xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Score System Selector Pro 2.0  (Read 275 times)

fahrenheit

• Archived User
Score System Selector Pro 2.0
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »

I've decided to get one of these http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-2q-77-...ent-70-3cb.html as a stop-gap until I can afford a new AV receiver that can switch component.

I've read many comments of this passive switch working fine with 720p and 1080i with none of the problems of the powered switches. I've got a second component input on the HDTV, so that will cover the four inputs I need. I'll have to use an optical switch aswell, but I really can't see any other suitable solution until Joytech bring their 360-styled switch to market. Even then, I don't particularly want that hideous thing in my rack.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 06:41:00 AM »

I'm currently looking at the CE Labs SW104HD or the Audio Authority 1154a as alternatives. Both units are more expensive and have less features but it would be worth it if the quality is there.

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »

Joytech makes one similar to the score: AV Control Center 240

I'm not sure how reliable their stuff is though. I have heard good things about audio authority.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(autoxerFSP21 @ Apr 11 2006, 01:26 PM) View Post

Joytech makes one similar to the score: AV Control Center 240

I'm not sure how reliable their stuff is though. I have heard good things about audio authority.

well it looked promising from Joytech's website, ran a google search and this was the first site to come up

http://www.evilavata...read.php?t=7530

the review didn't seem to have any problems but he also didn't seem to test 1080i very throughly or speak much on the quality past "it looks great!". Lots of the replies are people who have used it with a 360 and extensivly tested HD signals with it and were not very happy at all.

also the unit only seems to be available in Canada.

For now I'm sticking with Audio Authority  laugh.gif

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 02:22:00 PM »

Yes, as I pointed out in my first post, the Joytech unit is a flawed product, (I should have been more specific).
It is said to be worse than the Score system by people who have compared the two. It suffers loss of sync with bright images, interference lines and heavy ghosting. Joytech have even said to people who have complained that they will have to wait for the 360 styled unit as a suitable replacement.

Glock.45

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 04:05:00 PM »

I just bought Psyclone Source Selector.  I like it so far, but the Ethernet loses connection when you switch to another device.  The remote kind of sucks too.    So far I have not noticed any picture quality loss.  I will post a full review, when I get some time.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2006, 08:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(Glock.45 @ Apr 11 2006, 06:12 PM) View Post

I just bought Psyclone Source Selector.  I like it so far, but the Ethernet loses connection when you switch to another device.  The remote kind of sucks too.    So far I have not noticed any picture quality loss.  I will post a full review, when I get some time.

I was at Best Buy yesterday and picked up this unit, I was reluctant at first because I hadn't found ANY info on it at all but I decided to buy it because it was a local store so I could just return it if it didn't work out (unlike the Score which I had to pay shipping back +15% restocking fee  dry.gif ).

Anyway The unit works FANTASTIC. The picture is flawless and identical to what it looks like without the switch at all.

This unit AFAIK only comes in Silver, it has a much nicer looking LCD and front panel, it only has 4 inputs but ALL 4 do optical audio (only 3 on the score did). It doesn't have Digital Coaxial but you could use the Composite video port for that since they both carry the same switching and throughput requirements/standards. There's no front panel access, (which is fine by me because I never use that and my receivers got one if I absolutely need it). The unit is slightly larger then the score, it's the same width but slightly taller and deeper and much heavier. It definitely feels like a higher quality unit All the connectors on the back are gold plated too (which is really what sold me on giving it a try).

The remote is slim (like a projector remote) and though it's plastic it feels much better then the big clunky thing the score came with. My only problem is that it only has 3 buttons, Power, Selection up and Selection down. The problem with this is I plan on programing remote macros to control all my devices and without discrete selections it could be very tricky to do so. I'll have to see if I can find out what standard it uses and if I can actually call discrete channel numbers.

One nice thing is it lets you program the LCD to say whatever you want, not just select the name from a list. It takes a little longer but works out better in the end. It's only got 8 characters though so it's big enough for "GameCube" but not "Playstation" or "Dreamcast"

I'd definitely recommend this unit over the score one, any day.

Perplexer

• Recovered User
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »

I've been eyeing the Psyclone switch also and may end up picking it up too.  That lack of discrete codes is a downer, though...

I do have a Harmony (520) remote which is supposed to remember the state of each device, so let's say my 360 is on port 1, and the DVD player on #4, it *should* know to just send the "previous input" command, which, while not quite a discrete code, may work nearly as well.

No biggie on the ethernet ports; I have my stuff wired to a cheap 5-port switch.  While it would have been nice for them to incorporate a true ethernet hub/switch in the thing, it's understandable they didn't at this price point.

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2006, 05:11:00 PM »

Well, I'm glad the psyclone one worked out for you. I had their cables on my original xbox and they were of very good quality.

Here's some pics of the silver one and proof that no ghosting is occuring on my setup(I hyperlinked them because of their size ~500kb).

Score Pro 2.0

ghost 1

ghost 2

ghost 3

Sorry about the quality on those pics. I'm using a CRT TV and my digital camera is quite old.

