xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vga + 17" Monitor = Blurry  (Read 154 times)

Aldanga

• Archived User
Vga + 17" Monitor = Blurry
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »

VGA is a pretty blurry source format in my experience. It's an analog signal, so it's not as sharp as DVI or HDMI.

I know the Halo engines run at a lower res than 720p; I think it's somewhere around 660p. As for the other games, I couldn't tell you. It's likely just the VGA source that makes it look blurry. After using HDMI for so long, I can't go back to VGA without feeling like I'm looking through a fish tank while I'm playing.

iiB0XER

• Archived User
Vga + 17" Monitor = Blurry
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(grobewurst @ Aug 7 2011, 04:20 PM) View Post

Hey everyone, I have an older 360 and using a vga cable to connect to my 17" monitor makes it feel like the game is running at really low resolution.

I have tried halo 3, halo reach, fable 2, halo odst and bayonetta they all feel like they are low resolution.

On the other hand when I play gears of war 2 it feels like it is normal high resolution. any ideas?

Well obviously HDMI is far better than VGA but that guy doesn't get it, you have no other option since your xbox (one of mine too) doesn't have an HDMI port.... so we have the option of A/V, RGB, and VGA.  That post is an opinion and offers zero help on this topic.

Your best resolution is vary depending on the size of your monitor and orientation (i.e. Widescreen, 3:4, etc.).  For my widescreen lcd it can support 1900x1440 but that is higher than VGA can support and although it looks OK its not optimal by any means.  I found that the BEST resolution is 1280x720 and Reference Level of Expanded.  Again though I have a very high contrast rate on my monitor so Expanded might not be best.  Try the 1280x720 and make sure you have Widescreen selected or Regular if you have that.  It wont be as good as HDMI but will look sharp and is the best alternative for you.  Its still good resolution and definitely should not be blurry.  See how the 1280x720 works out.