xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cheap Alternative To Ms Hdmi Optical Adapter  (Read 53 times)

zinkoxyde

• Archived User
Cheap Alternative To Ms Hdmi Optical Adapter
« on: March 27, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »

My TV won't pass through Dolby Digital (as with most televisions).  So if I want to use HDMI, I can't use my 5.1 system unless I buy Microsoft's special HDMI kit.  

Well, I noticed that the MadCatz 3-in-1 component cable plug is a lot slimmer than the OEM component cable plug.  As such, I discovered that it fits in the A/V port while the HDMI cable is plugged in.  

http://www.gamestop....roduct_id=33927

Inside the 360 plug on the MadCatz cable is a nice little circuit board, I just unsoldered the audio/video leads on the cable. The optical jack is self contained inside the plastic. Plus the absence of the cable leaves a nice RCA sized hole if you want to use coax instead.

Added bonus: No stupid dongle hanging off the back of the xbox, like the official xbox one has.

Works great.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

gimpydingo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »

So you don't have an hdmi input on your receiver or it does not support audio over HDMI? I have an old 360 with component only - I have it plugged into the receiver with it outputting through HDMI to the TV, using optical sound.

Also instead of going through all that why not just use component/optical?

Also I'm not bashing you, just wondering what the advantage is.

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »

He's sending HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver. Most TVs can't output 5.1 from any source other than their own tuner, thus the need for using both connections.