xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Copying Mp3 From Pc To Xbox  (Read 749 times)

djlm

• Archived User
Copying Mp3 From Pc To Xbox
« on: September 26, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm new to the xbox 360, purchased it just because I play NHL games and since no new PC release since NHL 09 I finally gave in.

I'm no newbie in technical terms and things so I search my way before posting, but I am currently stuck.

So here is the deal: I have NHL 14 and to import custom music to be used in-game I need to create a Playlist on the xbox menu and then within the game it'll load that playlist.

Now I have a 4gb arcade... here is where it gets tricky as I cannot simply copy MP3's with a pendrive, I saw that I needed to burn a CD and once it's in the xbox, select the rip cd option... perfect... would do that BUT...

The "RIP CD" button is grayed out, it's not available... so I searched and the only thing I saw was because it's the 4gb arcade model with a memory unit and no hdd so you couldn't rip the CD.

Now I ask you dear friends. Is my dream over? Is there any way I can copy music to my xbox's memory unit or a dedicated 16gb pendrive I had on it using a CD or another pendrive?

I have managed to connect my notebook and the xbox and stream the music from my notebook using media ceter, but streaming isn't the same as copying the file, it seems with the game NHL 14 I need to copy the music to a media on an xbox storage, either MU or pendrive.

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help.

My Best Regards,

Leandro

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »

You might be able to use a regularly formatted USB drive to play the must from. No guarantee about that, though.

You could also format a USB stick to 360 storage and see if you can rip to that.

djlm

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Sep 26 2013, 02:35 PM) *

You might be able to use a regularly formatted USB drive to play the must from. No guarantee about that, though.

You could also format a USB stick to 360 storage and see if you can rip to that.

Hi,

Thanks, but I've tried that and it did not work.

Best

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »

Did you try both? If you did, you're out of luck without buying a hard drive. No way around it.

djlm

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Sep 26 2013, 05:25 PM) *

Did you try both? If you did, you're out of luck without buying a hard drive. No way around it.

Yep. On a non xbox formated pendrive with the mp3 files placed in the xbox, it's not recognized by xbox as a "usable" drive, it needs to be formated.

Once I format on xbox and place an xbox formated pendrive on a windows pc, the pendrive is "full", without any space, as xbox creates some sort of temp file bubble on the drive not allowing me to use is in windows unless I reformat in windows and the whole process beings again :-)

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »

I just threw a USB stick into my 360 and it recognizes MP3 files just fine. Guide button -> System Music Player -> Portable Device. Works every time, though it is a FAT-formatted drive, not NTFS.  (It's my FreeDOS boot stick, if you're wondering why it's formatted FAT.) If memory serves, 360s still don't support NTFS drives. It'll need to be FAT or FAT32.

I was referring to ripping a disc to a Xbox-formatted USB stick on the 360 itself, not from Windows. Doing it from Windows is incredibly complicated and not possible without significant hacking about. Try it on the 360 if you haven't already.

djlm

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 04:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Sep 26 2013, 06:19 PM) *

I just threw a USB stick into my 360 and it recognizes MP3 files just fine. Guide button -> System Music Player -> Portable Device. Works every time, though it is a FAT-formatted drive, not NTFS.  (It's my FreeDOS boot stick, if you're wondering why it's formatted FAT.) If memory serves, 360s still don't support NTFS drives. It'll need to be FAT or FAT32.

I was referring to ripping a disc to a Xbox-formatted USB stick on the 360 itself, not from Windows. Doing it from Windows is incredibly complicated and not possible without significant hacking about. Try it on the 360 if you haven't already.

Hi.

Thanks for the tip, this did make it show on the xbox, the mp3 on the usb I mean... but in the end I could not create a playlist as when I open Xbox Music I cannot select the music in the usb, only when I go to that system music player you mentioned. I did managed to get my custom music in game streaming from my notebook so that's a plus, but ideally I would not need to have my notebook turned on when I want to play on the xbox.

Thanks again for your tips, helping me learn this new system.

Best Regards

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »

I just did some tests and it appears that while the 360 supports playing music from an external memory source, it does not support playlists saved to an external memory source.

If you were to get a hard drive and rip music from discs, you would do all of your music and playlist management through the system player, rather than Xbox Music. Xbox Music is a subscription service (currently paid on consoles, but free on web). If you don't subscribe, you won't be able to access its features.

Unfortunately, the system music player on the 360 has always been an afterthought. Since the popularity of streaming services has risen, Microsoft has pretty much ignored the player completely. I don't think it's had any upgrades in several years.

djlm

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 06:35:00 AM »

Hi,

Many thanks for your input here. I really appreciate the time you took. Some places I read that I could only install an HD to an xbox that is unlocked, but I want to keep mine locked and also don't want to risk getting banned from live or the console. Can I safely install an HD without this fear?

Best Regards

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 09:17:00 PM »

I don't understand what you mean by an Xbox that is "unlocked". You can put a hard drive in any Xbox. The only caveat is that it is (or appears to the 360 to be) an official Microsoft hard drive. You can find hard drives for 360s (both slim and fat) at regular retailers and most online shops. If the 360 recognizes it as a drive, you should have no problems with any form of ban.

djlm

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 07:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Sep 28 2013, 01:17 AM) View Post

I don't understand what you mean by an Xbox that is "unlocked". You can put a hard drive in any Xbox. The only caveat is that it is (or appears to the 360 to be) an official Microsoft hard drive. You can find hard drives for 360s (both slim and fat) at regular retailers and most online shops. If the 360 recognizes it as a drive, you should have no problems with any form of ban.

That's great thanks.