xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Av Cable Interference Lines  (Read 36 times)

solidus28

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Av Cable Interference Lines
« on: April 11, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »

I have a similar issue.  THere is constant 'noise' (white bars moving across the screen and sometimes the screen will 'roll').  I have posted about this issue in the past and people pointed to my tv.  I have a Sony 57" CRT RPTV.  I have had the TV looked at.  I have had the 360 replaced under warranty twice and have tried 2 different component cables.  I have narrowed it down to two things, but I'm still confused.  I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable DVR provided by Bright House.  It has also been replaced and I have had it connected with component cables at one time and HDMI at a different time.  In addition to all that, I used to use a Pelican HD selector box, but have recently purchased a Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver and am able to run most of my devices through that.  THe cable box is connected via HDMI to the receiver and the receiver connects to the TV by HDMI.  The 360 is connected directly to the TV via component.  Previously they were both routed through the Pelican box via component video.  WIth both devices connected, I get major interference on the input the 360 is hooked up and minor interference on the other inputs.  If I disconnect the cable box, all is well.  If I disconnect the 360, all is well.  SInce everything has been replaced, I'm really not sure what the problem is, but it is quite annoying.  Any ideas?  Feel free to ask questions as I'm sure there will be some.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(KboxMod @ Apr 12 2007, 06:41 AM) View Post

Hi everyone. When I power on my xbox 360 everything runs fine, but I get lines the scroll across the screen like there might be interferece. I can still play games, but the lines are really anoying. Any thoughts? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

try moving the cables or plugging into a different input. does the interference change when you move the cables around while the xbox is on?

QUOTE(solidus28 @ Apr 12 2007, 11:23 AM) View Post

I have a similar issue.  THere is constant 'noise' (white bars moving across the screen and sometimes the screen will 'roll').  I have posted about this issue in the past and people pointed to my tv.  I have a Sony 57" CRT RPTV.  I have had the TV looked at.  I have had the 360 replaced under warranty twice and have tried 2 different component cables.  I have narrowed it down to two things, but I'm still confused.  I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable DVR provided by Bright House.  It has also been replaced and I have had it connected with component cables at one time and HDMI at a different time.  In addition to all that, I used to use a Pelican HD selector box, but have recently purchased a Sony STR-DG1000 A/V Receiver and am able to run most of my devices through that.  THe cable box is connected via HDMI to the receiver and the receiver connects to the TV by HDMI.  The 360 is connected directly to the TV via component.  Previously they were both routed through the Pelican box via component video.  WIth both devices connected, I get major interference on the input the 360 is hooked up and minor interference on the other inputs.  If I disconnect the cable box, all is well.  If I disconnect the 360, all is well.  SInce everything has been replaced, I'm really not sure what the problem is, but it is quite annoying.  Any ideas?  Feel free to ask questions as I'm sure there will be some.

well your problem sounds like interference within the tv...thats not a good thing

RBJTech

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 04:41:00 AM »

Grounding has a major influence on interference - a couple of things to try.

1. Are ALL the devices plugged into the same local extention sockets ?  Or do you have one plugged into the wall whilst another is plugged into a different socket ?

The grounds should all be as close together as possible - your amp 'may' have a grouding point - in which case it's well worth connecting this to ground as well.

I believe the Xbox 360 PSU has a 'floating ground' which means it's not actually connected to ground directly - so this may have an impact, I'm not sure.

2. Keep ALL signal wires away from the mains wires - you will get mains interference @ 50Hz (or whatever US mains voltage runs at..) especially if they run in parallel with them (never cable tie them together!)  Wires that cross @ 90 Degress are generally fine - but keep them as far away as you can get them ideally ...

3. RF (radio frequency) is rarely a problem on short wires, but it WILL be picked up on coiled wires - so uncoil any wires, it may look neater but you've just made an antenea to pick up RF ... wink.gif

I hope this helps ...

aeris316

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »

Having same problem.  I get rolling lines on the bottom 1/4 of the screen.  It only happens every 10 minutes or so, almost not noticeable but enough to bug the heck out me.  Using the above suggestions, I isolated the AV lines from any power lines and plugged everything into a common outlet.  I also tried it with and w/o an APC power supply.  I had it hooked up to a Sony receiver for audio and a 40" Samsung HDTV that does 720p.  Isolating the 360 from the other wires and removing the Sony receiver from the picture seemed to help a little.  I plugged all AV component cables into the Samsung TV, but the problem still persists, albeit not as much.
The problem cropped up when I added the HD-DVD drive.  Thinking it was the drive, I disconnected it as well.. notta. I'm wondering if it may be something to do with the HD-DVD driver updates.  
I'm thinking about offloading this 360 for a Elite, but I dunno if that will fix the problem either.  Guess it could be one of two things at this point, the TV or the xbox.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 07:29:00 AM »

I think you're all having different issues

1. Are you sure the "rolling" is not just screen tearing? Does it happen in some games but not others? does it happen in the dashboard or watching movies or just games?

screen tearing is usually when you see the image on the screen split in two creating a horizontal line where half of the image is a frame behind. So when you move side to side it make it look like the image is being cut in two and shifted to one side.

