xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A/v Connection Issues.  (Read 234 times)

Aldanga

• Archived User
A/v Connection Issues.
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »

Are you using the composite (red, white, yellow) cable or component (red, green, blue) cable? If you're using the latter, make sure that the switch is set to SDTV and not HDTV. You can also try this.

canyonnehastings

• Archived User
A/v Connection Issues.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »

If you've tried resetting display settings by holding right trigger and Y at startup, try connecting to a different TV with the HDMI and setting the display to composite. There are also tutorials for doing this blindly. Also check for bent pins inside the AV port.

If nothing works, you probably have a cold solder joint under either the GPU or the HANA chip. I've seen many consoles with identical symptoms to yours that I fixed with a reflow to one or both of these chips.

I'd say you should look into selling that one before thinking about repairing it though. There are many more people out there looking for HDMI consoles than non-hdmi consoles and you could probably make enough off of it to get another one, or at least only come short a few dollars.

Heck, I'll trade you a non-hdmi console for it if you're interested - you can PM me for more details on it if you want.

The only reason I would say to stay away from a repair is because sometimes things go wrong and you wouldn't want to attempt a repair and be left with a console that doesn't work at all!

Good luck

canyonnehastings

• Archived User
A/v Connection Issues.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(Jigsaw2793 @ Jun 20 2012, 09:21 PM) View Post

If there was a cold solder joint under either of those, the hdmi port not work either would it? It is a high possibility that that happened though. Because I did reflow it a few days ago, then eventually plugged it in with the av cable and no dice. I'll try your suggestion, however. Appreciate the response.

Oh and to Aldanga, I am using the red/yellow/white connection with the tv switch enabled.

Depending on the joint that is fractured, the AV port could work and the HDMI not, or vice versa. I've had all sorts of variations - all fixed by a reflow, or if not, a reball.

Yeah another reflow could be fatal, depending on your process. I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Just sell it on ebay or craigslist and make sure to say that only HDMI works. I guarantee you'll find a buyer within a couple days.

Jigsaw2793

• Archived User
A/v Connection Issues.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(canyonnehastings @ Jun 21 2012, 12:07 PM) View Post

Depending on the joint that is fractured, the AV port could work and the HDMI not, or vice versa. I've had all sorts of variations - all fixed by a reflow, or if not, a reball.

Yeah another reflow could be fatal, depending on your process. I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Just sell it on ebay or craigslist and make sure to say that only HDMI works. I guarantee you'll find a buyer within a couple days.

Hey man, so i actually reflowed the hana chip last night. Used some no clean flux, and voila. Works fine now. Appreciate the advice greatly.