xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Bad, Bad Vga Cable  (Read 5146 times)

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Jan 2 2006, 02:43 AM) View Post

It could be fixed yes, many recent VGA/DVI/HDMI DVD players have the option for video/pc levels in the menus, so they've recognized the situation and fixed it. But do you think that they give a rats ass if we address this issue to MS? They'll say that your TV manufacturer is to blame for not supporting video levels in VGA. Complain to your TV manufacturer and they'll say MS is to blame for using video levels, that aren't widely supported.

Or how about the thousands who play their 360 on a pc monitor via vga.  PC monitors only accept pc levels.  You'd think that the pc/video levels would be addressed in the dash menu, considering MS advertises the 360 being compatible with a PC monitor.  I say this, because it seems that the xbox is sending video levels to my pc monitor.  How else would you explain the inferior contrast and black levels i'm getting from the 360 on my pc monitor compared to pc games on the same pc monitor?

But then again, they cannot even get halo 2 (their most prized possession) to run correctly on a pc monitor in any higher res then 640 x 480 (the other 6 supported resolutions only support widescreen halo 2, so two player split screen is always split vertically), so i highly doubt they will fix the video/pc levels issue.

WTF, MS......way to listen to your consumers. wink.gif

Carlo210

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »

Is the example on the first page (the outfit example) a good example of how the vga cable looks compared to component??

Mick Garvey

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »

Im so raged right now that this is even a problem still! Seriously they need to get off there lazy butts and make a freakn patch already, its unacceptable its taken this long.

I guess Ill go down and try and change the res. like that one guy says, then Ill try all of my other computer monitors i guess.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Carlo210 @ Jan 2 2006, 06:16 PM) View Post

Is the example on the first page (the outfit example) a good example of how the vga cable looks compared to component??

No, not even close to that bad for a pc crt monitor.  Having washed out colors is not even an issue, unless one turns up the brightness way too much.  The picture actually looks very good, but as i mentioned, it needs more contrast and better black levels.

jizmo

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2006, 12:59:00 AM »

QUOTE(Foe-hammer @ Jan 2 2006, 08:44 PM) View Post

so i highly doubt they will fix the video/pc levels issue.

It's basically about MS wanting to have minimum amount of options in dashboard. More options means more simple folks having more problems and calling more to MS' hotlines. It's like that situation with component's TV <-> HDTV switch, which is clearly visible and well documented, but most mouth breathers out there couldn't figure it out and phoned an angry call to MS.

PC/Video switch in settings would help us, but it'd confuse those who cannot chew gum and walk at the same time, so my bet is that MS won't put it in even if we ask.

And Carlo, again, you should read these pages before commenting.

Here's the overburned / washed out image for you again

jizmo

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2006, 04:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(okandroid @ Jan 3 2006, 11:25 AM) View Post

Well after reading this thread Im a little bit worried and confused. I plan to buy a Dell 2005fpw and a VGA cable, but now Im hesitant. Are certain VGA cables better than others, or is this a problem with the system. thanks in advance.

No, all of them perform alike.

If you're uncertain about X device working well with cable Y in device Z, just take X and Y and go to the store and ask if you can try it out with device Z. And this goes for almost everything you plan to buy in your life. Trying it out yourself is always the best bet.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2006, 05:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Jan 3 2006, 01:06 AM) View Post

It's basically about MS wanting to have minimum amount of options in dashboard. More options means more simple folks having more problems and calling more to MS' hotlines. It's like that situation with component's TV <-> HDTV switch, which is clearly visible and well documented, but most mouth breathers out there couldn't figure it out and phoned an angry call to MS.

PC/Video switch in settings would help us, but it'd confuse those who cannot chew gum and walk at the same time, so my bet is that MS won't put it in even if we ask.

I too believe that you are 100% correct with your assumption.  And that is what pisses me off the most about consoles (MS more then the other two), they are setup as simple as possible in order to not confuse the average console gaming moron.  I love pc gaming just for the reason of having all the options i can mess with, and customize it to my liking.

redwolf

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2006, 07:02:00 AM »

they sould at least have a "Advance" setup button. and a warning to say for advace use only or some sort  sleep.gif

Carlo210

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2006, 12:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Jan 3 2006, 09:06 AM) View Post

And Carlo, again, you should read these pages before commenting.

