xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Region Coding: Games and Consoles  (Read 2234 times)

Xombe

• Archived User
Region Coding: Games and Consoles
« on: December 18, 2005, 01:21:00 AM »

These questions have been asked at least once a day recently:

"Can a console from Region X play games from Region Y?"
"Is a Japanese Xbox 360 region free?"
Etc.. etc..

Here's some things you should know:

Every console is set to a certain region meaning that, like a DVD player, they will read whatever titles they can.  
Every game, similar to DVDs, is either coded to a certain region or contain NO region coding whatsoever.

This means a console can play games coded to their region AND any games that have NO region code.

The deciding factor is the game.  Some North America region (NTSC, sometimes called NTSC-U/C) games are region free and are thus playable on any console in the world. The use of region coding is up to the publisher.

Of the available U.S. titles for the original Xbox, about 150 or so games are region free, to my knowledge This means that if bought retail in the U.S. they will play on a stock Japanese Xbox (this is not a 100% accurate assessment of the world over as I've never tested PAL region games on a Japanese Xbox nor vice versa).

This trend may or may not carry over to the Xbox 360.  Call of Duty 2 for the X360 appears to be region free and playable on a Japan region console, but this is not so surprising as both COD: Finest Hour and COD: Big Red One (original Xbox titles) are also region free.

However, if choosing to import, video standard and power issues also need to be addressed when bringing certain consoles into the equation. For example, Australia running on 220/240 volts and uses a PAL signal, while the U.S./Canada runs on about 120 volts and uses an NTSC signal..

We will assume that those considering importing a console that outputs a signal different to the common standard of their region to be intelligent enough to already know, and be able to, address these issues.

Here is a good guide for which games work where: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-xbox360...uide-49-en.html

Note: This is just a basic note to address these FAQs.  Please PM me with info or clarifications.  Thank you.

This post has been edited by Xombe: Apr 2 2006, 08:37 AM

shamuskain

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »

I am traveling to China in a couple of weeks and wondering if I bought a 360 and brought it back, would a mod chip allow me to get around the regional issues with the games?
Secondly would a new power supply need to be installed to be compatible with NTSC?

ikitub

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 12:44:00 AM »

1. no
2. no

Phat Phreddy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »

Trying to understand how many regions there are..

Most online lists I have seen have Euro PAL and a NTSC J and NTSC U for 3 categories..

Yet I am in a PAL asian country.. I know many of the boxes sold here are japanese ones.. I am guessing that they pre switch to a PAL output before sale (and they pre flash 90% of boxes sold here)..

But is there a definitive list of what regions there are ??

What would a PAL Asian box be ?? Australasian ??

ITMASTER

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 12:31:00 AM »

Does somone tested PAL game on NTSC J Hong-Kong version?
Please post result

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 02:32:00 AM »

Would depend entirely on the specific game...

Fashish

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »

My x360 is a Pal version, if a game says NTSC region free, does that definitely mean it'll run on my system? Probably a stupid question but better to be safe than sorry! ;p

mufaa

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(Fashish @ Dec 13 2006, 09:27 PM) View Post

My x360 is a Pal version, if a game says NTSC region free, does that definitely mean it'll run on my system? Probably a stupid question but better to be safe than sorry! ;p

Yes it will work. If a game is region free means it will work on any console. No idea why they still tag with PAL or NTSC stickers though.

chorizo1

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(Fashish @ Dec 13 2006, 11:27 AM) View Post

if a game says NTSC region free,

never seen a game that has a NTSC REGION FREE Sticker on it?

PhR0ZeNP

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »

Can any one tell me what stands on the label that is on the A/C adapter from a japanese Xbox360 (or take a picture of it).

I want to know especially the voltage, if it's from 100-240V.

I also wounder if i install i chip on my japanese xbox360, if i will be able to play burned games, burned europen games or bought europen games?

thanks

gurry

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »

with dvd players a region hack is available/

is there such a work around for the 360 yet?

what can be done to make games region free if you back em up?

many thanks

gurry

happy christmas to al a xboxscene

EvilBoris

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 04:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(PhR0ZeNP @ Dec 21 2006, 09:56 PM) View Post

Can any one tell me what stands on the label that is on the A/C adapter from a japanese Xbox360 (or take a picture of it).

I want to know especially the voltage, if it's from 100-240V.

I also wounder if i install i chip on my japanese xbox360, if i will be able to play burned games, burned europen games or bought europen games?

thanks

Japanese machines are 110v , buy yourself an asian machine, they play the japanese and asian games but come with a 240v adapter.

Kusanagi2k

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 01:59:00 PM »

Hello there.

I know this topic has been kinda left out but i have something to ask.

Is the 360 able to play PAL (region free) games without problems?

I ask because i remember the PS2 having some audio, and video issues (i.e. audio going off way later than what it should and screen being cut on borders or scrolled waaaay down)

Thanks in advance happy.gif

b0b33

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 03:38:00 AM »

The last post was a year ago but I found a site that has a regional compatibility guide. Hope this helps. tnx.

Devil Soul

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »

guys i need lil help here, i got GTA4 (NTSC) for my Xbox 360 & it gave me region error, this there any solution for this, if i get myself PAL to NTSC convertor, will it resolve this issue, thanks
Pages: [1] 2