xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vga To Dvi Adaptor  (Read 87 times)

BoNg420

• Archived User
Vga To Dvi Adaptor
« on: November 14, 2006, 07:07:00 PM »

QUOTE(ratis @ Nov 14 2006, 08:28 PM) View Post

i was wondering if i bought a vga cable for my 360 than connected a vga to dvi adaptor from that into my tv
would my picture quality be any better. since my tv doesnt have a vga port
anyway thats it any info you guys can offer would be awesome thanx

Shouldnt make a difference in quality.  Its the cable or source that makes the picsture better I believe.

throwingks

• Archived User
Vga To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:08:00 PM »

How are you connecting now? VGA is analog, DVI can be either analog(DVI-I) or digital(DVI-D). A VGA to DVI-D convertor is very expensive.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Vga To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »

moving to the AV tech forum...

read the sticky there it explain this in detail

in short, it will either
A. make no difference at all (literally) or
B. not even work.

Geirskogul

• Archived User
Vga To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »

Correction: you're connecting through COMPONENT, the THREE colored ones. (YPbPr)

Composite is the shitty little yellow connector.

http://en.wikipedia....Component_Video

biggrin.gif

Alex Atkin UK

• Archived User
Vga To Dvi Adaptor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »

For a lot of TVs VGA is the best connection anyway because HDMI tends to be overscanned (chops off the edge of the screen) whereas VGA can be set to run pixel for pixel accurate to your TVs panel therefore giving to clearest picture.  

I was really pissed when I found that out as I wanted to connect a PC to HDMI but it chops the taskbar off and looks blurry because its taking a 1280x720 signal, chopping say 10% off (thats a guesstimate) leaving 1152x648 which its THEN stretching to my panels native resolution of 1366x768 and in doing so blurring the image.  The 360 on the other hand over VGA does 1360x768 and my TV just ignores 3 pixels on the left and right to output that natively pixel for pixel accurate, other than the minor loss you get over an analog signal (you cant notice it in-game or when watching a movie, just a slight ghost in places when left on the dashboard).

Sadly, VGA is the ONLY input that doesnt overscan although the PC I have plugged into HDMI is only playing none-HD video files so its not going to make much difference for that anyway.  However the wallpaper I have set for the background looked MUCH better on VGA which shows the loss you are getting for stuff that IS close to the panel resolution.  Even worse, most TV manufacturers do the same.  I have a Samsung btw, an otherwise brilliant TV that is let down by the stupid fact that only VGA allows an accurate HDTV signal - so a good quality VGA switchbox is next on my list.