xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Removable Hard Drive  (Read 959 times)

armless

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« on: May 30, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »

yeah i'm almost positive that will be a laptop drive, but actually now i think samsung or somebody made a 120GB laptop drive.

Ozy

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(armless @ May 30 2005, 06:26 PM)
yeah i'm almost positive that will be a laptop drive, but actually now i think samsung or somebody made a 120GB laptop drive.

jk009

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »

I bet it will be a mixture between a laptop and a propritary drive

cromat44

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 01:23:00 PM »

It looks like iit's a 2.5" hardrive. The width of a standard 3.5" harddrive show it couldn't possibly fit like shown in the pictures. It is definataly not a microdrive since they are incredibly expensvie per gb and aren't on the marcket in 20gb capacities yet. According to hitachi, the new microdrices are 8 and 10gb... and mircrodrives are what are used in ipod minies, they are the size of a standard compact flash card... So the housing is proporionataly too large for a microdrive...

So, logical conlusion, a 2.5" (laptop standard) hardrive or a custom drive. The custom drive would just add unncessecary cost to MS with no obvious benefit but to stop people like us. I'm pretty suure it will be a 2.5" harddrive

Ozy

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »

It will have SATA connection according to the official xbox magazine (UK) xbox 360 issue.

Seeing as it is all official info with it been owned my M$ then I would say it is accurate.

mbratton

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »

my best guess would be to say that it is a standard 2.5 hdd with a laptop ide to sata converter in the casing, then the case has a sata connector on it.... which would make 3.5 inch drives freeeeeking easy to use.

hb2k

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »

i am sure whatever drive come on the 360 some1 will find a way to hack a 400gb maxtor 3.5" HDD to work. and lots of game will fit considering it is only a 9gb max per game  dry.gif

hairypottah

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »

Sure there's no need to hack it, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to have a couple of 100gb removable drives with your games sorted by genre on each drive to swap in and out and play off of. Also call me what you will, but as a happily softmodded and HDD upgraded XBOX owner I have a very strong feeling that with all the features they're piling into the system in addition to playing games, a software exploit is not only a possibility but an inevitability. I mean, c'mon this is M$ we're talking about. All I know is those firs-gen people are going to have it the easiest, 'cuz for every update or version with an updated BIOS/Firmware etc. . .it's just gonna be a long drawn out game of cat and mouse.

I'd have to say the convenience and flexibility of storing and running all my games on a hard drive without having to insert a disc is more of a reason for modding than anything. Not to mention all the other benefits.  wink.gif

Oh and the 360 will have a remote on-off feature from the wireless controllers. . .*drool* so that means once you sit down to game it'll be like football, get your snacks, drinks and extra controller battery packs and you don't have to get up for nothing but nature. . .damn nature.

jonrees69

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 02:05:00 AM »

I'm not sure it will be a smaller laptop type for a few reasons :

1: Reliability
2: Size - If M$ Want you to save games on there it's gotta be large - 3.5" is restrictive.
3: Cost - 3.5" or 2.5" will put the price up.
4: SATA on a 3.5" ? really ? ... expensive at best.

SATA, probably, normal/modded normal size more than likely.

The DVD on the other hand will most likely be a smaller type from the photos I've seen although again, this would restrict performance.

It's mostly rumours and suposition at the moment anyway ! lol

J

incognegro

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 05:53:00 AM »

I think they are using that new technolgy they patented awhile back. The one about incorparating flash technology in hard drive to make read speeds extremely fast. Im sure MS wants to own all the tech in the system, so why not?

gamerguy999

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 08:53:00 AM »

Anyone thought about the fact that if you mod the XBOX360, it will be very likely that you will not be able to have it hooked up to your internet, as it will always be communicatiing with live, and I'm sure that they are going to have a lot of detection methods to make sure it's not modded.

So as soon as you stick in a chip(or softmod it) and connect it to your internet connection, BAM your banned from xbox live.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 09:36:00 AM »

One of the E3 articles (I forget which one, I've read so many) had shown some pictures of the back side of the removable hard drive and said that AS OF E3 MS was planning on using a standard 2.5" hard drive with a custom (smaller footprint) connector to interface with the rest of the console.

As for the space available on 2.5" form factor drives I've seen them available in 12, 20, 30, 40, 60, 73, 80, 100, and 120 GB sizes. typically costing about $1.50 - $2.00 per gig.

If and when the box is hacked and they determine the formatting and locking schemes (if they're even special) it would be very easy to hook up a 3.5" hard drive in place of a 2.5" hard drive... in which case you can get the bigger sizes and lower prices. It might be ugly looking but who cares if you can get a 250GB for $100  biggrin.gif

ZakMcRofl

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 08:03:00 AM »

If the kernel supports it you could just use an external HDD on the USB port.

And it'll obviously NOT be a 3,5'' drive since you couldn't fit it into the case we have seen smile.gif

ninjax

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »

I'll get a regular sized HDD stuffed into that SOB somewhere  beerchug.gif

lostboyz

• Archived User
Removable Hard Drive
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 10:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(hairypottah @ May 31 2005, 11:19 PM)
     Hey GamerGuy I personally don't care about XBL it's a rip. It's prlly going to be more expensive than it is now, since the pricing options are going to be laid out in Silver and Gold options. Of course there'll probably be more expensive options, after all why stop at Gold.
Pages: [1] 2