xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Does Samsung 56" Dlp Lag?  (Read 101 times)

hanzblinx

• Archived User
Does Samsung 56" Dlp Lag?
« on: April 29, 2006, 01:04:00 AM »

I got a 360 today and i need a 720p tv for it.  Our local bestbuy has an open item special for a 56" samsung dlp for 1499 that seems like a good deal.  Apparantly it's not the latest model, they have a newer model samsung 56" dlp for 2399.

THey also had an open item 61" toshiba dlp for 1799 that looked interesting.  

Any input on lag or recommendations for other TV's is greatly appreciated.  I want to pick up a new TV asap so let me know your opinions.  

the hanz

woofis

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 11:47:00 AM »

do you have the specs on the tv? we cant tell you anything untill we see the specs.

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 07:17:00 AM »

If its an HLR Model DLP it has lag. If possible bring a sports (baseball) or fast action FPS game (halo 2, PDZ) and test it out for yourself. Also look for the game mode option in the set up screen. If your 360 still shows lag after trying out the games with game mode enabled, try the HLS models. I heard these are a little better with games. But whatever you do, always demo the set first

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(d7onr8 @ May 1 2006, 09:45 AM) View Post

I have this TV and use it for gaming.  It does have lag but its not video lag; a common misconception.  It has Audio lag if using an external audio receiver (sound system) hooked up to it for any device; be it a console or dvd player.  I had to buy a sound receiver that features audio delay and it solved 99% of the delay problem.  I say 99% because the receiver I got does not have adjustable sound delay - it is delayed by a set amount so it is not 100% insync.  If you don't have an external sound system, I'd say go for it if you want it.  If you plan on using an external sound system, go for something else.  To reiterate, video lag is non-existant, it is audio lag (sync issues) while using an external audio receiver (not the TV's native speakers).

No, it DOES have video lag.  I've witnessed it in person.  Now, let me prove it to you.  You said that you had audio sync issues and fixed it by using a reciever that features audio delay.  Now, if you had to delay your audio to sync with your video, the only way for that to be possible is if your audio was occuring before the picture caught up.  Hence your video was and still is delayed, but now you've delayed your audio to match the video.  The reason it only happened with the external reciever is that the TV set already has a built-in audio delay.  

The lag associated with Sammy DLPs is from a post process... some models allow you to turn it off, some don't.  It's not a huge lag and is hard to notice with most games.  Not everyone can see it, but trust me... the lag is there.

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »

I have read up on the Samsung DLP threads on the AVSforum for the HLR models and video lag is the main reason why people are finding these round about ways of disabling the DNIe feature. I've heard the newer HLS models (some atleast) allow you to disable this in one of the main menu screens. At any rate samsung has also publicly admitted that there older model DLPs have lag when it comes to gaming.

Scroll down to where it says "Important" highlighted in blue once you click on the link

http://erms.samsungu...qs/faqs_ars.jsp

They have instituted a "game mode" but for the most part, it still does not fix the problem. Lag is still noticeable in reaction based games as the ones I mentioned in my previous post.

Like I said before, to see if its acceptable to you, demo the tv

edit: for some reason the link isn't working. Anyways, click on any dlp on the product page then locate the "TV Support" link on the right side of the screen. In the search area type in "video game lag" It should take you to the exact same page.

MadPerry

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »

i have a 50" samsung DLP from the HL-R line.  to be fair, i have noticed the audio lag when listening carefully.  it is so slight and not an issue with me because i have either the internal speakers on, or my receiver on.  never at the same time.  all i know is that i love this tv like no other.  a damn nice picture and if there is video lag, i can not tell.  i believe these sets use the latest DLP technology(version 5?).