xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Hdmi Cabla News!  (Read 891 times)

Deezee

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Hdmi Cabla News!
« on: May 17, 2006, 08:16:00 PM »

hignaki

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »

Lik-Sang, while usually accurate, has been known to make mistakes before.  I predict a product placeholder page, just in case something actually does show up.  Of course, Peter Moore himself said that the 360 outputs analog signals, not digital signals.  HDMI (which IS DVI) is a digital signal.  Analog /= Digital, period.  I could be wrong; but then someone needs to correct me if I am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Nothing to see here, move along, thanks for playing, and all of that schnazz.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by hignaki: May 18 2006, 04:22 AM

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 09:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(hignaki @ May 18 2006, 04:21 AM) *

Lik-Sang, while usually accurate, has been known to make mistakes before.  I predict a product placeholder page, just in case something actually does show up.  Of course, Peter Moore himself said that the 360 outputs analog signals, not digital signals.  HDMI (which IS DVI) is a digital signal.  Analog /= Digital, period.  I could be wrong; but then someone needs to correct me if I am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You are correct, however it is possible for MS to embed a simple and cheap analog to digital converter right in the cable. The analog stream from the console would be output pre-encoded, so the ADC would only need to reformat the stream to be with the HDMI specification.

hignaki

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(thax @ May 18 2006, 04:12 PM) *

You are correct, however it is possible for MS to embed a simple and cheap analog to digital converter right in the cable. The analog stream from the console would be output pre-encoded, so the ADC would only need to reformat the stream to be with the HDMI specification.

That is true, and I agree with you completely on that.  But what if the content publisher (Universal Studios, etc) wanted copy protection.  For the HDMI cable to have full copy protection, a digital signal must be maintained from the reading device (DVD drive, etc) to the television.  Unless pins 12 and 13 (currently unknown) on the 360 video connector are the carriers for that signal, content might not display properly, or at all.  

Of course, this doesn't apply to content publishers who don't push for the draconian DRM scheme that's part of the "standard", but you never know.

EDIT: Okay, I'm retarded.  I was reading this and for some reason, thinking that the 360 would be playing HD-DVD content.  Maybe I should think before I type, perhaps?  Oh well, what I said still stands...somewhat.  Maybe.  A little bit.  A tiny bit?

This post has been edited by hignaki: May 19 2006, 04:22 AM

celicagt1993

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 09:39:00 PM »

agreed, the 360 has analog signals...  but using 2 pins for digital for audio and video??????  don't really see that happning...  i believe that there is an underlying possibility that may not be released.  the end of HDCP with HD-dvd?  if we use are heads, MS would not release something that in time (when hollywood decideds to empliment HDCP) would no longer do what is said it would do.  that would be marketing sucide.  now, there is a possibility that there might be a digital -> analog -> digital conversion for HDCP, but again....  HDCP requires digital all the way.  my only guess would be the end of HDCP (at least for the 360 and probably home entertainment items).  Computers on the other hand, due to the ease of copying, would need this.  

on a side note, is there a way to attach component cables to a computer and capture HD quality that way?  

on another note.....  i would hate to loose the quality from going from digital to analog back to digital.

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »

The signal, even though goes though an analog domain, would remain digital from end to end. Just like a modem is analog, the connection to the internet and all of you downloads are done digitally.

The x360 could work in the same fashion, with the analog outputs sending a stream of digital data, which is then cleaned up and reformatted to be HDMI compliant.

This is assuming that the webtv chip can't be controlled to simply output a 100% compliant digital signal to begin with. It would be possible to hijack any pins necessary to output the signal. This chip is pretty advanced as it needs to be able to output a whole range of resolutions and display formats, enabling it to do a digital dump could be entirely possible.