This split can appear anywhere on the screen and it will usually appear and moved up and down a bit and then disappear for a while.

There is no solution for screen tearing as it's caused by how the game was programmed.

2. using component output on a non HDTV... The reason you're seeing a gabled image is because your force feeding your TV a signal it doesn't understand. I've heard that you should switch component cables to the "TV" position if you want 480i playback out of the component leads... I've not tested this myself so I cant confirm. I do know for a fact that the lowest they can go when switched to the "HDTV" position is 480p and your non-HD CRT probably doesn't support that

3. Interference... Interference is a funny thing... it's around 100% of the time and if it becomes a problem it's usually the fault of some shitty components lack of being able to block normal incoming interferences.
Things to check

Things to check
#1. make sure you're not using shitty cables. If they're not the originally supplied cables then I'd make them a suspect

#2. did you remove any of the metal cage surrounding the Xbox 360's internals? if so... it's there for a reason

#3. do your AV cables run along side power cables for distances longer than 6 inches?

#4. are you using an AV switch? Are you using a receiver to switch AV channels?

#5. does your power cable (for any of your components) have a ground prong that has been removed, or used "adapted" to remove the ground prong from use?

#6. Are all of your devices plugged into the same wall circuit (if you shut the one breaker off would it turn off all your components)?

#7. Are you using a surge protector or power splitter with any components? Are your components all using the same surge protector or power splitter?

#8. Are you using a power conditioner with any of your components?

^ answer those 8 questions and I'll tell you what to try to fix your interference issues.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 07:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(davidherson @ Aug 13 2007, 10:11 AM) View Post

Possible solution:[/u]

1. Would it be worth my while investing in the optical audio cable????  

If not, what could you suggest....Assistance would be deeply appreciated.

Regards

if your receiver accepts optical inputs then you should definitely go that route, without question.

if you get them from monoprice they're not all that expensive either: http://www.monoprice...r...0229&style=

FWIW those monoprice cables are higher quality than the Monster crap BestBuy sells.

Jupiter2375

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(KboxMod @ Apr 11 2007, 02:10 PM) View Post

Hi everyone. When I power on my xbox 360 everything runs fine, but I get lines the scroll across the screen like there might be interferece. I can still play games, but the lines are really anoying. Any thoughts? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

My new PSU has arrived. Guess what...it's even worst than my old one. Now I have static noise all over the screen, so bad that I can't even see the graphics sometimes. So, the "dirty" power supply unit appears to me the source of all static issues (white dotted lines scrolling diagonally, horizontally or vertically across the TV screen) that have been going around here.  At least my old works very good if I keep it cool by leaving the case open and blowing air onto its circuit board with its own fan, which is glued to the upper half of the case.

Jrocker23

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(KboxMod @ Apr 11 2007, 04:10 PM) View Post

Im having the same problem, but i know the interference is coming from my verizon fios dvr(hdmi connection). If I disconnect the fios box the lines are gone. If I hook up my friends 360 via HDMI, I have no lines at all but when I hook up my 360 with vga or component i get lines. My 360 has no hdmi so I dont know what else to do..

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Cliffclof

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »

Hello I fixed mine after I had plugged I into an sd projector tv using different xbox cables.   It had lines and horrible quality and would not display 1080.  It looked horrible but I didn't notice it until I checked here.   I unplugged everything blew out the xbox and moved the power cords checked all the connections and when I plugged it back in.  Walla. 1080 and beautiful.  I had forgotten how it looked.

cryingdady

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »

thanks for shairng!

under420dog

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »

well in some cases noise lines dark waves means a bad cap somewhere PSU,TV,360 ect (or a leaking diode skip this for now)
i have been repairing electronics for over 25 years and still use a esd(inline cap checker so you don't have to pull the caps out)(esd is custom built rare find)  to check caps inline and find brand new caps shorted,leaking or just dry....its a long process but worth looking into...

easy way of checking is get caps similar 6.3 volts 2200uf (examples) and just touch them to the caps (make sure the match up in volts and uf very close) and pos and neg are on right...the unit can be on and this will guide you into a direction of seeing whats going on,clearing the problem up a bit...then just de-solder the cap and replace it...

P.S damm KboxMod you opened up a can of worms...sort of speaking...lol

ratchett-mann

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »

I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM..MY TV HAS 5 INPUTS..INPUT 5 IS WHAT I USE FOR MY XBOX 360..WHEN I TURN MY XBOX 360 ON THE PICTURE IS SCRAMBELED BT I GET SOUND...WHEN I HAVE IT ON REGULAR TV THE CHANNELS SHOWS CLEAR BT WHEN I SWITCH TO THE INPUT AND TURN THE CONSOLE ON ITS SCRAMBELED..ALSO WHEN I TURN THE CONSOLE OFF WHILE ITS ON THE INPUT AND TURN THE VOLUME ALL THE WAY UP I CAN HEAR SOUND LIKE A TV CHANNEL ANY SOLUTIONS??? IT WORKED FINE B4 THEN THE NEXT DAY IT WAS MESSED UP