xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My Vga Saga  (Read 1553 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
My Vga Saga
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 11:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(Hellbeans @ May 17 2006, 10:41 AM) View Post

So how do you suggest finding the best matching res man?

720p through component video will always be the best resolution. Fullscreen 480i/p is probably the next most RELIABLE resolution, past that you really just have to try things out and see what works/what doesn't.

oswald

• Archived User
My Vga Saga
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »

720p through component video will always be the best resolution. Fullscreen 480i/p is probably the next most RELIABLE resolution, past that you really just have to try things out and see what works/what doesn't.

Yep, and from my testing this theory holds on the VGA cable as well.  For Tomb Raider and other games that exhibit this phenomenon, the best setting I could find was 1280x720 (widescreen), in other words, 720p.

fullscreen is for chumps anyway.

Hellbeans

• Archived User
My Vga Saga
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »

So I have to get a widescreen monitor? or is there a way to workaround the fact that it widescreens your arse?
Note im talking about 1024x768 - could it detract from performance? would game suffer from this?

When I set it to 1280x720 it looks weird, its only a 19" crt...

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
My Vga Saga
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »

See this is where a DVI or HDMI connection would have come in handy because the signal is a fixed pixel width... sending a raw 1280x720 image to even a fullscreen monitor would still display in the proper format (with black bars of course).

Instead VGA sends the signal and the monitor tries to stretch it to fit since there's really no defined geometry to it.

Hellbeans

• Archived User
My Vga Saga
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 10:25:00 PM »

That's interesting.

Do you have any general suggestions or is it "Go get an HDTV your'e screwed" (screwed part being that I have no money, whatsoever, nope, I don't.)

*Goes back to drug dealing.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
My Vga Saga
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 06:19:00 AM »

While I've never used the official VGA cable the reports of the over brightened image and general compatability problems leads me to believe that for Xbox360 use you'd be better off using the component cables with an external VGA transcoder

While theoretically the signal wouldn't be as good as straight VGA, IMO it's a superior solution when using a 360.

oswald

• Archived User
My Vga Saga
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »

I've got my 360 hooked up to my LCD TV now, but when it was attached to my CRT monitor via vga, I simply resized the screen (through the monitor controls) to display the video in widescreen.  It took awhile to get the aspect ratio right, but as long as your monitor has decent vertical size controls, you should be able to play in real widescreen without dropping extra coin for a HDTV.

Hellbeans

• Archived User
My Vga Saga
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(oswald @ May 19 2006, 04:02 PM) View Post
I've got my 360 hooked up to my LCD TV now, but when it was attached to my CRT monitor via vga, I simply resized the screen (through the monitor controls) to display the video in widescreen.  It took awhile to get the aspect ratio right, but as long as your monitor has decent vertical size controls, you should be able to play in real widescreen without dropping extra coin for a HDTV.

I tried that, but everything looks stretched and weird, or maybe its trying to get used to it? (I mean my eyes, not the monitor.)
Pages: 1 [2]