xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 3.5 To Stereo Rca Adapter  (Read 45 times)

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
3.5 To Stereo Rca Adapter
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »

how many wires are there on the cable you cut open? there should be at least two (left and right channel). there should also be a ground in there too.

can you post a pic of what you have done so far to help us help you?

RBJTech

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 04:25:00 AM »

On the ex-headphones cable you've likely got two coax connectors (formed together in a figure of 8 - split them first) - one core will have a braid (outer wire shield) and a likely a red wire 'inside it' - ther other the same with a white wire inside it.  Twist the braid together on each wire to form a 2nd 'wire'. (so 4 wires total)

What you basically need to do is connect the internal red wire to the red phono(RCA) central pin and the outer braid/shield to the outer part of the phono(RCA) plug.  Do the same for the white.

Just hold them on there to test, when you get sound then you can go about making it a bit more permanent.  Doing a direct wire to wire connection (2 left, 2 right) is the only option if you're not going to use the proper connectors as trying to attach wire to a phono plug is a no-no ...

I hope this helps ... smile.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »

Are your speakers self powered? if not the console wont be producing enough juice to drive them.

If they are self powered then you should read the advice above. But I'd just like to add:

Depending on the quality of the headphone cable you tore up you'll have 3 or 4 wires in that cable... in the case of 3 the shielding will need to be split and fed to both of the RCA connectors.

IMO Working with headphone wires is a huge PITA because of how they're built to save space I make many of my own wires and adapters and I avoid headphone wire like the plague. I'd HIGHLY recommend just biting the bullet and getting a solderable 3.5mm jack that you can feed your own wire into, either that or just buy a real damn adapter already  laugh.gif

Something like this:
IPB Image