xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta  (Read 1809 times)

openxdkman

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 01:56:00 AM »

Grats Cpas!

seaweed

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 02:23:00 AM »

cpass, im trying to log in as root but it wont let me.....

Ive tried "blank" and ive tried some "regular" passwords, but it stil wont let me log in as root, any ideas?

Edit: Found out how,,,,used "sudo passwd" and set a new password (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I need to change the network settings, and i have to be logged in as root to do this right?

Another thing,,,how long do you think it will take until someone writes a working sound driver?

This post has been edited by seaweed: Apr 2 2007, 09:35 AM

d-range

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 02:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(Deihmos @ Apr 2 2007, 07:03 AM) *

I wonder how many people are actually interested in this? My bet is very few...

You obviously have no idea how homebrew on the Xbox 1 (or on *any* other console for that matter) started out. And even then: why does it even matter to you how many people are actually interested in this? Consoles don't get hacked to be useful to *you* (or to anyone in particular) you know? Usually the people who hack it first only hack it for fun, to learn stuff and to prove to the manufacturer that no protection is unbreakable. Comments like yours don't belong in a console hacking forum, so next time you can safely keep your thoughts to yourself ok?

This post has been edited by d-range: Apr 2 2007, 09:32 AM

raid517

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 03:20:00 AM »

Man no Samsung support yet. That sucks. Does this mean that it is really very hard to do with Samsung - or that it just hasn't been done yet? I'm asking as there are clearly a LOT of people out there with Samsung drives.

Also is it possible that we will ever have all we need on a single bootable CD/DVD?

I mean changing the DVD is not so bad I suppose, but it still isn't ideal.

Also is this version installable on the 360 hard drive?

Lastly, since I am stuck with two Samsung drives on both the 360's I have access to, can a compatible drive be bought? Can I just buy a drive from somewhere and install it - or is it somehow locked in the firmware to the XBox in question?

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone can give.

PS

Anyway I think it's nuts to say that you can't get any use out of this. To my eyes it's a potentially very powerful media center replacement. I don't give a crap about Xbox live, or games. I have owned an XBox1 for several years and I think in all that time I might have played three games on it - and perhaps then for only 10 minutes at a time - and almost certainly never on live.

My XBox 1 was/is a dedicated media center and media server, which far surpasses anything else that is currently available from even the biggest of the hard ware manufacturers around.

If my 360 can serve the same function - but perhaps eventually support true high definition and mass storage too, then I will simply retire my old XBox 1 and use the 360 as my main media hub instead.

Anyway why on earth are people who question the value and legality of XBox hacking posting on the XBox-scene forum? That my sadly misinformed friends, was pretty much the main reason that this forum was created. Look at all the XBox hacker groups that are here. If Xbox/console hacking doesn't interest you, I suggest you go away and find some other less ambitious forum, with other like minded peoplelike you who probably wouldn't know what an ISO was, or what shaders were, or even perhaps what Linux might be.

This post has been edited by raid517: Apr 2 2007, 10:40 AM

mickik

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 03:38:00 AM »

hopefully this comes to more hacks now we can access almost all files on 360 let the hombrew come

tser360

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2007, 03:59:00 AM »

For those with a samsung : If you REALLY want to run linux now, open your Xbox360.
Meanwhile, copy all required files (livecd, image.squash) to an usb stick or usb harddisk, and make _sure_ those file are in lowercase.

Then burn a cd, based upon the original livecd, without the squash file, but with an replacement kernel for USB (somewhere floating around also)
Then, Boot Kingkong, Connect USB drive. Press start, Insert modified linux disk.

*wait* until the penquins apears, this can take some little time.
Then, Unplug the sata cable of the samsung (at your own risk!).

You will see some exceptions, but you can go ahead with it.
Now the Bootloaderwill detect your usbdrive and procceeds with booting from that.

Note that usb support is far from stable. So don't try to install a complete gentoo on your usb disc, as it will crash.

forzadude2

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 03:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(Deihmos @ Apr 2 2007, 06:03 AM) View Post

Just like nobody were interested in homebrew on the original XBOX? Yeah right...

jacksback

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 04:48:00 AM »

Well Done Cpas and everyone else involved

I have a question

Can someone tell me how to do the following, if it's possible.

