xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Few Questions Regarding The Play Of Backups On An Xbox 360  (Read 91 times)

ando2k5

• Archived User
A Few Questions Regarding The Play Of Backups On An Xbox 360
« on: December 26, 2006, 06:33:00 AM »

well opening your xbox up breaks the warranty straigh away and to play backups you need to flash your drive with the correct firmware

Zoneout

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 07:48:00 AM »

Hello,

There are two different drives in the 360 to be flashed, Hitachi and Samsung. You can tell which drive by the picture below:
IPB Image
(Look at the difference in drive trays to tell the difference between the two, by ejecting your 360.)
All versions of samsung can be flashed, MS25 and MS28. Also applies to Hitachis as well.

Firmware flashing enables the drive of the 360 to read burnt backups also another feature is to "quieten" the drive by lowering the read speed to 2.4x because of complaints by the noise the drive makes. But whatsoever you can choose it to read at 16x to speed up load times but you'll also have to deal with the noise if it bothers you.

There are 2 firmware releases, Xtreme for Samsung and Maximus-Garyopa for Hitachis. You need to open your 360 case in order to get to the 360 drive thus voiding your warranty.

Guide for opening the  pop.gif 360

Samsung Drive Firmware Flash Guide

Hitachi/LG v78 Flashing

To flash your 360 you need to connect a SATA cable to your 360 drive and the computer. For Samsungs you need to know what chipset your card/pc motherboard has. The one that works most is VIA 6421L Chipset, usually found in SATA PCI add-on cards.

If you want to make backups by the pc you need a Samsung SH-D162 DVD Rom Reader flashed with Kreon 0.81 firmware.

Hope this helps

Zoneout

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 09:38:00 AM »

Yeah It'll violate M$ live terms of service even if you go online with the modified firmware, but you can always flash back to the original firmware to update the console/download things and flash again to the modified one.

Zoneout

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 09:47:00 PM »

Why not get the Xcecuter Blaster360, with that you'll never open the case again:
IPB Image

The Xecuter Blaster360 is an external switching device when, once fitted, allows you to flash your DVD Firmware without ever having to open up your Xbox 360 case ever again. In the era of constant firmware updates this is an absolutley essential tool saving both time and effort, making the firmware update process a walk in the park.

Also transfers to your PC is now a fast and simple process. A perfect ergonomic design maeans there is no soldering and no cutting of the external case - just plug 'n' go. You only ever have to open up your case once!

No longer will you have to have your Xbox 360 in pieces all the time, no longer will you have to take the Xbox apart every time you need to update new features and functions or essential bug fixes.

Feature List:

* Once installed never open up the case again to update firmware
* Works with ALL firmware updateable drives (Hitachi & Samsung)
* High Quality Digital Sata Exchange Switching
* No soldering, no external damage, no problem !
* 5 minute install
* Auto switches to PC mode when Blaster360 is connected to molex PSU
* Auto switches to Xbox 360 default mode when not connected to Molex PSU
* Modeb switch for Hitachi
* Eject Button
* High quality Sata Port (to connect to SATA or X360USB externally)
* Samsung MS28 / Power On-Off Switch
* Molex Power connector (no lugging around the 360 PSU plus electrical safety is ensured)
* Superior quality design - no cheap China manufacturing
* Ergonomically matched to the 360 case
* LED Glow feature
* LED Glow Off / Led Perm On / LED Off switch

xenobie

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 02:23:00 AM »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post after hours of reading and reading.

Ok here goes ..

As said above, there are 2 methods for playing backups. Either flashing the dvd drive which could be a bit of a hassle in my opinion, or to install a modchip such as the 'globe 360'. One of the features of the globe 360 is that is disconnects the network if it detects a backup and connects again if its an original ... right?

So .. about the patching.. what exectly are the patches for? Game patches or the XBOX itself?
If I have a deactivated modchip (due to inserting an original) would I be able to get the required patches?

.. could anyone PLEASE correct what I know and give me some opinions and open my eyes smile.gif  I mean I THINK (coz im not sure) woudn't it be nice to have somthing turn on and off automatically without the need o flashing the drive etc.. etc.. (or am I missing somthing important which is really good if I flash)

THANKS ALL !!

Gamer3526

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 03:59:00 AM »

Xenobie, could you please remove your post and create a new topic? I ask because your questions aren't actually relevant to this thread and this is commonly referred to as "hijacking". Zoneout, that looks a pretty nifty gizmo  biggrin.gif  Only £34.99 as well, I'll definately consider a purchase. Now referring to UnknownParadox, I see what you're saying, but the problem I have with that is my warrenty. I think I'll wait until it expires, then have a shot at this modding.

acdspit00

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »

Do you still need Samsung SH-D162 DVD Rom Reader if you only want to make your own backups from scratch?  Or do you still need it if your one to just download images from the internet...  I would think only if you want to make originals since it says just "Dvd Rom Reader"  Thanks

ando2k5

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »

if you have a samsung drive in your 360 you can use 0008 mode to backup your 360 games

acdspit00

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 06:57:00 AM »

samsung to read the xbox 360 game but whats required (what model burner) to burn the image once its on hard drive.

Knasen

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 01:03:00 AM »

QUOTE(wild eyed @ Dec 29 2006, 02:02 PM) View Post

sorry, im not hijacking the threafd but i have a question thats related. can you use backups with xbox live? i.e. can you play online with a backup?

Yes you can play with backups on Live. Noone knows if MS is able to somehow detect you doing it and if they will ban you in the future for it .