xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Benheck's New Single Handed 'Access' Controller  (Read 887 times)

englishnamja

• Archived User
Benheck's New Single Handed 'Access' Controller
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(dkap01 @ Oct 26 2007, 06:37 AM) View Post

The majority of people do have both hands but that doesn't mean that they can use both of them.

englishnamja:
  You just have to look at the big picture, people with disibilities are looking for products like these. None of the the big game companys make anything like these. You just dont understand because you dont have one your self. My son has a disibilty and by that it has really opened my eyes to this problem, it's that we need to help with this. One of my freinds has CP and has little use of his right hand, but can use his left hand just fine. Thats why my first controller will be a left handed one. Everyone has a right to their opinion but dont dis something that might help someone else. No hard feelings smile.gif
     -Dave
http://customportables.com

thats fair enough dave,

im man enough to say sorry when im in the wrong.....

forgive my rants, but.. i think of myself as a xbox critic.. like a food critic i say what i really feel and think about something.....

thing is with big companys.. is if its marketable it will be made.. isnt that the way with any good business plan..? so i really think the market for single handed game pads are just way too small..

I like the idea of giving anybody with a disablity the hope of playing games or socialsing with other children thru gaming etc.. as a great one.. and i commend you for that.. but.. in all honesty ben hecks design looks not only flawed.. ( due to the fact the spacing of the buttons etc look way too wide apart.. prehaps ok for playing simple online games like uno, etc.. but for FPS games, car games etc.. the design is flawed.. unless your ambidextrous, or have the ablity to both sides of the brain at the same time to control motor skills on one hand this design is flawed...imagine for 1 second using a d-pad to look up, down, left, right.. and the other to strife left and right.. up and down, at the same time on one hand? chances are quite unlikely.. and then to compete with other people.. or the AI within a game? id guess and say imposable..!

Id like to help this project.. by desiging a pad myself...(sketch-wise) which i know for a FACT!! my design would enable somebody to be able to play a game... with the same speed, ablity and performance of an able person...

let me know if you want to see my design....

goodluck.

glaaki

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »

Sweet, I'm gonna buy two, one for each hand, and I'll be able to do crazy moves in Halo 3!!! Reload, jump, and melee all at once. You're all gonna be PWNED!

Seriously though, I could see where some folks could use this, and it's good to see Ben using his powers for the forces of good and not just to make a buck.

Right on Brother.

G

dkap01

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(englishnamja @ Oct 25 2007, 11:13 PM) View Post

thats fair enough dave,

im man enough to say sorry when im in the wrong.....

forgive my rants, but.. i think of myself as a xbox critic.. like a food critic i say what i really feel and think about something.....

thing is with big companys.. is if its marketable it will be made.. isnt that the way with any good business plan..? so i really think the market for single handed game pads are just way too small..

I like the idea of giving anybody with a disablity the hope of playing games or socialsing with other children thru gaming etc.. as a great one.. and i commend you for that.. but.. in all honesty ben hecks design looks not only flawed.. ( due to the fact the spacing of the buttons etc look way too wide apart.. prehaps ok for playing simple online games like uno, etc.. but for FPS games, car games etc.. the design is flawed.. unless your ambidextrous, or have the ablity to both sides of the brain at the same time to control motor skills on one hand this design is flawed...imagine for 1 second using a d-pad to look up, down, left, right.. and the other to strife left and right.. up and down, at the same time on one hand? chances are quite unlikely.. and then to compete with other people.. or the AI within a game? id guess and say imposable..!

Id like to help this project.. by desiging a pad myself...(sketch-wise) which i know for a FACT!! my design would enable somebody to be able to play a game... with the same speed, ablity and performance of an able person...

let me know if you want to see my design....

goodluck.

I agree the design is something I wouldn't do and to me, just like you, it looks hard to use. Dont get me wrong, ben does great work but its to busy. To play most of the fps your going to need to hold the controller, so I think and Im doing is putting buttons on the back. Like I said before I'll be doing a one handed controller for almost every system out there. It will hopefully be a whole line of controllers. If you really want to help and do some sketches, I'll be glad to look at them. Who knows there might be something that I haven't throught of that could help me out. Thanks for any help you could give...

-Dave

email: [email protected]

http://customcontrollers.com

dsdsds

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »

I totally agree with englishnamja.  That controller is a terrible design and could never work.  It is definitely not ergonomic.  Spreading your 5 fingers out on a relatively flat surface and having each one control a button or button group is ridiculous.  Just try it on your desk and you’ll start feeling uncomfortable in less than a minute.  If one handed people start using it, they’ll lose function of their only remaining hand (carpal tunnel syndrome & tendonitis).

africamagical

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »

carpel tunnel is a wrist affliction r tard,
I dont see how any one can knock this, if someone has a need for it; they can buy it
If the twelve year old's that are bitching dont like it, they doesnt have to buy it; not sure why one feels the need to flame the product.

seems like a great idea for those in need of such a device.

NKI Klepto

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 05:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(GSX @ Oct 25 2007, 01:05 AM) *

Looks like a nice concept, but I don't have gorilla sized hands...

exactly what i thought, how are you going to use one hand on this device?? i dont see it... can someone explain how your hand rests on it??

^^^ NOT trying to knock it at all, i just dont see how one hand can manipulate this product.

This post has been edited by NKI Klepto: Oct 26 2007, 12:59 PM

dsdsds

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »

It doesn't work.  Designing a controller involves analyzing ergonomics and testing. This is buttons and nobs on a box.  Just because the controls may be reachable with your fingers doesn't automaically make it practical.  Sorry, but he put it out there so it is open for critizism.  That shape will never work.  He will lose a lot money if he mass produces it.

NKI Klepto

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »

ya thats what im thinking, why doesnt he use his design for that one handed controller he made for that soldier? now that was sick.

fuerio

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2020, 04:13:00 PM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleep.gif) *yawn *

This post has been edited by fuerio: Yesterday, 12:20 AM

tom_mandory

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2007, 05:52:00 AM »

thank god for this!
now i can finally finish playing tomb raider...

Eddie_the_Hated

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »

I'll be honest, I can't see how it would work out exactly. Maybe a video or something would better visualise it for me, but he gets credit for the reasoning behind it alone.
Pages: 1 2 [3]