xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cheapest Possible Dvd Drive For Burnermax Payload?  (Read 849 times)

wilgo45

• Archived User
Cheapest Possible Dvd Drive For Burnermax Payload?
« on: July 04, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »

Good luck with your budget allowance.

Setting the bar at almost un-realistic

joker2323

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »

You may not see this since you posted it so long ago, but I tried a "cheap" burner for use with the payload tool and ended up spending a lot more money and a lot of bad discs.

I bought a TSSTcorp SH-222AB since it was listed as compatible with Burnermax Payload.  I got it from eBay for $16 shipped.  When it wouldn't work using the VIA card I used to connect my Xbox drive for making back ups, I spent another $15 on a card recommended by C4E.  Now I was able to burn 8.7gb and Imgburn said it was successful, but the discs wouldn't read in my Xbox and had errors when checking in ABGX360.  Since this wasn't an ihas drive, none of the liteon settings were active in Imgburn.  I was using Verbatim MKM001 media.

I finally won another eBay auction for a PLDS DH-16ABSH.  This was $12 shipped.  I cross flashed to an ihas 124b then loaded the Burner Max firmware.  I'm finally able to burn discs that ABGX360 shows are good.

Here's how I found the drive I'm using now, without paying an arm and a leg for a true ihas - I searched eBay for liteon DVD.  I searched in descriptions also.  I then chose only the auctions in the category CD, DVD & Blu-ray Drives.

Now came the hard part - going through each auction one at a time.  Anything that listed the drive make and model in the description helped weed out drives that would not work.  What I was looking for (and found) was an auction that did not list the make and model in the title or description (those get lots of bidders and go for way too much $).  There were, however, pictures of the drive including the sticker with all of the model information.  I found a true ihas, but the seller had horrible feedback.  I kept looking and finally found one I knew could be cross flashed.

Xpocalypse

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »

Cheers, I'm still looking. I don't care how much I spend a longs as it's below £30. I might just buy a Sony DVD drive which automatically burns from 8.5 to 8.7GB. It's a lot easier for me I think. Thanks anyway.

If you can think of any other drives which are cheap and work then I would be grateful.