xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Score System Selector Pro 2.0  (Read 276 times)

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
Score System Selector Pro 2.0
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 05:29:00 AM »

I don't have the same problem, but I can only think of a few differences between our setup.

The adapter for the pelcian switch is plugged into my power conditioner.
I'm using good quality component cables (monoprice)
I'm not converting any video signal to a different kind of input (straight component to my CRT HDTV).

Good luck man. I'm really happy with the switch. Hopefully your problem gets solved with the new cables.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 06:15:00 AM »

mine is also plugged into a power conditioner

as for the cables. it's not actually "converting" anything, the projector only has a VGA port but it double as a component input, it just needs something to adapt the component cables to VGA, a lot of projectors are like this.

miggidy

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »

I just got mine in yesterday and played with it a little last night.

I must say, my picture looks a lot cleaner now.
But then again, that could've been because I used a different component (monster) cable instead of the supplied cheapish stuff these selectors come with.
Oh but wait, it looks even better than it did with my X360 plugged in straight to my Sammy LCD.
Perhaps these units filter out noise, or gives you a signal boost? I'll have to look up its documentation.

Something's up.
I got started pretty late last night, so I'll look more into it this weekend.
I did notice some shadowing/bleeding of scrolling black text on a bright background.
It was only noticable when ever the text moved.
I'm not sure how bad it is in comparison to just plugging the 360 into my LCD directly.
It could just be common motion blur associated with every LCD.
The funny thing is that it never jumped out at me in the past which leads me to believe that this is a new problem. However the irony is that my picture looks much better overall.

I'll get to the bottom of this, hopefully tonight or some time tomorrow.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(miggidy @ Apr 7 2006, 01:15 PM) View Post

I'll get to the bottom of this, hopefully tonight or some time tomorrow.

Yes I'm hoping that the image is actually better and I'm seeing defects that were masked with the muddy old switch somehow...  smile.gif

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2006, 04:08:00 PM »

Most of the complaints about this particular switch seem to be directed towards 480p.
If you guys could give 480p a good going over, I'd like to hear the results. I believe that highly bright areas such as the 360 boot sequence with all its white are problematic, causing loss of sync.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »

OK did some more testing...

first thing I did was pop in my DVE DVD and re-tuned my screen.

as for having trouble on bright images I tried booting the 360 in every mode (480p, 720p, 1080i) it didn't pose any sync problems on any of them. I also tired running my Clerks DVD as on of my old TVs had lots of trouble with bright white images and always wigged out on the menu of that DVD, I experienced no problems with that either.

Interesting though... my PS2 though component in 480i showed NO SHADOWING at all. The 360 regardless of what mode it was in had it, no better no worse even running the 360 through the same input used by the PS2 it was there.

There are 2 cables between the switch and my projector, plugging the 360 directly into the 1st cable connected to the projector. the image was PERFECT. So whatever is causing the shadow is either the switch or the short cable coming out of the switch that I skipped.

...and when I say the image was perfect I mean it looked better then I ever remember it being...

I should also note that my receiver has a built in power conditioner as well as fused outlets for other devices, moving the selector from my normal power conditioner to he receiver made no difference. I went and plugged it into a raw outlet too and it made no difference in the shadowing (slight bit of interference there though)

I'll be running the new cables through the ceiling tomorrow morning, so we'll see what happens. If it still doesn't look right after I run the new cables I'll probably be returning it and looking for a new one, I really want this thing to work though, it's really perfect in terms of looks and features... why can't it just work right  sad.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2006, 06:17:00 AM »

OK I just swapped over to the new wires, and the shadows are still there.

Just so you understand what I'm talking about I took some pictures, My camera takes crappy dark pictures so when you look at these understand that the effect is FAR more apparent in person.

With the System Selector:
(IMG:http://web-nine.com/albums/projector/with_switch.jpg)

Without the System selector:
(IMG:http://web-nine.com/albums/projector/with_out_switch.jpg)

I'm sure you'll first notice that the colors are slightly different, this isn't the camera, I took several pictures to be sure, they're actually coming out that different.

Now look at the end of the word "will" and you'll notice 2 ghosted "ll"s off to the right. Then look at every other letter on the page including the title way up top and EVERYTHING has a shadow.

Looking at this I believe that the selector attempts to boost the signal, the result is and abnormally bright picture and shadowing of every object on the screen.

Those of you who have this selector. Take a good close look at yours.

I'd really like to know if this is something that all of these devices do or just the one I got. If it's just mine I'd consider returning it for a new one. If it's ALL devices then I'll probably just return this and look for something new.

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2006, 08:49:00 AM »

Hmmm.... I think I'll mess around with mine some tomorrow.

