xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Ms Guy Says 360 Will Take A Long Time To Mod  (Read 629 times)

Textbook

• Archived User
Ms Guy Says 360 Will Take A Long Time To Mod
« on: September 04, 2005, 12:40:00 PM »

Taken from the xbox-scene news page:

--------------------------------------------

Micrcosoft about modchips for Xbox 360
>> Gamasutra.com posted an article about what they learned from Xbox 360 presentation at the GDC Europe 2005 in London, most of which has been covered in our previous news items, but in their conclusion they have something very interesting. Andre Vrignaud, Director of Technical Strategy for Xbox Live, referred to modchips for Xbox360:
More interestingly, a question from an audience member on the security for Xbox 360 in terms of 'mod chips' and other devices that modify for imported/illegal content prompted a reply that MS took 2 and a half years on security this time round, whereas the Xbox only had around a year. Vrignaud prompted: "Never say never", but he thinks it's going to be a long time before the Xbox 360 gets modded.

---------------------------------------------

What are your thoughts on this?

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »

I read this too. It will take longer to mod... isn't this a given?   wink.gif

Textbook

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »

I was thinking it would take the same amount of time or shorter for that matter, because the xbox modding scene has gotten a lot bigger and SmartXX already have their hands on three dev kits.  I guess nobody really knows, but I should have made it a poll.  Longer or shorter, and why?

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »

It will take longer because:
1. MS spent more time making there be more security.
2. MS knows how people modded the first Xbox, therefore modding the Xbox 360 might require different techniques.
3. Possibility of active Xbox Live checks.

VariableElite

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »

What, were we expecting him to say it'd take less time? The guy works for MS. It's his job to say that.

In response to Carlo's 3 points:
1. The tighter the security, the more likely a 3rd party dev will "accidentally" leave something in to make his job easier.
2. Every console that has ever been modded has required a different technique than the ones before it. What's your point?
3. No chance. I'm going to have at least 2 360s in my house, and one of them is going to be nowhere near an ethernet jack, and probably never will be.

Regardless, why are we discussing this now? The system isn't even out yet; let's not get into premature debates over how long it'll take to crack it.

Slikmastah

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »

I'm just glad they didn't say, "the xbox 360 is un-moddable" or something like that. By saying that it could be gives us hope and the inspiration we need. But if they did say it was un-moddable, hackers would have definately taken that as a challenge. So this is me just rambling.

exzapel

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 08:37:00 AM »

There is a bigger cance of there being some sort of software exploit in the first few shipments of the Xbox360, due to the fact that they haven't had any field testing therefore, they wouldn't be able to test for exploits as well (not to say they won't do a good job with that) so, we may see, time will tell.

advanitr

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2005, 07:26:00 PM »

I personally like modding things so if you can mod it I will mod it

If you build it they will come....

Yeah sure its goign to be tough to crack hack mod slice and dice but as always, its only a matter of time. And ... theres alot on intrest in modding the next gen console

I've been waiting a long time for a console to take my breath away yeah sure a PC has some Sweet FX but peosonaly thats not where its at the 360 for me will be a dream come true.I wont be modding it..maybe thers somthing ive missed but With all the fan-dangle things u can do with it..the only reason to mod it would be to pirate games.. i mean come on people support the devs ... i bet one day u wished u made games for a living..and imagin how u would feel when someone steels your livlyhood.

Think out of the box. (no pun intended ) beerchug.gif

sting369

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 07:49:00 PM »

There is a very simple response to this. Microshaft claimed that Xbox would be unhackable. You cant burn the games, they are on dvd and cannot be read on a pc dvd-rom.

HA! I muhaha.gif MS.  laugh.gif

Much

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 08:05:00 PM »

Heh 360 will be extremely hard to Mod You will prob have so many ways that you can screw up your 360 if it is Moddable... But in about a year there will be AI's etc. Bu for now I heard there is a security system on the side if it is open that shuts the 360 down true?

gazeddy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 02:48:00 PM »

All i can say is give it time but wouldnt the guys with the devboxes need a retail box aswell surely theyll be different

gamerguy999

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Sidewinder007z @ Oct 22 2005, 02:27 PM)
I found something pretty curious in a news article the other day.

TheMuffinMan

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 01:38:00 PM »

rolleyes.gif

psyko_chewbacca

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 01:52:00 PM »

For what I think, the Xbox 360 will be like the GameCube. With the presence of Media center incorporated with the 360, I think it will be easy to find an exploit and stream DATA to your Xbox from your Computer (using Media Center XP of course). From what I've watched and read, Media center is really taking a big part in the functionning of the xbox 360, MS tells that you will be able to do incredible things with your xbox 360 hooked up to your Computer so I won't be surprised to see an exploit using that theory. Unlike the Gamecube... we will have 100Mbps enabled to stream data to it!!!

It's only a matter of time but I sincerly think this will be the first way to exploit the 360. I think form what M$ learned, it will take lots of time before we actually see a modchip...

ekoostick

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 11:25:00 PM »

Maybe I am looking through it through a strictly non-gamers eyes but doesn't being able to mod an xbox mean more profit. Being some what tech savy but never much into console gaming, I would have never ever picked up an xbox. Some of my friends waited hours for one on the first day and I tried Halo that day and wasn't very impressed (still am not). Jump ahead to a year and a half ago and I catch something on TV about being able to mod these buggers and something called Xbox Media Centre. I start investigating and find that there is a whole slew of things you can do with a modded xbox. I went out the first day they went down to 150$ and picked one up and ordered a chip the next day. Having never soldered before I was able to mod and have the thing running in about 3 hours.

Now I have modded over 30 of these for friends and family all of who did not own an xbox before hand. Still to date the hardest one for me to mod is the v1.0 because the little holes are filled with solder. From 1.2-1.6 those holes were left open and only the littlest element was changed (usually making it easier to mod). I feel like the only reason that xbox has done so well in the past year or so is because of this fact. Why wouldn't they want to keep that momentum with the next gen? I realize it takes away from sales of games but when you want to be #1 console manufacuer (a pretty high honor in todays society), does that matter? I am just trying to look at it from a different perspective and say that they will always have a stance against modding but if it is helping sales as it has done, I don't think it will be long before "OOPS we left a blueprint somewhere obvious" and let the scene take over from there. My 2 cents.

-E
Pages: [1] 2 3