xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question About Banning From Live In The Next Gen  (Read 208 times)

KAGE360

• Archived User
Question About Banning From Live In The Next Gen
« on: August 15, 2005, 02:28:00 PM »

my guess is this......

......we all know (or should) that you transfer your live account/gamertag to the 360, regardless of both of your systems connected to live at the same time, if they see you on your modded xbox on live and ban you then that would also ban your account off of the 360 for however long the ban lasts.  i dont think it has been asked or discussed if you can connect both your xbox and 360 using the same gamertag, all i remember reading is how 360 players can play with xbox players over live on the same game.

VariableElite

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 06:44:00 PM »

They will not be able to ban you simply because there is a modded Xbox on the same network.

Just imagine... college campuses full of modded Xboxes and your brand-new 360 gets banned for being on the same network? Imagine the uproar...  rolleyes.gif

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 08:05:00 PM »

i never said they would ban the network. the gamertag/account they will ban however.  if his account is recorded using a modded xbox i would think that would mean a ban.  i dont know how live works with modded xbox's or how long a ban lasts once it starts.  but i do know they ban on account

VariableElite

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »

As long as you don't sign into Live with a modded system, you won't be banned (at least not for using a modded system).

I never said anything about banning the network, only banning your system because of someone else modding theirs. (Which will never happen, was my point.)

If they were to ban 360s that had detected modified Xboxes running on the same network, they would basically be punishing innocent people -- there are many situations where you would have no idea (and more importantly, no control over) what other computers/gaming consoles were operating on the same network.

So, no, what you're worried about will never happen.

sn4k13s

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »

also, the ban is for the modded console, not the gamertag. you can be banned from playing on live on your modded xbox but take your gamertag via memory card to a friends house and play on his xbox.  so even if the scenario you are asking were to happen, your modded xbox might receive a ban but you could still play on live with your xbox360, assuming you hadnt modified it also.
however you are safe from that happening. because when you sign into live on your xbox or your xbox360 you initiate a connection with the live servers and your machine only(both sides have to handshake). meaning xbox live does not there-after recieve access to every machine or computer on your network. the live servers have no way of detecting your modified xbox on your network just b/c you signed into live on your xbox360, your modified xbox is not in the correct state to communicate with the live servers, and will just ignore any xbox-live network traffic.
hope i explained my reasoning well enough.