EDIT:
Here are some pics with the 360 hooked directly to my tv. Component video @ 1080i on a panasonic CT-26wx15 for those who are curious.

ghost 5

ghost 6

This post has been edited by autoxerFSP21: Apr 17 2006, 12:12 AM

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2006, 06:10:00 PM »

Well I'm glad you don't have any video quality issues autoxerFSP21. Thinking about my problem the people who cited similar problems to me also had very similar setups, that is to say they were both using DLP projectors. It could be something in the way the switch handled the signal that effects the way DLPs work, or it could be we just got bad ones and the effects we saw were coincidence.

In any case I'm very happy with the Psyclone so far..

oh and to those thinking about the PSyclone, I forgot to mention in my mini review above, it doesn't come with any cables to speak of. Also the power cord is hardwired in and the PSU is internal instead of a wall wort (both which are positive in my opinion). I'd rather they spend the money on a better unit as opposed to including crappy cable that I wouldn't use anyway. Also the lack of a wall wort is not only cleaner but it frees up some space on my power conditioner. The only stuff int he box is the unit itself, the remote, battery, and a manual. It has "instructions" on how to program the names for the different inputs but really its just a confusing flow chart.

Just do it this way:
-Push the "select" button until the selector is on the input you want to program
-Push IN the "edit" button, the screen will say "edit"
-Push IN the "edit" button again, the screen will say the current title with an underline under the first character
-Push the edit button up or down to change the letter in the selected (underlined) position. You can hold it up or down to fast scroll through the available characters.
-Push the edit button left or right to change the selected position
-Once the name has been set how you like it push IN the edit button to submit your changes.

Glock.45

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »

I'm gald you all like the Psyclone.  I like mine more and more.  I wish the backlight had a dimmer.  When I'm watching movies, I find it distracting.  I wish they sold it in black.  It is the only componet I have that is silver.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2006, 07:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(Glock.45 @ Apr 16 2006, 10:28 PM) View Post

I'm gald you all like the Psyclone.  I like mine more and more.  I wish the backlight had a dimmer.  When I'm watching movies, I find it distracting.  I wish they sold it in black.  It is the only componet I have that is silver.

yeah I have the same complaints you do. Aside from the Psyclone and the 360 everything else I own is black

The first thing I thought when I powered it on was "gee I wonder if it has a night mode so I can turn off those LEDs.

But honestly the LEDs in the 360 controller bother me more then the Psyclone does.  laugh.gif

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2006, 08:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Apr 17 2006, 09:35 AM) *

The first thing I thought when I powered it on was "gee I wonder if it has a night mode so I can turn off those LEDs.

I feel the same about the Score as well. It is extremely bright at night.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »

Interesting delema here...

Before I bought the Psyclone I found a few auctions for the Audio Authority 1154a, most were around $200 (the MSRP) but there was one auction where the guy left the "a" off the end and it was apparent that it wasn't turning up in searches as it only had 1 bid and was at $60. So I put a snipe in at $130 (because I was eying the CE Labs switch at that price).

Looking around he had another auction for an Audio Authority Model 90, 4 component inputs, no audio, manual switch, but the switch was still electronic and relay controlled. It was only up to $10 and ended at the same time as the other auction. So I put a snipe in at $25 and figuring I could add IR switching support myself and if I won both I could just resell the model 90.

The Auctions ended. someone outbid me by $10 for the 1154a and I won the model 90 at $10.50. Even still I picked up the Psyclone over the weekend and figured I'd just tool around with the model 90 once it came in.

Yesterday morning when I got to work I had an email from the guy with a tracking number saying he'd be shipping out the model 90 that afternoon... cool... I get home from work and there's a package from him waiting for me...  blink.gif ... I open it up and there's the 1154a inside

So I go to my computer and check the tracking number he gave me, it says the package is en route and scheduled to be delivered TOMORROW with my address as the destination.

So apparently this guy sent me BOTH switches, even though I only won the cheap one and only sent him $10.

I tried emailing him back but the emails keep bouncing back saying his address doesn't exist (strange considering I received an email from him with the tracking number, possibly he sends using a fake addy).

so now I have 4 switches (since the Score hasn't been sent back yet)  laugh.gif

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2006, 06:04:00 AM »

So, a buddy of mine bought the Score selector and after seeing that he didn't suffer from any ghosting, I decided to pick one up as well.  I really like the unit so far and  haven't experienced any ghosting yet either, but I ran into a somewhat significant problem.

For some reason, whenever I play video through the 360 with the media center extender the screen starts to flicker.  Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes it doesn't happen until the video stops... but it's bad.  Almost like a mild stobe effect.  It seems to effect blacks more than any other colors.  After that, if I exit back into the dashboard everything will flicker there as well.  The only solution so far is to reset the 360.  This flickering is only displayed on the 360 and doesn't carry over to my DTV.  Strange thing is, it only occurs while using the system selector.   I can play games, dvds and downloaded trailers with no problem, but as soon as I play video through the extender it goes haywire.

Any ideas on what may be going on?  Based on the symptoms it sounds like a 360 issue, but since it only occurs with the selector I'm at a loss for solutions short of getting a different selector (which I'd like to avoid).

This post has been edited by lowendfrequency: May 15 2006, 01:06 PM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4