xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How Do I Keep My Discs from Getting Scratched?  (Read 5250 times)

Bubbalynch

• Archived User
How Do I Keep My Discs from Getting Scratched?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2008, 01:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(Polto @ Jan 28 2008, 07:41 PM) *

any1 know if discdefender will be harmful to the disc? http://www.discdefender.com/DiscDefender/

I do not sudgest that you use that.

Heres why:

1) What if it comes off with prolonged usage of the disc? Sounds lovely to have some material like that getting spun around in your 360's drive. Yeah, thats just what it needs.......

2) As if the laser doesn't have enough crap to go through to read a disc with a few scratchs hear and there, lets put a film of whatever the hell that crap is over the disc and make the laser work harder to read it! Awesome!

3) How about just taking better care of your discs? I use mine all the time and have no need what so ever for a product like that. There is no sure way to not damage a disc, its going to happen. Just don't let it get too bad and if it does, make a backup.

sammytomjohn

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »

3) How about just taking better care of your discs?

BUBBA UR THE MAN IVE HAD MY ELITE SINCE RELEASE I DONT GET SCRATCHES TRUE THE PROTECTIVE FILM COULD GET STUCK IN THE DRIVE AND THEN U GONNA HAVE TO TAKE IT ALL APART

MAKING BACKUPS IS THE BEST WAY USE THE BACK UPS ALL THE TIME AND PUT UR ORIGINALS AWAY IN A SCRATCH FREE INVIROMENT  tongue.gif

ITS GONNA COST U OTHERWISE  muhaha.gif

mafiafan123

• Recovered User
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »

I Know the disc snap on covers were not good and cut the life of the drive but idk about those

thief

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »

In my opinion, if the 360 comes out with a DVD drive which is prone to scratching disks even with a simple bump, then you have grounds for a design fault. I've seen the insides of a few of the different models of DVD drives which come with the 360 and some have the buffers stopping disks from swaying. I wouldn't mind paying an extra dollar for my new 360 if I knew it would come with the buffers!!

The biggest problem here is not the hardware but the human-ware. Everyone is having so many problems just talking nicely to MS/XBox support. Can't we complain to consumer affairs about them? I get better customer service from Mohammed at the local milk bar- even after I've jokingly given him sh*t over the Iraq wars.  biggrin.gif

If we could get MS support to take more care of its customers, then we will all have a win-win situation. But at the moment, all they are doing is alienating themselves from the Human Race. Hey MS, wake up!!

What's Sony support like? Tell you now, if it's better than MS then I'm considering getting a PS3 instead and use my 2 week old 360 as a trade! That'll shake MS' cart (and maybe scratch it too I hope!)

rakanboiboik

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 04:26:00 AM »

Can i crap on your face dude? tongue.gif  huh.gif  blink.gif  blink.gif

bdawg8527

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »

you can buy a xbox anti scratch pad( for tipping your 360 and sctatching it) i think thatl work if its a later version might be on all versions not sure but that happened to me as soon as it was tiped over it scrateched it perfectly around it. also play it sitting down. and make sure noting gets into the disk drive.

RGS

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »

So if I do have a scratched or damaged disk and it's microsoft, do I just call the for myxbox number or is that just hardware? And what do they usually charge for replacement? Thank you.

b0b33

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 03:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Mar 24 2006, 12:20 PM) View Post

There have been many reports of discs getting scratched, or cracked from the Xbox 360 DVD drives.

MOST of those are due not to faulty consoles but user error, failure to read the product documentation, and failure to use common sense.

WHAT TO DO ON DAY ONE:
When you first get your console throw a disc in there that you don't care about. A Burned CD or DVD, if your console doesn't scratch this disc then you'll probably be good for the life of your console. Based on reports consoles don't just start scratching discs, they either always scratch them, on never scratch them (with the exception of user error). If you're worried your new console might scratch discs out of the box, test it out with some inconsequential backups of CDs or DVD movies (that's what backups are for).

If for some reason your console does scratch your test disc, without you having moved the console at all, then contact MS straight away to get a replacement console. Contact information for your area should be available in the included documentation, in the US they can be contacted at 1-800-4-MY-XBOX

DON'T MOVE YOUR CONSOLE WITH A DISC IN THE DRIVE
This is just plain, old fashioned, common sense. Your Xbox 360 is not a portable or mobile device, it's made for the living room, it was never designed with the intent to be moved. And even if you didn't have the smarts to realize your console should never be moved while a disc is in the drive it was pointed out in the documentation that came with the console (yes it was there on launch day). Apparently people still didn't get the message so MS has started including a warning sticker over the DVD tray that warns you not do move your console with a disc in the drive.

