xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Stock 360 Temps. Mesured The Right Way  (Read 130 times)

SlickWilly440

• Archived User
Stock 360 Temps. Mesured The Right Way
« on: March 20, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »

Nice work.  Now that you mention it core temperatures are important, I agree with you.

Do you plan on doing some cooling mods and record those core temperatures as well?

Oh and if it's not to much trouble could you show the temperatures in Fahrenheit ?

Since the core temperatures are effecting the mobo and causing failures, around what temperatures should the cores stay at to be safe from damaging the console?

uberwoot

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »

Yeah, All my pc's are water cooled and im just wateing on my 360's EK block so im gonna mesure them along with useing PC coolant, anti freeze/water ratios as well as just straght up distilled water.  Also mesure with diff. size radiators 120X1 120X2 120X3 2X120X1's and so on.

Before i warter cool i'l do all the normal cooling mods on this and post results then do water results and make a huge temp guide.

Also some time next week im going to take a mesurement on every componet and number a pic of a 360 mainbord and list the idle and load temps. Yeah it will take awhile but then all the temps will be cover and i'll know they were mesued the right way.

SlickWilly440

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »

Sounds really cool!

I'll be looking forward to seeing your results/findings, which will be very valuable to the 360 community.

ausmods

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:00:00 PM »

Nice findings there uberwoot. Its about time sombody measured core (or as-close-to-the-core-as-you-can-get) temperatures.

Just curious, but whats the setup you used to measure the temps? How accurate are the temps you measured?

I never realiased how hot the GPU got, 70 degrees aint a low temperature...

humboldt111502

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »

The heatsink temps might be different than the core temps, but if your ultimate goal is to cool the system down, then doesn't it make sense that if the heatsink temp goes down, the core temp goes down too?  Seems like it would also be easier to stick a temp sensor on the heatsinks than have to remove the whole heatsink just to see if every mod makes a difference or not.  That is cool to know exactly how hot they get under there though....thanks!

uberwoot

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(chipD @ Mar 21 2008, 03:42 AM) View Post

Heatsink temps dont mean $hit.You could take a reading from a heatsink, then take it off to do a xclamp mod, or add as5, then put it back on and get a lower reading, then you think you dropped some degrees....but what if you didnt tighten the clamps right, or applied too much as5.....guess what.....your heatsink temps will be lower, but your core will be hotter.

also if your heatsink is not seated your heatsink could be cool why your core is pretty much smelting its self.

If you wanna cool the whole system f the heatsink temps and worrie about your case temps. the air inside the case.

Edit.  70c for a gpu temps aint to bad. it should be good to about 100C give or take a few. Most of your ati gpu's hit around 60-70 stock so its not to bad but i never like my gpu's going over 60c.  Now the cpu temp is very bad. 70 is to hot for a 90nm cpu. 60c should be the max it should hit but thank MS for that one. Remember the 65nm cpuz have less tollerance for heat so 70c on a 65nm is much worse than 70c on a 90nm.

temps are accruate to 1/100th of a degree useing the equipment i got. I do alot of benchmarking and overclocking $1,100 CPU's for benchmark runs on LN2 and phase so i gotta have somthing that can take accruate readings.

nos33

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »

the calculation from Celsius to Farenheight is temp in c multiply by 1.8 then add 32 so 70c would be 158f

SlickWilly440

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »

^
Wow that is ridiculously way toooooo HOT compared to the CPU.

Thanks for posting the conversion formula.