xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 360 Keeps Beeping  (Read 214 times)

scuba156

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« on: February 18, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »

im assuming you mean through the speakers.

what audio channel are you using? (HDMI, Optical, Stereo)

1nsan3

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »

The xbox 360 has no speaker system on its internals of any type so that wasnt a beep you heared...
whatever it was ... it was a noise.... so that cant be good ...

scuba156

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »

as the xbox has no internal speakers like a PC does, it will more than likely be the laser focusing. have you had any trouble with your discs?

n99wby

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »

was the divx from a disk? if so then its defo the drive making the noise.. it may not be buggerd but rather a dodgy disk or a bad burn. so dont worry.

The beep from the DVD is usually quite quiet I think its whn it resets to the centre again try streaming the file from the pc instead fella.

scuba156

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »

are you able to reproduce this? does it only happen with the one disk?

danipukok

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »

ive heard beeps before when performing the x-clamp fix

possibly a gpu problem

wallacejbj

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »

probably sounds daft, but could a screw vibrating inside sounding like a beep, friend had similair thing he thought his was beeping but it was just a screw that was vibrating when he was playing on gears

poisonousjuice

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 09:00:00 PM »

I'm in the process of researching this problem myself.  I have a newer falcon chip 360 with a BenQ drive.  at seemingly random times the 360 will make a beep noise, seemingly internal.  now I know everyone says there's no internal speakers, and I certainly didn't see one when I opened it up myself but the sound really sounds like it's coming from the 360 itself and not from my surround sound system.  I'm using an optical cable for digital audio... however I've also gotten the beep noise when it was connected to an old tube tv at my brother's house using the standard RCA cables so I'm POSITIVE the 360 is making the noise and not another electronic device.

Ever since I've been paying attention to the beeping, it always seems to happen during Divx playback, either via disc or streaming.  This sound never happens when I use my elite model for Divx playing.

Any googling research I do on this subject seems to result with people going 'you're crazy' or 'it must be something else' but I know there's definately a small minority of people who's 360s are making beeps!!!

oh and also when the beep happens, there's no otherwise type of distortion in the video nor does it reproduce the sound if I rewind the video to when the beep happened.  My 360 has never freezed or 3RODed.

thief

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »

I wonder if it's the DVD drive's internals lacking lubrication?

nadnerb

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(poisonousjuice @ Mar 12 2008, 03:36 AM) View Post

I'm in the process of researching this problem myself.  I have a newer falcon chip 360 with a BenQ drive.  at seemingly random times the 360 will make a beep noise, seemingly internal.  now I know everyone says there's no internal speakers, and I certainly didn't see one when I opened it up myself but the sound really sounds like it's coming from the 360 itself and not from my surround sound system.  I'm using an optical cable for digital audio... however I've also gotten the beep noise when it was connected to an old tube tv at my brother's house using the standard RCA cables so I'm POSITIVE the 360 is making the noise and not another electronic device.

Ever since I've been paying attention to the beeping, it always seems to happen during Divx playback, either via disc or streaming.  This sound never happens when I use my elite model for Divx playing.

Any googling research I do on this subject seems to result with people going 'you're crazy' or 'it must be something else' but I know there's definately a small minority of people who's 360s are making beeps!!!

oh and also when the beep happens, there's no otherwise type of distortion in the video nor does it reproduce the sound if I rewind the video to when the beep happened.  My 360 has never freezed or 3RODed.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm experiencing!
Must be something to do with Divx then

nadnerb

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 05:51:00 AM »

It just happened when playing a DVD too.
It's very strange!

scuba156

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 06:36:00 AM »

possibly the DVD drive or the HDD

hardcandy

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »

After looking around, I think I found the solution. On the Cheap-ass Gamer forum, a fellow had persistent beeping. He used a stethoscope and  pinned it down to the hard drive (he had a 120GB drive). He took the drive off and used a memory card- no more beeping. He used a friend's extra 360 hard drive and no beeping. He got a replacement 120 GB drive from Microsoft and no beeping.
Other places had postings that said: "I got the beep and then my 360 died", "I heard beeping and my dvd drive messed up".
I think it is hard drive failure (which can cause the 360 to die or the dvd drive to not function) and hopefully you can get a replacement drive from MS. .

scuba156

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 09:47:00 AM »

your case is different. HDD's can 'beep' due to bad platters, or bad parts.

if your watching a movie, the 360 does use the HDD to store bookmarks. the bookmark is more than likely constantly written to keep the bookmark up to date with a few other things. if your also connected to LIVE, you may unknowingly be downloading something from the marketplace, or may be storing data sent to and from LIVE. it may also happen while your playing games, but may be less noticable due the the noisy DVD drive

Philgag

• Archived User
360 Keeps Beeping
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(nadnerb @ Apr 18 2008, 09:44 AM) View Post

Interesting, I'll give it a try without the HDD plugged in.

Any update on the issue? Mine beep too, from time to time. 2008 falcon model. No crash/rrod. Happened playing games or in dashboard.

Called MS and lady said never hard of that, went asking someone ,and came back saying I should not worry, but they would replace it if it bothered me.

I hope the HDD is not going down sad.gif