I have a faulty Xbox 360 Hard Drive which I want to open up and swap out with another "non Xbox" 40 or 80 gig drive. I want to still use the same 360 Hard Drive case but obviously have a standard sata drive in it. Is it possible to then load Linux on this hard drive and boot it while it's connected to my Xbox 360?

Thanks

Hopeful

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 04:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(Deihmos @ Apr 2 2007, 06:03 AM) *

Are you retarded?

What are you doing on a 360 hacking site if you're not interested in any real "hacking" aka homebrew?

You're just mad because you're a simple worthless pirate and the emphasis is shifting AWAY from keeping firmware hacks working.

News for you: "Backups" has NEVER been the scene's main focus. It was only the main focus for a while because it was closer to homebrew than nothing, now homebrew is breaking surface and taking its rightful place, so go cry elsewhere.

From now on do yourself a favor and keep your disrespectfully simple mind to yourself about the work of people the scene respects and relies on.

If it's not evident by now, you are a retarded ass for making that comment.

ANYWAY BACK TO THE TOPIC

I can't WAIT to see more evolutions of this, as profound as it is so far.

This post has been edited by Hopeful: Apr 2 2007, 12:04 PM

vintage_guitar

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 04:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(Hopeful @ Apr 2 2007, 05:22 AM) View Post

Are you retarded?

What are you doing on a 360 hacking site if you're not interested in any real "hacking" aka homebrew?

You're just mad because you're a fucking worthless pirate and the emphasis is shifting AWAY from keeping firmware hacks working.

Well news for ya: That's has NEVER been the scene's main focus. It was only a focus for a while because it was closer to homebrew than nothing, now homebrew is breaking surface, so go cry elsewhere.

From now on do yourself a favor and keep your disrespectful simple mind to yourself about the work of people the scene respects and relies on.

If it's not evident by now, you are a retarded ass for making that comment.

I quote with emphasis.

throwingks

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 05:28:00 AM »

Is there a To-Do anywhere?

To anybody testing this out. Would an Xbox360 be a good desktop PC (forfeit gaming)? I like and use Ubuntu right now on 1 of my PCs.

I know there is no sound driver, but I'm not sure about the video. Is there a modified ATi driver that hardware renders? Edit: Just reread 1st post. It seems no hardware rendering. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Still a long way to go. Keep up the good work. I am more impressed every day.

This post has been edited by throwingks: Apr 2 2007, 12:31 PM

forzadude2

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2007, 06:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Apr 2 2007, 11:59 AM) *

To anybody testing this out. Would an Xbox360 be a good desktop PC (forfeit gaming)? I like and use Ubuntu right now on 1 of my PCs.

I know there is no sound driver, but I'm not sure about the video. Is there a modified ATi driver that hardware renders? Edit: Just reread 1st post. It seems no hardware rendering. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Still a long way to go. Keep up the good work. I am more impressed every day.

It might be a bit low on ram if you want to run many apps simultaniously, but the livecd isn't swapping with gnome, firefox and emacs (of course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) loaded. Anyways, sound can be done with usb-headset at the moment, but graphics driver isn't up to par as you can't change resolution yet.

I've been thinking of giving one of these to replace my cusins ubuntu-1200mhz celeron, but I'm waiting   until a better graphics driver is availiable. It doesn't make as much noise when the dvd rom is idling (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Anyways, at least I can build a fast distcc-cluster  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

If you are going to install ubuntu, boot with gentoo live cd and use debootstrap. Remember to make an image of your old harddrive, or use a another 2.5" sata drive. Any 2.5" sata works great, but it wont show up in xbox-windows (not that it matters when you are only going to use it with linux)

This post has been edited by forzadude2: Apr 2 2007, 01:12 PM

bucko

• Recovered User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 06:01:00 AM »

Nice work, I guess it can only get better now cool.gif

cohan

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 07:04:00 AM »

It kills me that I have the new kernel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cussing.gif)

lambert88

• Archived User
Gentoo Livecd Xenon Beta
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »

Hi, i dont know if this is possible but feel free to put me right.

to save the expence of dual layer discs could we delete some data that is not used from the game as we only get to the press start screen to make it fit on a dvd r.

Thanks

lambert
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6