xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xbox 360 - Backwards Compatibility  (Read 463 times)

Cold|Fusion

• Archived User
Xbox 360 - Backwards Compatibility
« on: May 30, 2005, 06:50:00 PM »

MS say they do not know if there next gen console will be backwards compatible or not. I believe that they know it will not be, for good reason. I believe that, of course they could make it backwards compatible, if they wanted to. So why not?

I remember back when Channel Technology released there Messiah mod for PS2, it was the first PS2 modchip of it's kind, that acted soley on it's own, without the use of a third parties product, such as an AR disc. Sony came down hard on them, and shut them down.  But I remember reading the article about this, and most of the work that CT implemented in the chips design was ported over from PSX, as the PS2 was backwards compatible, it took them 6 months to produce the chip, but in theory, it was a years work. So, that is why I am a little dubious about MS saying they don't know if there 360 will be backwards compatible. In my opinion I think they set out to make it, so that it wasn't, for this reason. Sure, we will be pissed we can't play Xbox games on it, but we will get over that. Whereas PS3 however is still going to be backwards compatible with it's past two predecessors. To sum up, do you think this could be the real reason why MS have decided to not go down the compatibility road that Sony has taken, what are your views on this theory?

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 07:02:00 PM »

i don't care if the game are Backward Compatible (BC) or not. Unless playing Xbox games on X360 gives high resolution or Anti-aliasing features.

But technically if it was full BC then the console would sell more, as people don't yet have Xbox and buy X360, then they can play the old games, as they will be cheaper etc. THis is why Sony made sure their console did this. wink.gif

I remember a 3rd party company (forgot the company name) was going to release some software for Dreamcast (DC) to enable it to play PS1 game in DC with bilinear-filtering and higher resolution. But didn't get full license to be released and some games didn't work properly or something like that.

So if M$ cannot do it, i'm sure a 3rd party can, or maybe the code to support more games can be downloaded via LIVE.

Trisman

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 07:14:00 PM »

I don't think that the emulation layer will be implemented in hardware like the PS2, it'll be in software.  We would have to come up with a whole new chip design anyway.  I think that MS isn't saying the they're sure, simply to cover themselves in case not all the games work exactly like they did.  The original XBox is a very complex beast, and getting it to work perfectly on a completely new architecture would be a major challenge, even with the full specs and original designers around to ask questions to.

boxrocker

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 05:53:00 AM »

Bungie (owned my MS) confirmed that it will be backwards compaitble on the hardware layer, that is unless every single 360 comes with a hard drive.

richie579

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 06:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(redwolf @ May 31 2005, 03:13 AM)
I remember a 3rd party company (forgot the company name) was going to release some software for Dreamcast (DC) to enable it to play PS1 game in DC with bilinear-filtering and higher resolution. But didn't get full license to be released and some games didn't work properly or something like that.

boxrocker

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »

Bungie said today that it is a "true emulator" so it should work....

gamerguy999

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(boxrocker @ May 31 2005, 12:47 PM)
Bungie said today that it is a "true emulator" so it should work....

bitblaster

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 02:26:00 PM »

This will turn out to be some sort of a Virtual PC thing, the XBOX games are written for a x86 system... it is based on Intel system.

It will be like running a virtual PC, even if the XBOX has 512 MB RAM, and it takes what... say 128 or 256 MB RAM to give to the virtual XBOX, it will not function just like the origional. This will probably be some sort of emulation technique used.

I am a programmer, but do not know much about the xbox 360, other than I personally have doubt that it will be backwards compatible.

Think of it... there are exploits to softmod your xbox, someone might get it to work on the new xbox 360.

The XBOX 360 seems like a multimedia center. I bought a copy of Windows Media Center Edition 2005 for all of my computers, even my laptop, I know I will be watching movies, and listening to music on my xbox more than gaming.

Anyhow, I just have a feeling it will function like it does when emulating Windows on a mac.

Shawn_

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 03:10:00 PM »

quick question, in the recent videos we are shown what appears to be people playing Xbox 1 games on 360. Is this true ? Are these only alpha kits that they are playing on? that would suggest that with more processing power they should have no problems ?

q3autraven

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »

M$ has said that the 360 can run most games well. The 360 will have some games that will not want to run just like the ps2's BC. Also I think that if there is a game that will not want to run like Halo 1 then M$ will really try to get it to run because of it's popularity.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 07:23:00 AM »

What's with all these people debating if it will be BC or not?

MS has said THERE WILL BE BC. Plain and simple. One programmer working on the 360's BC has already stated that YES IT IS UP AND RUNNING. Didn't any of you follow MS's pre E3 press conference? That was the biggest announcement of the whole thing!

Μicrosoft has gone on record and stated that They're ensuring all the "top titles" will be fully BC with no problems and that they're going to work towards getting the entire Xbox catalog fully BC.

The programmer also stated that they are infact using emulation for BC.

WeeFatMan

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 08:13:00 AM »

IT BETTER BE BACKWARDS COMPATABLE OR IMMA KILL SOMEONE AT M$!!!

Shawn_

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 08:14:00 AM »

QUOTE(q3autraven @ Jun 1 2005, 12:34 AM)
M$ has said that the 360 can run most games well. The 360 will have some games that will not want to run just like the ps2's BC. Also I think that if there is a game that will not want to run like Halo 1 then M$ will really try to get it to run because of it's popularity.

WeeFatMan

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 08:14:00 AM »

:-D!

q3autraven

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 11:18:00 PM »

Hell I don't care. I have two tv's, two xbox 1's and I will buy two 360's. Double your gameing double your fun, that's what I live by.
Pages: [1] 2