xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: White Dots / Display Artifacts, Heat Related?  (Read 61 times)

Alfarjamie0

• Archived User
White Dots / Display Artifacts, Heat Related?
« on: February 02, 2020, 09:23:00 PM »

Ok so my 360 elite i recently bought from http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/carlozthejakal/

who also lied about the manufacture/sale date. Is selling many 360s on ebay all with the same description minus the drive and wattage/chip.

He claims they're all perfectly working.

Day one long ago when i got this xbox i discovered the problem, then i emailed him inquiring about this problem never got a response back, emailed him the other day and i got a response saying he doesnt reply to emails on ebay, what kind of stupid response is that, on ebay guidelines your not supposed to do contact outside of ebay but whatever.

Point is, i cant return xbox since it was "15-day return guarantee" and he was obviously trying to avoid a return. And warranty is up.

And the problem is i get white dots all over the screen, like display artifacts, its not like the textures are messing up but the actual display output. Ive tryed 3 different cables, 2 vga monitors and a tv, same problem arrises on everything.

Some games have different problems or lesser effects, for example left 4 dead no problems, halo 3 huge problems sometimes big artifacts that are like 10x10 pixel in size or more and cod4 gets same white dots as halo 3 sometimes a LOT of white dots. And the resident evil 5 demo flashes a blue line at the top of the screen when playing solo which is very distracting, the line is all the way across and solid rather than scattered.

These dots all seem to act in lines, like its usually a series of white dots all along the same vertical line but scattered horizinatally individually rather than a set amount.

Its clear its a heat/strain problem on the GPU or Scaler. Gets worse when the resolution is higher for example way more artifacting at 1680x1050 than 1024x768.

The worst game yet is halo 3 though, sometimes flashes of weird blue and white lines come up and its disturbing and unexplainable but it does put you off.

What i need is a solution to this if anyone has any idea, i have not currently applied any fixes, i have tryed using a 120mm 12v fan placed behind the 360 vents (blowing the air out from the 360 following the flow of course which does help a tiny bit.)

But i need a proper fix, i could do xclamp fix but i dont know if it will work. I don't have access to a heatgun or any kind of machinery or heavy tools for a industrial grade fix, i dont think the XCM corecooler v2 will help. I mainly need a direct fix on the gpu or scaler and a lot of advice anyone could give since i cant return this without paying a fee or RRODing it on deliberate.

The warranty sticker looks slightly damaged so if i rrod'd it with towel trick on deliberate for the 3 year guarantee repair its possible they will deem the console modified and return it unrepaired.

Anyway, xclamp, penny heatsinks, new thermalpaste, bash the chip with a hammer, whatever you guys can think of, and this guy who sold me it sells a majority of 360s on ebay that are cheap so i suggest you avoid him.

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Video of glitching posted:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6FUX0HI3

This post has been edited by Alfarjamie0: Yesterday, 05:35 AM

Alfarjamie0

• Archived User
White Dots / Display Artifacts, Heat Related?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 10:09:00 PM »

I did a little test, took my 360 apart, used a extra 120mm fan for cooling then after doing a bit of halo 3 campaign i took out dvd drive quickly turned off 360 and felt each chips temp with my finger.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/27/64065012...c410916.jpg?v=0

This chip here, dont know what it is, it gets very hot, hotter than most of the other chips.

Every chip in the system gets hot, i have the newer falcon model and the cpu is suprisingly VERY COOL.

but everything else feels like im gonna burn my skin off if i hold my finger on it too long.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7116/tempsuw4.jpg

This here showing what is hot and cold, every single chip around the gpu is boiling hot especially the one the left of it circled in red which was posted at the top of this and the hana/ana chip.

The gpu even with extra cooling still seems to over heat.. Its possibly the scaler or that other chip?

This post has been edited by Alfarjamie0: Yesterday, 06:10 AM