Did you run your DVE dvd through the xbox 360 while it was connected through the switch? Have you contacted Pelican or Score about the issue? I beleive it has a 5 year warranty, so you may want to try a new switch before returning your current one.

Jelly4000

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »

While i don't have a projector, or a system selector, or even the same kind of lead, i have the same problem. I run my 360 into a switchbox with my pc as well out to my monitor. It's a crappy switchbox (10 quid or so). Seems odd that a 100 quid box does it as well. To be fair, my problem is much more pronounced...

I doubt it's the power of it though, as my switch is unpowered, it's probably just interferance between the cables.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2006, 01:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Jelly4000 @ Apr 8 2006, 01:11 PM) View Post

While i don't have a projector, or a system selector, or even the same kind of lead, i have the same problem. I run my 360 into a switchbox with my pc as well out to my monitor. It's a crappy switchbox (10 quid or so). Seems odd that a 100 quid box does it as well. To be fair, my problem is much more pronounced...

I doubt it's the power of it though, as my switch is unpowered, it's probably just interferance between the cables.

hmm, you're probably right about the power, as I mentioned before I get this while using the old pelican switch too, only with that one it is extremely faint and from a normal sitting distance unnoticable.

though even when the 360 was the ONLY device plugged into the switch I get the shadow.  dry.gif

I was fine with component outputs up to this point but now I wish there was a digitial option avaible... you don't get crap like this with digital signals  dry.gif

miggidy

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2006, 12:29:00 AM »

Ok I've finally got around to checking my set up.
It looks like I chased some ghost away becuase what ever problem I had with my new LCD is now gone.
I guess the system selector fixed what ever was ailing my LCD because it looks much better now.

I checked both the picture quality via the selector and directly through the components.
I don't see any difference in terms of picture quality.
But I'll admit that I'm an HDTV virgin so perhaps my eyes aren't trained to pick up some of the finer details.

However Twisted there's a chance that you might just have a deffective unit.
I checked the AVS Forum site and many on there who've bought this selector have reported a few deffects. The most common was dead outputs.

I haven't gotten the chance of testing what the picture quality in 480i/p looks like so I can't say much.

You guys might want to check out the AVS forums.
It's a great place for AV equipment info.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?

This post has been edited by miggidy: Apr 9 2006, 07:39 AM

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »

I hooked mine to the tv and then to the switch and I still didn't have any ghosting.

You must have a bad switch or a cable, IMO.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 08:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(miggidy @ Apr 9 2006, 03:44 AM) View Post

...However Twisted there's a chance that you might just have a deffective unit.
I checked the AVS Forum site and many on there who've bought this selector have reported a few deffects. The most common was dead outputs.

I haven't gotten the chance of testing what the picture quality in 480i/p looks like so I can't say much.
You guys might want to check out the AVS forums.
It's a great place for AV equipment info.
http://www.avsforum....vs-vb/index.php?

I did post about this in both the avsforum and the avforms, I haven't received a response from either  dry.gif

QUOTE(autoxerFSP21 @ Apr 9 2006, 10:04 PM) View Post

I hooked mine to the tv and then to the switch and I still didn't have any ghosting.

You must have a bad switch or a cable, IMO.

It's definitely not the cable, the above pictures were using the same exact cables. The only difference is I replaced the switch with 3 Gold Female/Female RCA barrel plugs to create a straight through connection.

The unit is all boxed back up and ready to ship back. I'm going to try again but this time see if I can find a local store that carries it so If I have problems I can take it back in person. If that doesn't work out I'm going to get the unit from CE Labs... it only has 4 inputs and doesn't do optical but it looks like a really solid unit over all, and they boast their low cross-talk and interference specs. Something I can't even find on the unit I've got...

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »

I've seen the score selector in EB, Gamestop, and Rhino.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »

QUOTE(autoxerFSP21 @ Apr 10 2006, 11:25 AM) View Post

I've seen the score selector in EB, Gamestop, and Rhino.

Neither my "local" (25 miles away) Gamestop nor "local" EB carry it. Though I remember seeing 1 for sale at a Gamestop about 50 miles away a few months ago  rolleyes.gif I haven't checked Bestbuy but I don't remember having seen it there, I've never even seen a Rhino store before.

Though looking over on the avsform there were two other people there citing the same exact problems I'm experiencing.... so it's not just my imagination.

Also the older version of this switch apparently didn't have adequate bandwidth to properly switch 720p or 1080i signals... no tests have been done on this unit but it's said to use similar internal parts so... probably has the same problem.

Also interesting Newegg has stopped carrying this unit. shooting them an email asking where it went they replied that they basically had far too many returns and decided to stop carrying it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4