xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Chip To Buy..  (Read 153 times)

ZyRaIN

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« on: September 14, 2006, 07:15:00 AM »

Hi guys,

Been off the marked for a while - And is starting to collect as much information about the xbox360 as possible. So have a question.

What is the "best" chip at the moment and where can I buy it the cheapest way in europe - From denmark

Hope for a quick reply.

Yours Sincerely

Zyrain
Denmark

lmeyer718

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »

well i have a globe360 and xbox 360 thats flashed. globe 360 works well with pioneer 111d burner n verbatims. i flashed my hitachi and it wasnt that hard. you might just wanna try flashing it.

daghostmon

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 08:25:00 PM »

I have to say the NME-360 is better than the globe 360 now. Although my Globe 360 works great their site and support suck. The site tells you nothing and only has a few pics showing how to install it the hardest way using solder points on the board that are almost impossible to solder on instead of the much easier way.
  The nme360 has alot less wires and their web site tells you everything you need even how to backup your game. If you can wait a month or so the fractial360 sounds like its gonna be better than both.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 10:00:00 PM »

Do not get a chip, they're practically useless. The NME I don't think you can even update and the Globe 360 chip (as stated above) sux for support, but I think the chip is socketed so you could take it out if needed, and you can just swap between the 2 FW's and be able to flash the socketed chip and still have your original chip intact. If you do get a chip I'd get the globe I guess though.

Honestly though flashing the FW is fairly easy, and once you have the right hardware setup you can easily update the FW. The chip on the other hand requires some decent soldering, if you've never held a soldering iron I would not even think about it.

Reaper527

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »

to topic starter: the chips don't offer any advantages over a firmware flash at the current time. this isn't like the first xbox where a chip would allow you to run homebrew. both the chip and the firmware flash allow you to run backups of your games, nothing more nothing less. and the same process is required for backing up your games, a chip doesn't give you any shortcuts as far as the Security Sector goes.

This post has been edited by CattyKid: Sep 22 2006, 01:35 AM

fersy

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »

ive heard that if you flash the firmware it can be detected on xbox live is it true and is it the same with a chip or can you install an on/off switch as i had on my original xbox cos ive heard theyve not banned anyone yet but i wouldnt like to chance it as live is a big part of the 360 experience. thanks.

i know this question has been asked loads of times but thats the problem the more i trawl through the responses the more different answers i seem to find so i wanted a definite on it before i go and get myself banned from live. thanks

This post has been edited by fersy: Sep 18 2006, 01:03 AM

BoNg420

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »

just flash your drive and dont waste your money on these chips.

Reaper527

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(fersy @ Sep 17 2006, 07:27 PM) View Post

ive heard that if you flash the firmware it can be detected on xbox live is it true and is it the same with a chip or can you install an on/off switch as i had on my original xbox cos ive heard theyve not banned anyone yet but i wouldnt like to chance it as live is a big part of the 360 experience. thanks.

i know this question has been asked loads of times but thats the problem the more i trawl through the responses the more different answers i seem to find so i wanted a definite on it before i go and get myself banned from live. thanks

*fact*
at the current time MS isn't checking for firmware flashes, and no one knows what they'll do in the future.
*/fact*

*theory*
if they do implement some kind of check, it will probably be in the dashboard as an "always on" check, so a modchip isn't going to buy you much in that regard since the dashboard is running in the background during your games.
*/theory*

fersy

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »

cheers for the info but it seems like im damned if i do and damned if i dont because i could flash the firmware and microsoft may never check or ban me or they may by which stage it will be to late to do anything or i could install a modchip which if they start doing checks may be detectable anyway and once again i could get banned by which stage it will also be too late  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)

guess i will just have to decide whether to chance it or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

thanks again

damwel

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »

Ok, so if I flash the Samsung SH-D162C, to do the extraction, what do I need to do to the Xbox with a Samsung dvd to read it? Which tutorial then do I use for the burning of the backup dvd? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks.

roger1079

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »

the only protection any of the chips will provide is when you are using an ORIGINAL disc on live. using a backup with a modchip installed on live will leave you no more protected than someone who simply flashed their drive directly. basically it boils down to which is more important to you, xbox live or being able to backup your games which are very expensive to replace in the event of damage. microsoft is currently not checking for firmware, but that could be implemented at any time. that is a risk you will take if you are a live user with modified firmware. as far as where to find info on flashing a toshiba/samsung drive, read through the threads in this forum and check out this tool.....it worked for me on the first try.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=548746

This post has been edited by roger1079: Sep 28 2006, 04:44 PM

hammybunghole

• Archived User
What Chip To Buy..
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 05:26:00 AM »

Do not waste your money and just flash you x360 dvd drive firmware