xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Encryption For Ping Limit  (Read 128 times)

joshin2472003

• Archived User
Encryption For Ping Limit
« on: August 28, 2008, 11:50:00 PM »

isn't it somewhat similar if someone were to crack someone's wireless wifi signal. I know that the encryption method is different but wont there still be similarities in the packets? Maybe i'm wayyy off on this but couldn't this be possible.
thanks again.
josh

foogrrr

• Archived User
Encryption For Ping Limit
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »

there is no 'KEY' for the "ping limit" restriction on any system link game (assuming that is what you are refering to).

what i believe you are asking is that, how can you modify the latency restriction for system link games.

latency is the time it takes for one packet to go from computer A to computer B.

the value that controls the latency is not encrypted, the value that controls this is the TTL (Time to Live).
when a packet is sent from any computer, it is tagged (for lack of a better word) with a TTL which is the amount of time the packet has to reach its destination before it becomes invalid.

im not not sure what the exact TTL is for system link traffic although i do know it is a lot shorter than XBL traffic. and works out to be approx. 20ms (in time measurement) to get from computer A to computer B.

you may be able to intercept every packet and change the TTL , you may even need to repackage the packet (not sure).

but regardless im sure the restriction is there for a reason. but hope that sums up what i believe you are asking.

cheers,
   foogrrr