xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dvd... Enough Space?  (Read 447 times)

Legendary Badass

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« on: June 26, 2005, 02:55:00 AM »

I just don't see how a DVD can hold enough space to support a Hi-Def game. MS wants each game to be supported in 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. I seems to me that it would take up a a lot of disc space to create a game like that. I don't know alot about this stuff, but do you guys think DVDs are good enough for next gen systems?

unsure.gif

Xombe

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 06:23:00 AM »

There are already a number of Xbox games that support all those modes and they fit more than fine on a DVD9 (and some are pretty small, actually).

For example: Dragon's Lair 3D, Enter the Matrix, Syberia, MX Unleahed, etc.

Some were big (like ETM), and some are small (like Atari Anthology, that's hardly a space taker... wink.gif).

I don't think we'll have a problem with the next gen for awhile. But the time will come.  Enter the Matrix required higher res textures, bitmaps, video, etc. and thus was large.

redwolf

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 09:13:00 AM »

this already been discussed many times...

J. Allard said in some interview that they will use compress methods etc.. Halo 2 audio can be compressed to save about 3gb of space wink.gif

CattyKid

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 10:36:00 AM »

The only eeason a lot of games take up so much space it the cutscenes.  We have been told that cutscenes will now be rendered by the in-game engine.  That will save a ton of space.

Also, devs now do not really use that many space-saving techniques as it takes some time.  A large game could easily be shrunken down to fit ojn a DVD-9 disk.  If worse comes to worse, we could always have 2 DVDs.

Andy51

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »

They just use compression....

biggrin.gif

Am I smart.. or what... smile.gif

Twasi

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »

Why would Sony use DVD when they could try to make blu-ray the new standard seeing as they own the technology they stand to make alot of money. thats how businesses run.

richie579

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »

look at games on the pc like Half Life 2, Doom 3, San Andreas, Far Cry...provided you have the hardware, you can run these at higher than hidef resolutions and each one can fit on a single layer dvd....we should be alright for the next gen so far.

Andy51

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 10:04:00 AM »

Yeah

Xombe

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »

I’ll be damned if I’m swapping game discs like back in the Metal Gear Solid days again.

If you could fully install the game to the console HDD that would be better, but with the drive size being what it looks to be, there won’t be much of that I suppose.  Yeah, it works for PC gamers who’ve been bitching (with good reason) about 5 CD installs because game makers were pandering to the lowest bidders (those who won’t shell out 40 bucks for a DVD-ROM drive), but they’ve got huge hard drives.

I have a couch and a 2 meter controller cord for a reason, and it’s not so I can get up and swap discs.  That my two cents (and I still say that DVD9s are gonna be okay for the first couple game gens, like others have said).

Twasi

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 07:56:00 PM »

Audio is a big killer in games, hopefuly using all the method Thax mentioned they won't have to use multiple disks, I hated that in PC gaming when I was right next to my computer, and I'd hate it more if I had to get up and go to my box. Of course we still may get a HD-DVD and then this won't be an issue ever. I'm really lazy and I don't like getting up to turn off my box because I'm normaly in bed and play really late at night so I'm tired. A main plus to the 360 is I'll have the remote to turn off my box and wireless controller so I'll never have to get up smile.gif  but multiple disk games would be a pain.

mgamer20o0

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(Twasi @ Jun 28 2005, 04:07 AM)
Audio is a big killer in games, hopefuly using all the method Thax mentioned they won't have to use multiple disks, I hated that in PC gaming when I was right next to my computer, and I'd hate it more if I had to get up and go to my box. Of course we still may get a HD-DVD and then this won't be an issue ever. I'm really lazy and I don't like getting up to turn off my box because I'm normaly in bed and play really late at night so I'm tired. A main plus to the 360 is I'll have the remote to turn off my box and wireless controller so I'll never have to get up smile.gif  but multiple disk games would be a pain.

Juancster

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2005, 06:48:00 PM »

I think if they are going to implement HD DVD then they are going to do it right from launch. MS knows that if they do it later on, early adopters will be very annoyed at this. If they plan on doing something I beleive they will do it before launch. Ifnot, lol then they will be making 2 versions of games which I find highly doubtfull. This is next gen, time for next gen media... HD DVD....

mcbraders

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 05:28:00 AM »

yep HD-DVD i think theyll use it is a good idea tbh because i say a headline on gamespot that sed 100 gig HD-DVD disks coming out so imagine the possibilitys  tongue.gif  mind you, you would have to remortgage ur house to buy just a single disk probly

Twasi

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 05:30:00 AM »

Actually HD-DVD disks are relatively cheap, no more expensive than a BR disk, 10% more than a DVD approxametly.

mynuffinfutsitch

• Archived User
Dvd... Enough Space?
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »

tongue.gif
Pages: [1] 2