xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Opinions About The 42" Sony Wega Rp Lcd  (Read 959 times)

davinator456

• Archived User
Opinions About The 42" Sony Wega Rp Lcd
« on: May 21, 2006, 11:19:00 AM »

anyone have this TV or have one of the larger models?  Im thinking about picking it up- wonder if anyone has anything to say about....

input appreciated.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jspsku...d=1118841724863

This post has been edited by davinator456: May 21 2006, 06:20 PM

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »

I had this tv before I upgraded to the 50" XBR. The tv had a really nice picture. The colors were pretty vibrant and it handled video games well (no lag)

Now for the things I didn't like:

It added a red push to all of its displayed images. This can be fixed but it must be done through the service menu. But this voids your warranty if go in there and mess something up

The black levels leave a lot to be desired. Its almost as if black shapes are displayed as black areas rather than a defined shape.

In the end it was an alright tv but the black levels just killed it for me. If you still want LCD rear-projection I suggest you check out the panasonic LCD rear-projection sets at CC (best buy doesn't carry the sets anymore) . They have much better black levels and the picture quality is equal to the sonys

davinator456

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 06:21:00 PM »

cool thanks for the input.

jaygould30

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 05:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(davinator456 @ May 21 2006, 04:21 PM) View Post

cool thanks for the input.

Sort of late here but since I ran across this thread while in the pursuit of my own information I figure I'd throw my 2 cents in.

ikecomp is totally right with all his claims.  His experience with a RP LCD is the feelings of the majority of people.  RP LCD by most enthusiasts is considered to be the worst displays right now.  In my opinion I would honestly consider a different display technology when buying a TV.  But it's your personally choice.

echto

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »

I have the 42" RP Wega model before that one and I have no complaints what so ever.  I think its a great t.v.

brad481

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 08:20:00 PM »

I have a 42" Sony Rear Projection LCD

(IMG:http://www.gotmaurice.com/mz3forums/defboob/sony_xbox360.jpg)

I think it's PERFECT for playing xbox360 games, everything looks fantastic.  Not to mention HDTV broadcasts in 720p.  You can't go wrong for such a good price (approx. 1700 to 1800 bucks)

Deadman1515

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 01:19:00 AM »

I have the 42" Sony as well. I noticed no red push on mine. The blacks and other colors for that matter are excellent on mine after tweaking with the standard settings. It is an excellent tv and better than most others I reviewd and viewed.

davinator456

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 04:24:00 PM »

ok- i think ill get this tv- im going to keep researching a bit- it'll be another couple of weeks before i make the purchase- but unless i change my mind this is what i think ill get.

thanks!