xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Digital (optical) Splitter?  (Read 958 times)

Vhayne

• Archived User
Digital (optical) Splitter?
« on: May 14, 2006, 05:42:00 AM »

I've seen a couple of these on the net, and wondering if they work decently.  I worry about a decrease in the quality of audio.  Definately going to need one when the PS3 comes out.  Anyone ever use one?

Here's a link to one with a pic....
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&Sku=C184-27027

hignaki

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »

Don't bother, especially with something that's only $7.99.  Generally, with other adapters (RCA, VGA, etc) I say "go with the lowest price possible," but optical is, y'know, light.  Cheaper /= Better.

Vhayne

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 04:44:00 AM »

Well, I know it's cheap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)  But I've been trying to find one that's more expensive, hoping to insure better quality, but not having any luck.  So if I don't get this one, then what should I get?  I want to have 5.1 through both the 360 and DVD/PS3, but my receiver only have one optical port.

Or am I SOL, and just gonna have to buy a new receiver?

This post has been edited by Vhayne: May 15 2006, 11:44 AM

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 07:26:00 AM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is a one way splitter.  It will split a signal so you can send it to two sources, but it will not converge two signals into one cable and therefore will not work.  You need an optical switcher for what you're trying to do.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(lowendfrequency @ May 15 2006, 09:26 AM) View Post

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is a one way splitter.  It will split a signal so you can send it to two sources, but it will not converge two signals into one cable and therefore will not work.  You need an optical switcher for what you're trying to do.

yes you are absolutly correct, that splitter is a SPLITTER... it cannot be used as a "joiner" You should buy an optical switch.

Vhayne

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 01:45:00 PM »

Ahh!  lol Ok, I'm a n00b.  hehe

I suppose this would work then.....

http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/FT259.htm

C o s m o

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 02:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Vhayne @ May 14 2006, 06:42 AM) *

I've seen a couple of these on the net, and wondering if they work decently.  I worry about a decrease in the quality of audio.  Definately going to need one when the PS3 comes out.  Anyone ever use one?

Here's a link to one with a pic....
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&Sku=C184-27027

I have one of these.  They are designed to split.  But they do combine, too.  My Xbox and 360 run into it, and it works fine.  Just make sure you have only one  on at a time.

This post has been edited by C o s m o: May 15 2006, 09:46 PM

TardBarnescapee

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »

The optical switch/selector you have the second link to will work fine, it gives you four options and I believe radio shack sells them for 10 bucks or that is at least what I paid for mine...

biosehnsucht

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 03:23:00 AM »

I got one too!

my Laserdisc player and xbox (original) go into the same input on my receiver (DVD/LD) cause using DVD lets me feed RCA DVD codes to the xbox and XBMC, and of course, why put the LD on anything but LD? SVideo from LD and component from xbox, going to a DVDO scaler and VDigi respectively, then to an analog VGA switchbox. The optical out of the two feed to the combiner which goes to the receiver.

Now, I had to juggle cables to get this to work. My LD's output is much weaker and had trouble working even when only it was turned on, going through the splitter/combiner. If I power up the xbox it blasts away the LD even if its on and I don't get a mix or static or blank, I get only xbox. Weird smile.gif

The xbox worked on any and all combinations of cables, its just the old LD is weaksauce.

solocreep

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »

i got from ebay and work fine. i had plugged my xbox, hdtv and, my 360.