xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Game Dialogue Too Quiet  (Read 225 times)

doveman007

• Archived User
Game Dialogue Too Quiet
« on: October 23, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »

I'm running component for video and analog audio, so there's no complicated AV system involved here but I keep finding on various games that the dialogue audio is way too quiet (i.e. you can't understand it) whilst the sound effects are way too loud. It's almost like it's trying to send most of the dialogue to a phantom centre speaker, with only some of it overspilling to the L&R channels and that's what I'm hearing.

In some cases there's obviously poor game design that isn't helping, for example on MoH - Warfighter, setting the Music and Sound FX levels to one notch above minimum whilst leaving Master and Dialogue on Max, on the first few missions the dialogue is obviously controlled by the Sound FX levels as it's made practically inaudible on those settings. On the car chase mission though, the car engine noises are almost inaudible and the dialogue loud enough with those settings but then there will be a Sound FX (such as the noise when the car you're chasing gets away and you fail the mission) that's deafening, so is obviously not controlled by the Sound FX level.

Another example is Worms Revolution, where some of the dialogue seems to be controlled by the Dialogue level setting whilst other dialogue isn't and is very quiet if I turn the Sound FX level down.

Whilst I can't imagine it makes any difference when using analog audio, I tried changing the NXE setting from Dolby Digital 5.1 to Digital Stereo  just in case, but it didn't help.