely obsolete tomorrow. Patience is a virtue and will save you $$ lol.

My 2 cents

Some people (like me) do this stuff as a hobbie. Also by doing this I'm forcing myself to learn linux, which is something I've avoided for years as I've never seen a point (windows works just fine for everything I need to do), but I'm glad I'm doing it since I'm learning linux if anything (and yeah I know I could install linux on a PC, but anybody can do that, not everyone can run it on a 360, and very few can ATM).

And now that I've installed Ubuntu on my HDD I can lay in the bed and use IRC and a browser (without changing my settings everytime I start, like when using the gentoo live disc), that's something I can't do cause both my PC's HAVE to stay downstairs.

jxoxn21

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »

cerialkilla: you have a good point, it is really cool, i'm not arguing that. And i'm in the same boat as you, i'm learning linux for the first time and impressing my friends by booting it on my 360. But there are some kids in here that have no idea what they're doing this for, yet bragging they're gonna buy another 360 with a lower firware to do this; THIS I cannot understand lol.

Props to all the hackers that made this possible. DONT STOP MESSIN AROUND!!!!

Anastrophe

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »

QUOTE(eyric101 @ Apr 3 2007, 03:19 AM) View Post

I'm curious, I know vista has a way that you can plug in any usb memory stick of a certain size and it prompts to use that as additional ram.  Does any functionality exist for linux and if so could it be used with the 360 to add memory, though I know it won't help much for games but for running multiple apps, I think the speed should be sufficient.

I believe Vista uses the USB for faster swapfiles (sort of) rather than additional RAM
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]