ESPECIALLY DON'T MOVE YOUR CONSOLE WHILE ITS ON
Moving your console while it's on is just plain stupid, again the Xbox 360 is not a portable or mobile device, it's made to be stationary. Not only will any discs in the drive get scratched to complete crap but you also risk damaging your DVD drive, and HDD (if you've got one). With the addition of wireless controllers there should be no reason your console would ever be moved while it's on, you can't even accidentally pull it with the controller cable anymore.
If you move your console while it's on you deserve whatever scratches your disc receives.

WHAT TO DO WHEN SHUTTING DOWN:
Never leave discs in the console, this goes beyond disc scratching issues. If you happen to move your console around your house a lot, or bring it to friends' houses, it's good practice to ALWAYS remove the disc before you shut the console down. If you get in that habit it will reduce your chances of leaving a disc in accidentally while moving it.

In addition to that, some games also have problems with creating corrupted game saves. This happens when auto-sign-in is enabled and the games boot directly from the disc. Both DOA4 and COD2 had issues with this (they have since been fixed with LIVE updates) but it's a good habit to not leave your disc in the the console when you're shutting down.

HOW TO HANDLE DISCS IN GENERAL:
-NEVER touch either flat surface of the disc, it's also good practice to not let anything else touch the flat surface of the disc either. Always handle it by the outer edge and inner ring of the disc, on an Xbox 360 disc these areas contain no data to reduce the risk of damage.
-When you remove your disc from the console it should go directly from your console into it's case, snap cases are designed to keep the disc safe, and they work much better then disc binders, or leaving your discs out in the open.
-If you absolutely MUST set the disc down, ALWAYS set it down on the "shiny side", NEVER set it down on the "label side". The way discs are designed the shiny side has a .6mm thick protective plastic layer, the label side of most discs offers no protection at all. If you scratch the shiny side it is probably repairable, if you scratch the label side, there is no way to repair the disc, you will have to buy a new one.
-If you happen to have dust or smudges/fingerprints on your disc you can remove these with a "Disc Wipe" these can usually be purchased at any store that sells games, DVDs, and/or CDs. Alternatively wipes made for eyeglasses may also be used. Be sure to only touch the surface of the disc with the wipe and not with your fingers or anything else. When wiping the disc it is recommended you start at the center and wipe out toward the outer edge, never wipe in a circular fashion. Wiping from the inner circle out will remove the dust and oils out and off the disc, while wiping in a circular motion will only spread it around and could potentially cause scratches.

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR DISC DOES GET SCRATCHED:
If your Xbox 360 console scratches a disc while following the advice above there are things you can do.
First test out the console with some backups of CDs or DVD movies to see if the console scratches those discs as well, if it scratches your test disc, it's probably not just a one time occurrence and you should contact MS for a replacement console.
If your console has scratched an MS Game Studios brand disc contact MS and request a replacement disc. MS can only replace MS discs. If a different game, DVD or CD is scratched, contact the publisher for that disc. Be forewarned that most will not replace your disc. Most that will replace it will also require you send back your broken disc.
If you are unable to have a new disc sent to you look into a disc resurfacer. The "Spin Doctor" is probably the most well known of these devices. Basically they strip off a very thin layer of that .6mm protective plastic (for example it might reduce it to: .55mm) If the layer removed by the resurfacer is thicker then your scratches are deep then you should end up with a smooth, unscratched surface. Because it removes plastic from the disc, it can only be used on a single disc two or 3 times before it has removed too much of the disc for it to remain readable. If you can't afford to buy a disc resurfacer there are services that will resurface your discs for you. This technique should only be used as a last resort.

VERTICAL OR HORIZONTAL?
Which position is less likely to scratch your discs? So far there is no data to suggest the one way or another is better or worse in terms of scratching discs in an Xbox 360. OTHER devices however (such as PS2s, PC drives, etc.) are less prone to scratches while in the horizontal position. If you have a choice I would also recommend the horizontal position over vertical due to the simple fact that the console is more stable in that position, and less likely to topple, or wobble from vibrations (be it from the 360's drives or some other source). The console should function fine in either position though.

