xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26

Author Topic: No, MS Is Not Banning Because Of Firmware  (Read 4257 times)

bonsc2

• Archived User
No, MS Is Not Banning Because Of Firmware
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 10:30:00 AM »

What about not playing your backups on live but getting updaters for games e.t.c is that still risky

Mana

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »

also when the fall update comes will there be an option to update or not.  cos if u dont update does that mean u can still play on live?

KyesaRRi

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 01:45:00 AM »

When an update comes out you wont be able to play on live without the update, you also wont be able to play the latest release games even offline as they will say some bs like:
"This game cannot run without the latest update, do you wish to install the update now? Y / N"

89c4l98

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 08:34:00 AM »

They will not be so nice. If they have a way to ban they will drop the hammer quick.

jamie123

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 03:30:00 PM »

i think microsoft would start banning if they could, it's been around a half year now since these have been out and confirmed working, and there have been plenty of updates in between, i just think they're going to make the drives harder to flash, that's just my opinion...

anyway, when's the fall update supposed to come out?

unreal1ty

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »

Is there anyway MS can tell you have modified the firmware without being on XBOX LIVE?
If you are on xbox live with modified firmware can they do something to your xbox to maybe stop it from working properly altogether?

KyesaRRi

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 09:35:00 AM »

Is there anyway MS can tell you have modified the firmware without being on XBOX LIVE?
If you are on xbox live with modified firmware can they do something to your xbox to maybe stop it from working properly altogether?

We just dont know, plain and simple
Wait for a dash update, watch the x-s news and you should have your answer.

I doubt they will break your xbox, they will only ban it from XBL.

jamie123

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 07:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(KyesaRRi @ Oct 9 2006, 04:42 PM) View Post

We just dont know, plain and simple
Wait for a dash update, watch the x-s news and you should have your answer.

I doubt they will break your xbox, they will only ban it from XBL.

do you know when the fall update is? or does anyone for that matter?

and there indeed has been major dash updates since these firms were released right?

microsnakey

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2006, 11:15:00 AM »

im gettting an xbox 360 tomorrow with xtreme firmware.

im wondering if im go on live. to download demos and stuff. would it automaticly uprgrade my firmware or something so i cant play my backups uhh.gif  uhh.gif

toddgei

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 05:29:00 AM »

I dont know if they can tell if you have the modded dvd firmware or not.

The thing that might be in everyone's favour is that the dvd firmware hack for the xbox 1 didnt happen until after the xbox 360 was developed.  I dont think Microsoft looked down this path, I think microsoft's biggest focus was to try and stop the system being modchipped.  They didnt find out about this chink in their armour which was also there for the first xbox until after they had already released the system.

It all comes down to how much reporting back the machine does to microsoft, it doesnt matter much how software microsoft try to implement if the drive doesnt report its firmware to the system or isnt able to be reported to microsoft then there is nothing that can be done about it.

You would think that if Microsoft have developed drives to make it harder to flash that they may not have a way of knowing otherwise they would just banhammer everyone from xbox live.

OOOOR they realised that by banhammering everyone like they did with the XBox 1 that they lost millions in XBox live revenue by gamers not using it.

I would of had it if I could have and I am sure that many others would be like that also.

So it comes down to 3 senarios

1.  Microsoft cant stop it as the system doesnt report back which firmware the drive has
2. Micirosoft are working on something and the chance is there for a banhammer
3. Microsoft could ban everyone, but realise that every person that they ban they are losing a live member or a potential live membership, which equates to a big loss of money.  I believe that Microsoft made a huge financial mistake by banning people with the first xbox.

saltan23

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »

This question may have been asked before, i couldnt find answers in the search.

so if u get the firmware modded and its stealth, would the risk of playing backed up games be the same as playing originals on live?  if we have the mod, but wanna play originals on live only, would that make any difference in terms of the chance of getting banned?.

and does anyone know when the fall update is scheduled ??

This post has been edited by saltan23: Oct 14 2006, 09:52 PM

tboneski

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »

Are they Kidding? !

barnzy

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »

Live update downtime due to start in 7 hours...

Anyone volunteering a test firmware hacked console to log on to live tomorrow?

biggrin.gif

axess68

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(toddgei @ Oct 13 2006, 12:36 PM) View Post

OOOOR they realised that by banhammering everyone like they did with the XBox 1 that they lost millions in XBox live revenue by gamers not using it.

3. Microsoft could ban everyone, but realise that every person that they ban they are losing a live member or a potential live membership, which equates to a big loss of money.  I believe that Microsoft made a huge financial mistake by banning people with the first xbox.

I think you hit the nail on the head with these points. I've been reading alot about how much money Microsoft lost, and is losing currently.  I have a sneaky suspicion that they are seriously re-thinking banning people. Right now, you can only play backups by modding the dvd drive. There hasn't been anything as far as changing the dashboard, etc....yet.  

I took a break from consoles from 2000-2004. Then, I picked up an Xbox (soon,I got the other 2). So, I'm not sure when the bannings began. I thought it had to do with people cheating in Halo multiplayer by using dashboard trainers, or exploits (ala Evox, etc.).  Maybe someone who knows more can confirm or deny that.

Me, I'm not really worried about being banned from Live. I don't really play multiplayer that often. I use it to download new demos before the come in on an OXM disc. And I like the exclusives they have as well. I chat with a friend I made while we were camping out for our 360's at launch. But, that's about it. I can chat with my friend some other way. And, I also can play multiplayer on my gaming PC. So, it's not a big deal. I would miss Live, certainly. But, I can live without it if I have to.

Flakfiser

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 06:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(DaShiZNiT @ Sep 29 2006, 07:04 AM) View Post

yeah I was gonna say I remember playing on BETA LiVE and then once it launched and went 'LiVE' -hehe
everyone who was playing with a mod was banned

lets just hope for the best

i beta tested live with a modded box, and the day it went official, i was at the store buying a new xbox lol, because i was banned.  i fully expect bannings to start happening soon, but we'll see.  i would imagine we might start seeing people banned tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26