xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Bad, Bad Vga Cable  (Read 4999 times)

cyberg4

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2005, 09:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(Snookieboy @ Dec 21 2005, 06:24 PM) View Post
When I used component with my 360, when playing Perfect Dark Zero I found "dark areas" far too dark. For example on the nightclub level I just found parts of the level almost pitch black.

In the PDZ video options you can adjust the brightness of the game in the video options (from the main menu) hope this helps.

jizmo

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2005, 09:59:00 AM »

Mine's original MS cable, which was €10 more expensive .. I bought it so that I'd get surely the maximum quality.

So if Joytech has issues as well, it really isn't the problem with the cable, there's something wrong in x360's settings when using a VGA.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2005, 02:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(Snookieboy @ Dec 21 2005, 06:24 PM) View Post

...but I do find it annoying when you cant play some original xbox games (For example Halo 2, you have to update it to play on Live, and the Updater wont work on a VGA Cable).

Um, no.  Halo 2 works perfect for me in all resolutions via the vga cable.  And i just played halo 2 on live today.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2005, 01:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(Snookieboy @ Dec 22 2005, 08:53 PM) View Post

Did you run the Original update when you first placed Halo 2 in your Xbox 360, where Halo 2 needs to update itself and you see the Original Xbox 1 Dashboard when this happens?

Yes.  And the original xbox dash updater (green grid) was visible on my pc monitor via vga.

MadFerIt2005

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »

Halo 2 was also viewable in it's updates for me as well.  It doesn't actually go into a true xbox dashboard, it's just a static image with a download bar.

I'm using the 26" version of the official 360 HDTV (Samsung LTR-268W TFT LCD).  Instead of component I use the VGA and set it to 1368x768 (forget the exact numbers, but it's the last resolution option you get) since that matches the native resolution of my tv.

biosehnsucht

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2005, 05:41:00 PM »

How about this: are all the people having problems on PAL region systems or ? since someone reaised the q in regards to Halo 2.. I also used VGA on Halo 2 first time and updated just fine, but I'm in a NTSC (US) region.

In fact the first time I even used the stock composite/component cable was when I took it to work to show it off tongue.gif up to then I used the VGA!

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2005, 12:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(Snookieboy @ Dec 23 2005, 05:24 AM) View Post

Sweet  ohmy.gif
May I ask what settings you use for the display output? and is your game PAL or NTSC?
Thanks  smile.gif

Res was 1280 x 1024 (i doubt this would matter)

Game and system was NTSC (most likely the issue)

Chris_F

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2005, 02:57:00 PM »

The problem with the picture being washed out has nothing to do with your VGA cable, but rather the way the xbox generates the VGA signal. The problem is completely internal. There is nothing that can be done except for maybe some kind of software update, but even with a firmware update the problem might be incurable.

maz57

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »

I also had the problem with my VGA output being too washed out. But it only happens to me on some of the resolution options available in the dash settings.

At first I used 1280x720 and it looked washed out, but when I switched to the highest setting 1368x768 (or something like that) I get a perfect image, nothing washed out at all.

I'm using a Dell 2005fpw, 20" widescreen (1680x1050 native, 16:10 aspect ratio)

So you can try different resolutions to see if that helps at all, if you havent already.

RelicSoul

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »

I have a 37" LCD HDTV. Hooked up VGA cable....looks 50x worse!! At first everything had a red tint to it. Then I restarted everything, and it had some color, but very washed out. I put in Kameo, and I knew right away. These puppies are going back asap. I messed with the settings etc. Screw it man. The component cables look so damn good, I don't care. I want my money back. I really don't think it can get any better than what I have with the component cables. And as far as the pictures are concerned, I've taken pictures of
my LCD with Kameo (I keep using Kameo as an example because of the colors, graphics etc.) and it looks better than those pics that other guy posted. I don't see why people are saying he photoshoped those.
[]Deace

assmonkey

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2005, 10:35:00 AM »

So should i get the vga cables or just wait to get a 32'lcd

Shakey_Jake33

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ezrem @ Dec 20 2005, 05:14 PM) View Post

On at least one forum I've also seen mention of some setting in various TV's to change the mode of the VGA port.  Some people claim to have PC and "DTV" modes, and switching between the two produces different results with the 360 VGA cable:

http://ntsc-uk.domin...ghlight=samsung

Indeed, I'm one of the people who posted in that topic and has a 'DTV' setting.

Basically, I have an LG 26LX2R LCD HDTV, which accepts VGA through the DVI-I port.  Both the DVI/VGA and HDMI port have separate 'PC' and 'DTV' modes.  I'm not 100% sure what the actual difference is, I'm told they use a different colourspace and different amounts of overscan, but setting the port to 'PC' on anything but a PC results in a washed image, whereas DTV results in a correct image.

It's strange.  My TV has a native resolution of 1366x768, so I planned to use the 1360x768 option and avoid upscaling.  However, my TV detected this resolution as a PC resolution (even in DTV mode) and the results were a washed image.  This also happened in 1280x768 and all other resolutions.

However.  Setting my TV to DTV mode and sticking to 720p resulted in a correct image with no washed output whatsoever.  VGA does seem a little lighter at first, but I reckon the Component output may be too dark.  You can literally SEE more when using the VGA cable.

Anyway, anyone who has an LCD TV which lets them choose between PC and DTV mode (or it might be called 'AV' mode), either from the menu or via the service menu, should give it a go, and stick to 720p.
I reckon the washed output is caused by the TV taking the 360 output as a Pc output and using PC colourspace.

RocketMBA

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2006, 10:33:00 AM »

Oh well. Bad luck. It's times like this I'm glad I have a projector.

...But wait - what if my projector suffers the same flaw?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2006, 05:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(jizmo @ Jan 1 2006, 10:23 AM) View Post

Yup, after studying the subject more it really seems to boil down to this. Most LCD TVs take in VGA and assume PC levels, but x360's VGA sends video levels. If there's no switch in your LCD for changing the type of the input, the image will be washed out.

It's not entirely MS' fault, but given that so few TV sets are designed to take in video-level VGA, I can't fully accept the decision. On most LCD TV's the fix could be done with firmware upgrade adding the switch or having the repair man come in and adjust the TV set manually from service menus.

So, If you're shopping for LCD TV to use with your x360, you should add the support of video-level VGA to the already lenghty requirement list. I wish I knew then when I was shopping for my LCD. dry.gif

If what you are typing is true, then all those who play their 360 on a pc monitor via vga is screwed.  Considering one of the main features of the 360 is to hook up to a pc monitor, i doubt MS overlooked the issue.  But who knows.  If it is true then it would explain the contrast and true black problems, and it would mean that it could be fixed by MS via a patch.  That's is if they give a shit, and are listening to their customers. dry.gif

DaGamePimp

• Archived User
Bad, Bad Vga Cable
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2006, 05:41:00 PM »

It's a 'Levels' problem , PC levels are 0-255 while Video Levels are 16-235 . Some displays account for it while others do not which is why some displays have excellent results with the VGA cable and others cannot get any sort of acceptable image .

---DGP---
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9