BAD ADVICE THAT FLOATS AROUND THE FORUMS:
Keeping your discs scratch free is really a simple process, and it boggles the mind how some simply can't follow common sense. Even still some promote using OTHER methods of disc protection instead of just not being stupid. Here are some things you'll hear people recommend that are just flat out bad advice.

D-Skins
D-Skins are probably one of the worst things you can do to your DVD drive. While they DO protect your discs from scratches, the cure in this case is worse then the disease. Because they're so cheaply made they're typically not very balanced, this causes added vibrations that will not only make your drive more noisy but it will also significantly shorten the lifespan of the servo motor through having to push the extra weight (it DOES make a differences to such delicate electronics). In addition to motor burnout you also risk bearing run-out, which will probably occur before the servo motor burns out, even worse if bearing run out occurs it will make your drive far more likely to scratch discs you put in it. Both of these things can also significantly increase the noise level of your drive.

Past motor issues it also wreaks havoc on the laser. The added vibrations and added thickness of the plastic between the laser and the data, not to mention microscopic dust and other particles that get caught between the skin and the disk (which creates an un-even surface) cause the laser to increase it's power (which can cut it's lifespan in half) as well as risk burning out the focus servo on the laser array. In addition to that you increase the chance of miss reads which can lengthen your load times.

Foam Bumpers and other drive modifications
This is another bad idea. If your drive is scratching discs when treated properly, GET IT REPLACED, MS will replace your console without hassle, DO NOT TRY TO FIX IT YOURSELF. If you open your console you will void your warranty and MS will not fix your console for you. Past that, these "fixes" only supposedly protect you from the stupidity of moving your console with a disc in the drive, which you shouldn't be doing anyway.
This should cover everything you need to know about how to not scratch your discs, if I missed something PM me and let me know and I'll consider adding it.

Any topics that pop up about discs scratching will most likely be closed with a link referring to this topic, so save yourself the effort and don't bother.

Thanks. Lots of information and tips. I experienced a scratched disc myself when my box was accidentally bumped and tipped from a vertical position while being used. The disc was scratched a bit and was still read by my box but after awhile the game started to freeze. I had to stop to lessen the damage.

ncoop23

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »

So my friend bought an xbox on day 1 then about 6 months ago got the red ring and had to get it replaced.  Now the new xbox is scratching discs and MS wont take it back and fix it.  What can he do?

Lazeyd

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 04:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(hanksemenec @ Mar 14 2007, 12:17 AM) View Post

I just put in a new Crack Down disc. As soon as xbox started, noise came out of the DVD drive and the disc was scratched. The unit is upright and it was not moved or bumped.

I wander how many people had the same experience.

Hank

Yeah Same Happened With Me But I Realize It Was My Firmware ph34r.gif

360 Flashing-UK

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »

I find that if you back up/install the games to your xbox 360 hard drive any scratches will have less of an effect on your game playing experience. (Of course it helps to install it before it gets scratched)

It is also found to be more beneficial to have your 360 set up to be on it's side.

Hope this helps.

run187

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »

Having xbox stood up will scratch disks semms to spin faster that way ruined my fall out 3 (no loss)
also triping over xbox well disk is spining will scratch games  biggrin.gif
and as mentioned install to hd does help even if disk becomes scracthed after that then it will still work
due to only needing 3 second verify thingum (unless your dog eats it or kids think frisbe )..

40_ounce

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »

I use the D-Skins and love them. Now that we can download the full game to our harddrive the dvd drive doesn't have to access the disc as much anymore. I know you are going to say,"weel I have 50 games and I cant download them all to my harddrive" What I do is just download the games that I play the most. Also It wouldn't hurt to gt a 120gig hdd from ebay or fry's or whereever you shop then just "hack" it to use on the xbox 360. Thats what I did....

Doctrine Dark

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »

will i have problem using those Phillips cleaner discs on my xbox 360?

Machine15825

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »

Go to LLAMA.com and buy the pads for inside your xbox dvd drive.   Mistakes to happen, xboxes get knocked over, and bumped around....  They mount to the case of your drive and put no pressure on the disc, just limits the amount the CD can tip......    

If I recall correctly I think they run around 3.99 a pair...   My daughter knocked over my XBOX and damn near ruined my Halo 3 disk..   Good think I have a disk DR.  

They have good reviews. Check them out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4