xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My Slimbox 360  (Read 362 times)

alpha_prime

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(Bandit5317 @ Apr 9 2008, 05:25 AM) *

What are you using for the internal psu?

not really decided: I have thought of about 3 options:

-share the load over 2 120W pico psu's with 2 external power bricks

-use one pico psu for remote standby and for power, a 300w psu booster (a sort of mini psu, with 2 pci-express outputs and a few molex outputs)

-get a normal 300 watt psu and slim it down as much as i can (flattening capacitors etc)

alpha_prime

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 08:36:00 AM »

I'm trying out a new cooling system:

(IMG:http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p233/alpha_prime_reloaded/IMG_5162.jpg)

(IMG:http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p233/alpha_prime_reloaded/IMG_5161.jpg)

this plate will be connected to a heatsink via heatpipes or i'll just thermal paste a heatsink on. the block is just a piece of aluminium, 10mm thick. There's one metal washer and one plastic washer between the plate and mb, it needs just a little bit of AS5 for good contact.

Chimp5000

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »

Wow, that looks sick.  I was thinking about doing a slimbox mod to an original Xbox I had laying around.  But now I see all these slim360s coming in and im just like..."time to wait".

Like most slimboxes, mostly the 360, cooling will be the biggest issue.  Have you planned anything along the lines of fans yet?  Or is that a, "we'll find out as we go on" sort of thing.  happy.gif

malmeid2

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(alpha_prime @ Jun 1 2008, 10:36 AM) View Post

I'm trying out a new cooling system:

this plate will be connected to a heatsink via heatpipes or i'll just thermal paste a heatsink on. the block is just a piece of aluminium, 10mm thick. There's one metal washer and one plastic washer between the plate and mb, it needs just a little bit of AS5 for good contact.

You are aware that there may be two problems with this setup. The first being the fact that if the cpu and gpu chips aren't sitting perfectly level with each other, using a one piece heatsink may either result in not making full contact with both chips or unnecessarily flexing the board in between the two chips. The other problem is the fact that this heatsink doesn't have any fins. Now I am going to assume that this is just a test fit and that you are planning on slicing and dicing that thing to get the maximum potential surface area, right?  huh.gif

alpha_prime

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(malmeid2 @ Jun 1 2008, 05:28 PM) *

You are aware that there may be two problems with this setup. The first being the fact that if the cpu and gpu chips aren't sitting perfectly level with each other, using a one piece heatsink may either result in not making full contact with both chips or unnecessarily flexing the board in between the two chips. The other problem is the fact that this heatsink doesn't have any fins. Now I am going to assume that this is just a test fit and that you are planning on slicing and dicing that thing to get the maximum potential surface area, right?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

As i just wrote in my post: this block just connects to the gpu and cpu, it's like the base of a heatsink. Heatpipes will be added to this block that will go to the actual heatsink. Yes i am aware of the flexing, but there's actually pretty good contact: after i installed just a bit of as5, all chips where making great contact. And besides, i don't think a piece of 10 mm alu fixed down with 8 M5 screws will flex easily.

scuba156

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »

you cannot be sure if theres good contact or not. the CPU and GPU die are NOT at the same height.

HackerSupreme

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »

as for cooling I have suggestions. I don't know good it would look but it would be slim. Scrap that aluminum thing and get 2 GPU heatsinks w/o the heatpipe.

Maybe you will have to cut em down or something, but get 1 on each die.

Then get 2 PCI slot fans, and hook each one up to each heatsink.

I don't want to get too indepth right now on how I would do it but I am sure you can think of something.

alpha_prime

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Jun 1 2008, 05:40 PM) *

you cannot be sure if theres good contact or not. the CPU and GPU die are NOT at the same height.

I put a tiny tiny bit of AS5 on both cpu, gpu and gpu ram die. The block was cleaned, so no AS on there. After i installed the block and removed it again, i could see the print of all dies on there very clearly. Does that mean good contact or not?

scuba156

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »

for starters, you shouldnt spread you thermal compound by placing it on the die. and no, it doesnt qualify as good contact, it just shows that the thermal compound can fill the gap. if the heat sink doesnt make 100% contact to the WHOLE die, its going to create uneven pressure, which is the whole problem with the x-clamps, uneven pressure.

alpha_prime

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(scuba156 @ Jun 1 2008, 07:08 PM) *

for starters, you shouldnt spread you thermal compound by placing it on the die. and no, it doesnt qualify as good contact, it just shows that the thermal compound can fill the gap. if the heat sink doesnt make 100% contact to the WHOLE die, its going to create uneven pressure, which is the whole problem with the x-clamps, uneven pressure.

ok, thanks for the info.

GeToChKn

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »

I'd have to agree on the the 1 piece heatsink idea.  I had a customer bring in a box they bought from a major refurb company and this companies idea to fix the RROD's before they sold them back off was this 1 Piece Heat Sink Combo.  Needless to say, this box RROD'd again and I cannot get it going.  I think it caused too much damage to the GPU or CPU by not sitting on the top of the chip properly or caused too much to the board or something.  I had it boot up once, saw the xbox logo and then it went right to overheating.  Now it just RROD's for about 10secs and then overheats right away.  I put a standard heatsink on, replaced thermal paste twice, tried heat gun, different washer combos, nothing.  This one I give up on and I have fixed about 50 RROD consoles and not had one like this.  The only thing I can attribute it to is that 1 piece hetsink they had on the board.  It shouldn't overheat within 20 seconds of going on with 12v fans, fan shround mod's, silver paste, standard heatsink.  And this was a professional company that actually had these things designed and produced and are patent pending.  Good thing the patent office doesn't care about if a product actually works.  lol.

alpha_prime

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »

I will probably replace it with 2 zalman's then. If i do try something like this, would it work if i split the block in 2, connected them using heatpipes, then attached the heatsink on the cpu side?

This post has been edited by alpha_prime: Jun 1 2008, 08:38 PM

potato10

• Archived User
My Slimbox 360
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »

i hope that heatsink works because thats always the big problem.

by the way 600th post wahoo!
Pages: 1 [2]