xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 To Feature Fonix Voice Technology  (Read 358 times)

Xtrem

• Archived User
Xbox 360 To Feature Fonix Voice Technology
« on: May 31, 2005, 08:00:00 AM »

Fonix Speech, an operating division of Fonix Corp., an integrated communications carrier providing telecommunications services and value-added speech technologies, announced an agreement to continue to deliver Fonix voice command technology to the Xbox 360 videogame and entertainment system from MS.

"MS is pleased to continue its relationship with Fonix for Xbox 360," said Brian Schmidt, program manager, Audio and Voice Technologies, MS.

"By incorporating Fonix's speech recognition technology into our Xbox 360 development kit, game developers can give players a fun and natural way of interacting with their games."

"Working with MS enables Fonix to offer market-leading voice command solutions for next-generation products and to offer new interface possibilities for game developers and players," said Tim K. Hong, VP, Fonix Games. "Fonix looks forward to contributing to a new generation of videogames as developers use Xbox 360 to showcase greater possibilities for voice recognition in games."

Xbox games currently shipping with Fonix voice command technology include Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 Black Arrow, Tom Clancy Rainbow Six: Lockdown, and Tom Clancy Ghost Recon 2, all published by Ubisoft; Delta Force-Black Hawk Down, published by Novalogic; and SWAT: Global Strike Team, published by Vivendi Universal Games.

Link

gamerguy999

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 08:55:00 AM »

Sorry, I haven't played any of the games mentioned. What can you do in those games with voice recognition?

gamerguy999

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 09:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(thax @ May 31 2005, 09:55 AM)
Player: "Xbox, sell fitted destruction module."

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »

Voice Recognition In Action

Takes a few minutes to load.

beast96

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(thax @ May 31 2005, 06:52 PM)

gamerguy999

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 12:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(thax @ May 31 2005, 10:52 AM)

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 04:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(JimJam1989 @ Jun 1 2005, 07:12 PM)
i hope for each player profile it has individualy configurated voice setting to work with you voice perfectly.

Twasi

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »

Voice recognition is lacking even for PC so I don't see this being very good on console. It doesn't register alot of the time and you can't use it if there is alot of background noise, people with accents have a hard time using it. Right now it's just feels alot more like a cheap novelty than a useful tool

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 04:18:00 PM »

A weird british accent?

If you know anything about america, you know that there are many  many different american accents, from boston to texas and southern to new yorkern etc. And don't think that people who have accents talk 'weird', open your eyes.

I live in Canada and don't have a canadian accent (remember, the canadian accent belongs to newfies and newifes only, noone else has it). wanna call the newfie accent (or canadian accent, same thing) weird?
If we all shared your take on accents, then australians would think you are weird and americans would think that germans are weird.

Anyways, I'm sure you'd say something in the mic and then it will remember how you said it, like cellphone 'voice dial' etc.

I can't believe you said british people talk 'weird' and that ONLY american voices should be detected, please slap yourself hard twice I live too far.

reidtheweed01

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 06:07:00 PM »

it works pretty good for rainbow 6, and sometimes i would say something and didnt even think it was on the list and it did it. So its better then you think it is.

mikeandbandit

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 05:28:00 AM »

actually this is extemely acute and works very well, in addition this is highly significant as apparently it is in the box itself meaning devs wont have to do extra work to impliment voice recognition into a game, which will likely translate into a ton much voice activated games,,

*btw why does every assume the PC is the end all be all of technological advancements and power performance?

Carlo210

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 05:32:00 AM »

That's kinda like asking 'why do consoles use pc hardware'.

YESS 600th post!

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 05:37:00 AM »

I hope this means we might get voice recognition games that actually listen!

JimJam1989

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 12:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(thax @ Jun 2 2005, 12:21 AM)
Who has a weird British accent anyway? They should just make it detect people's voices that speak American and leave it at that.