xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Another Audio - No Video Victim  (Read 109 times)

boaby

• Archived User
Another Audio - No Video Victim
« on: October 16, 2007, 08:00:00 AM »

no red lights, no previous error msgs, and video output on the box has just died. playing halo yesterday and mid-game the colours went askew (like a green overlay) with horizontal banding, backing out to the dash solved nothing so after a reboot there was simply no video. troubleshooted the tv and cables and its definately the box.

so, ive got a couple of choices and a few questions as to my quickest way to get back on halo, any help appreciated...

1 - the new machines with the zephyr mobo - are they still using the x-clamp hsinks?
2 - are these new zephyr's on new elites only or cores & premiums as well?
3 - are these new mobo's actually any more reliable?
4 - support said turn-around time for repair is 15 working days - true or false? i'll be pissed if its away longer.
-------
5 - anybody with the same problem tried the x-clamp mod? success/failure?
6 - this ANA video chip only available from other spares/repairs machines? anybody seen these online or anything?
7 - the big question: anyone hazard a guess as to the cause?

TIA.

boaby

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »

randomly after more tries to boot the box up video actually came back. it was fine for a min before the colors got jacked up again, so i took the opportunity to take some pics.....

(IMG:http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/orubap/DSC00284.jpg)

(IMG:http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/orubap/DSC00283.jpg)

(IMG:http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/orubap/DSC00282.jpg)

after a second reboot the video disappeared again. would still really appreciate any answers ppl can give to the original questions, im undecided whether to send it off or just try the x-clamp mod.

boaby

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »

cheers for the replies every1 but ill give an update anyway for those in the same boat.

despite the fact there was 5 months left on the warranty (disregarding 3 reds) i was a bit dubious to send it off since there was no guarantee in what state i'd get the box back or even if i'd get my same well kept box back in the first place. so i did the x-clamp mod and all seems well for the moment.

i spent an age cleaning the heatsinks and processors and used arctic coolings MX-1 when piecing back together. screws and washers i got from screwfix since they have an argos style store near me and their parts specs are well documented to the A2 stainless steel grade. the washers weren't all the exact same height but with extensive measuring with calipers i ended up using 4 underneath the mobo and 2 inbetween mobo and heatsink (of course that'll be dependant on the thickness of your washers). if anybody wants the screwfix cat numbers, leave a msg.

i didn't do the overheat part as the box seems to be working for the moment but if it goes a bit pear shaped down the line, ill probably try that before taking the mobo out again. will update, in a weeks time.

ryrules1

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »

I have the same problem, xbox image started to fray and then died completely  did you follow a tutorial if so I would love to read it. thanks

boaby

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »

sorry ryrules1 i dont visit much or i would have replied sooner. you've probably found it since but for anyone else i used rbjtechs mk3 mod found HERE. also did his tips for seperating the cooling between sinks with cardboard.

box still going since the mod, no errors or freezes so overall pretty happy i didnt send it off after all. just hope it stays this way.

xjsunx

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »

That's awesome. Hopefully it stays working for you. I had a system with the xclamp done and I still got that problem. Eventually the video was gone for good.

midas1968

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »

I am just wondering if this green tint of video death has anything to do with there anit moding thing they got going now/ I heard they screwed a lot of people with the halo 3 bug. Mine concked out on me when i was watching back up dvd of the Shield tv series. Probably not but I thought Id mention that

yukijin

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »

My xbox did the same, took a dive and video now only shows purple dots rolling around the screen. No warrenty so I opened it and gave it a workout, changed the thermal paste and cleaned it with air and such, and no luck what so ever. If it was 3rrod at least it woulda gave an error, but I can boot the box and start a game with sound and all just crapped video output and cannot find any solution for this online.

I am bummed, I wish I bought a ps3 instead.

fred333

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 02:23:00 PM »

I would send it back for a new one.

xjsunx

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(yukijin @ Nov 14 2007, 02:33 PM) View Post

My xbox did the same, took a dive and video now only shows purple dots rolling around the screen. No warrenty so I opened it and gave it a workout, changed the thermal paste and cleaned it with air and such, and no luck what so ever. If it was 3rrod at least it woulda gave an error, but I can boot the box and start a game with sound and all just crapped video output and cannot find any solution for this online.

I am bummed, I wish I bought a ps3 instead.

Likewise, nothing fixed mine. I ended up getting a ps3 afterwards because I'd had enough of the 360 problems. Not only had mine died, but my cousin has had to deal with three different 3RODs. I hate the fact I'm missing out of Mass Effect now too...