xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Problems Swapping Gamertags Between Accounts  (Read 141 times)

SelfEvident

• Archived User
Problems Swapping Gamertags Between Accounts
« on: December 28, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »

Alright, let's set up a hypothetical.  I have 2 accounts (making up names):  SelfEvident1 & SelfEvident2

SelfEvident1 gets permabanned.  Waited 3 weeks to find out why, never received email, posted in the support forum, never got a response, emailed, called, live chatted, the works, but never found out why, and I was tired of waiting.  However, I REALLY want the "SelfEvident1" gamertag.

So I go to Zune.net, sign in on the banned account, and changed my Zune Tag to "SelfEvident3". (SelfEvident1 is now SelfEvident3).

I then try to change the "SelfEvident2" gamertag to "SelfEvident1".  It says it has been taken.  I check my friends list, and I see that my original "SelfEvident1" gamertag is still there, and hasn't been changed over to "SelfEvident3".

If I go to xbox.com, and sign in with the original "SelfEvident1" gamertag, it says that it is now "SelfEvident3".  So I know that the Zune trick worked.

So I figure, maybe I have to try to log in on the console and it will update everything.  I try to log into the "SelfEvident1" (now technically SelfEvident3) gamertag, and I get a message saying that it has invalid information and cannot sign in, please download it blah blah blah.  I suppose this is due to the gamertag change, as before it would simply just not let me connect to LIVE on the banned account.

So I try an experiment.  I go on SelfEvident2 gamertag, and look at my friends list.  I see that "SelfEvident1" is still there.  I remove the friend.  I then ADD "SelfEvident3", and what do you know?  It goes through to "SelfEvident3", as if that was an active tag.  So I try to change my gamertag to the "SelfEvident1", but it still says it is taken.

I'm really confused here guys.  My buddy changed his gamertag, and the very next day, a buddy of ours took his old one, so I know it shouldn't take THAT much time to recycle.  It's been a day now, and it's still unavailable.  What should I do?