xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hdtv ~ Uk  (Read 346 times)

bucko

• Recovered User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« on: July 03, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »

Hey all I did a search on this none of the topics really answered my question.

I currently have two Xbox's and have lots of cool games like GTA:SA and Forza and the like.

However I'm pondering weather to buy an X360 at UK launch or wait until I have a HDTV. I know I could buy an X360, plug it in my small TV and save up for an HDTV but is it really worth the effort?

I'm thinking it's best until HDTV is widely available at a cheap/affordable price in the UK then I should get an X360.

I'm just wondering if you agree on this option of mine, sorry if it's already been asked.

Twasi

• Archived User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 06:31:00 PM »

It depends on what your current TV supports right now, and how much HDTV's are in your area. All you need is one that can display 720p because 1080i isn't natively supported and will just be upscaled. I would say get the 360 and play it on your TV even if it isn't HDTV, but you could always play it with the VGA adapter on your monitor if you are comfortable playing on something that small. I know a few people who aren't buying HDTV's and just getting monitors with VGA plugs because it's cheaper. If you really want an HDTV before you get the 360 then go ahead and wait because if it isn't launched with HD-DVD it might have one on a later model.

brooksie48

• Archived User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 09:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(munkle @ Jul 3 2005, 09:54 PM)
i dont plan on buying an hdtv at all until they come down alot more in price, im fine playing it on the tv it got, and in the accessories thread it shows you can buy a vga a plug, so if i want better graphics ill just hook it up to my computer monitor, the need just isnt there for me to spend 1000+ on a good hdtv just to play an xbox on

bucko

• Recovered User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 06:41:00 AM »

Cool thanks for the good replies. We have a widescreen downstairs so I could use that but in my room it's a small £60 TV lol.

I do have a 19" CRT and I could use the VGA adapter, that’s if it don't cost loads. Maybe that’s the way to go until HDTV's are cheap? Are they even out in the UK yet?

I may just wait until the X360 is about £100-150 before I buy one I think I felt kind of annoyed when my first Xbox was £150 and my second Xbox was £99, cheaper insides but I think I might wait until everything is cheap, unless I get a job ¬_¬.

crustyteacup

• Archived User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »

i here figures of 5%, and some as high as 13% as the percentage of people who have an hdtv in the US, either way its small. it will be a rapidly expanding market the next couple of years, especially in the US but over here i can't see it taking off until the prices are cheaper and theres actually some use for them cause right now theres only 1 hdtv channel across the whole of europe.

bucko

• Recovered User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 09:09:00 AM »

Thats the thing though, the best thing about the X360 is that it is HD ready, and I would just prefer to buy an X360 with an HDTV it sure would be a better experience than messing around with my CRT and small TV not getting my £££ worth. Godamit 5 years for HDTV! Well that just shows you how annoying it is to live in the UK.

The*galloping*zebra

• Archived User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 09:43:00 AM »

Sky are apparently launching a premium hdtv package, which is coming out next year (06)

bucko

• Recovered User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 11:05:00 AM »

oo thats a good start at least somthing is in the works.

Twasi

• Archived User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 11:09:00 AM »

I would go with the VGA adapter, they are very cheap I can't see it being more than $15-$20, not too terrible for a 19"  'HDTV'. If you don't have a cheap HD service it wouldn't be worth your money to blow $1000 to get a TV that displays everything the same as the one you have now except for when playing the 360. As for waiting that might be a good idea, if you could hold out for until the first price drop there will be some good deals and maybe some new accesories will come in some bundles. The other plus side to that is all the homebrew software (if there is any by then, which there should be) will have quite a few releases and be a solid app and you will have alot less chance of there being a bug in it. It just depends if you're willing to wait to get one, which I'm not but I'm sure you'll have access to one through a friend to hold you over if you choose to wait. wink.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 01:48:00 PM »

Yer I think I'm better of waiting I think my two Xbox's will keep me going for a while and my AMD64 laptop will keep me going as well for PC games. VGA adapter is an option though smile.gif.

crustyteacup

• Archived User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 07:54:00 PM »

do dvds look good upscaled? i would have thought it would look worse, like you know running some low res video clip on your tv looks ok, but if you ran it on your monitor it would look poor because of the higher res of the monitor, no? suppose dvds are higher res than what normal tvs display anyways....

Paranoid666au

• Archived User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »

DVD's are just standard Def 576i PAL or 480i NTSC in the US.

They look fantastic upscaled, very film like. You just need to use a good progresive sacn DVD player or upscaling DVD player. In fact the 360 does pro scan for DVD so It'll deinterlace 480i to 480p and hopefuly it'll do the same with PAL DVD's.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Paranoid666au @ Jul 6 2005, 10:11 PM)
DVD's are just standard Def 576i PAL or 480i NTSC in the US.

bucko

• Recovered User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 05:48:00 PM »

I just read a review of a 21 or 24 inch LCD screen from Dell for about £800. It supports hi-def (all the latest) by default and it would look so good. I think that would be the cheaper way once they get cheaper, yer of course id buy a 360 for the games but theres no point on my crappy TV it looks so small. A bit better on our widescreen but imagine it on one of these gorgeous hi-def dell LCD's.

esdubu

• Archived User
Hdtv ~ Uk
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 07:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(Paranoid666au @ Jul 7 2005, 03:53 AM)

Pages: [1] 2