xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Reading Music/video Files From A Dvd  (Read 19 times)

HELLFACE

• Archived User
Reading Music/video Files From A Dvd
« on: May 25, 2004, 01:56:00 AM »

im unsure about whether or not the disk is just not being read (i have a thompson) or if i need to change settings somewhere. the thing is, with my thompson, i can read riteks and have before... actually none have failed before this, if this IS a failure..
my question is... if, when im in XBMC and i go to 'my music' and then to 'dvd rom' and all i get is a blank directory space with nothing but the ".." up arrow icon that goes up a directory level, does this mean that my rom is not reading it, or that i am not setup properly?  <

lutkebab

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 02:05:00 AM »

it depends on how you recorded the CD/DVD. A way that works for me is to make a iso (xISO, IsoMaker) of all the music/video file you want to play on the xbox, and then record the iso to disc.
 <

HELLFACE

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 02:35:00 AM »

so you create isos of just folders with mp3s and mpegs in them?  <

lutkebab

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 02:56:00 AM »

...yes, but beware that only the xbox will be able to read the disc, it will not be possible play them on pc and other media devices.  <

nimbles

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 04:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (lutkebab)

but beware that only the xbox will be able to read the disc, it will not be possible play them on pc and other media devices.

thats the problem i have with using xiso's with media files, they're no use without the xbox.

I find that if you burn the disc (using nero as an example) in ISO 9660 mode, making sure you have finalised the the disc, untick the box that says "enable multi session"

and burn at a reasonably slow speed (i usually do everything on 2x) it works, but i have a samsung drive, and always use ritek's

QUOTE (HELLFACE)

if, when im in XBMC and i go to 'my music' and then to 'dvd rom' and all i get is a blank directory space with nothing but the ".." up arrow icon that goes up a directory level, does this mean that my rom is not reading it, or that i am not setup properly?

that suggests to me that
1) (unlikely) that the music format you have on the dvd is not recognised by xbmc
2) (more likely) a bad burn or shoddy media

*edit* i have read a few times now that several people have had more success burning with udf mode in nero making sure to tick the "force dvd compliance- required for xbox compatibility" (or words to that effect) in the udf tab.
However note that the chracter limit is quite limited in that method so you may lose many of the names if you have music with say the artist name and songl title in the file name

This post has been edited by nimbles: May 25 2004, 11:40 AM <