Excuse me? I've read the whole thread. You see, even on my 'dark' bedroom monitor (high black threshhold), the FIFA screens don't look good no matter what because there is no attainable data. It is a screen that shows the effects of the burn in, but, even if I calibrate my monitor to be darker or whatnot, I cannot recieve the 'fixed' picture because the only data that the screen shows is 'whiteness', not grey Covered by 'whiteness'.
Do you udnerstand what I'm getting at?
The first pic, the outfit example, looks fine on my bedroom monitor because nothing is burnt out, it's jsut a darker and duller picture. The FIFA screen is an image with whites.

For example, if I view a hockey arena on my tv, pump up the brightness so the blue and red lines on the rink are burnt to WHITE, and take a picture with my camera - all you will see on your computer is a white rink. If you turn down your brightness, you aren't gonna be able to see the blue and red lines on the ice because the data doesn't exist on the image.

I'm sure you know this, I'm just trying to get my point across. The first screen looks fine to me ebcause there is no image damage, just more of a slight change in overall contrast and color depth. The FIFA pics have a white burn effect that anyone would see with any monitor.

What I'm trying to say is that you can't tell me that those screens are carbon copy examples of what anyone else would get on their monitors. The only way to see if you can FIX the problem for different monitors is to hook up a 360 to it. With the 360, you can attain those 'blue and red lines on the ice' because the data still exists. With a photo of a white rink, the data DOESN'T exist.

smile.gif Not a flame post.

Shakey_Jake33

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »

Lets face it, only the slighly more 'advanced' user like us are going to be using the VGA cable anyway, so it can't be that hard to add a little PC/Video selector in the Video Settings on the dash.  I wonder if MS are even aware of the issue though?

Surely a patch to correct colourlevels and the amount of overscan (that's the difference between PC level and Video level - Video level actually has slight overscan allowance, remember) is all software-based, so it shouldn't be too hard?

It's a pain.  I still prefer the VGA cable on my LCD TV because of the superior quality a pure RGBHV picture gives over a YPbPr one, it's just annoying the solution is still less than perfect.  Fixing the VGA would somewhat ease the pain of a lack of DVI/HDMI.

Carlo210

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2006, 06:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(Shakey_Jake33 @ Jan 3 2006, 09:01 PM) View Post

Lets face it, only the slighly more 'advanced' user like us are going to be using the VGA cable anyway, so it can't be that hard to add a little PC/Video selector in the Video Settings on the dash.  I wonder if MS are even aware of the issue though?

Surely a patch to correct colourlevels and the amount of overscan (that's the difference between PC level and Video level - Video level actually has slight overscan allowance, remember) is all software-based, so it shouldn't be too hard?

It's a pain.  I still prefer the VGA cable on my LCD TV because of the superior quality a pure RGBHV picture gives over a YPbPr one, it's just annoying the solution is still less than perfect.  Fixing the VGA would somewhat ease the pain of a lack of DVI/HDMI.

Hopefully, the issues aren't very bothering tome. I don't mind if they are noticeable, but if I can make them less noticeable, then I may be fine. Hey, my monitor is my only means of hd. Plus, I'm not one of those 'dark, natural black level' guys. I like my display bright/not dark and I like dark areas to be viewable in games.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2006, 12:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(Carlo210 @ Jan 3 2006, 07:04 PM) View Post

I'm not one of those 'dark, natural black level' guys. I like my display bright/not dark and I like dark areas to be viewable in games.

lol.

If you are referring to me, you have me all wrong.  I have to have my picture bright and vivid.  But the blacks have to be true blacks, without making the overall picture too dark.  By adjusting the black levels to true black it eliminates washed out colors due to too much brightness.  

What i mean is, in a game, for example halo, when i look up at the night sky, the damn sky better be black, not gray.  And in order to make the night sky appear pitch black by turning down the brightness setting, it better not make the bright, colorful part of the game too dark.  I for one want dark areas of a game to be dark, not some artificial gray color, due to retard brightness calibration (i'm not inferring that you do this, lol).  Make sence?

Shakey_Jake33

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2006, 12:59:00 AM »

Bottom line is compatibility really.  Giving an option to choose between PC and Video levels simply means people can choose whichever suits their screen, that's the bottom line really.  That's the main reason it should be implemented.  But I reckon MS might not know about it, since no-ones really made a fuss about it except here and at AV forums.

redwolf

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »

anyone posted this issue in the xbox.com forum?

Thraxen

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »

I've got the same issue.  I have an HDTV with a VGA input that I'm using for my 360 and the colors are washed out  mad.gif  I've tried playing with my TV's controls to fix the problem, but of course got no where since the problem is with the signal being sent out by the 360.  If I turn down the birhgtness in an attempt to make the colors appear less washed out the overall image is too f'ing dark.  Between this and the noise my 360 is starting to really annoy me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9