xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Score System Selector Pro 2.0  (Read 274 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Score System Selector Pro 2.0
« on: March 28, 2006, 03:46:00 PM »

My current AV selector (the $25 Pelican one) crapped out on me over the weekend, I was re-aranging some of my wires and one of the inputs just stopped working, it only offers 3 HD inputs and I needed 4, now I only have 2 so I'm looking at other options.

I saw the the "SCORE System Selector Pro 2.0" for sale at nearby GameStop a while back for $100, I didn't think much of it till now. It looks like a nice unit, Hi-Fi looking case, it's got a remote and an LCD display as well as 5 component inputs AND Optical Audio switching. I can't find ANY information on it though. I had to dig around just to find out the above.

Also Here is the best info I've found on it: http://store.videogamecentral.com/pesyseprocwa.html

the few sites I've found that carry it all charge $99 and the one site I found that charges less seems REALLY shady.

Just wondering if anyone else is using this or has any experience with it. I'll probably order one soon unless someone come to me with a horror story.

I'm open to suggestions if you have any alternatives but keep this in mind

-Price around $100
-at least 5 Component video inputs
-Perfer to have it switch optical audio (but not a deal breaker)
-Perfer to have it look like a piece of Hi-Fi equipment to match my other stuff (again not a deal breaker)

for reference my other stuff looks like this:
(IMG:http://www.marantz.com/hifi/america/news/press_releases/sr6200.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.ahanix.com/images/Upload/ImgTech/27_20056211927317110988234.jpg)

jtom617

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 12:14:00 AM »

my best friend danny has it, im pretty sure its the same one cause he was bragging about the ethernets? but it looks really nice in his setup, and for performance, i didnt notice any increases or decreases. Hope this helps. PS. he plugs 2 xboxs in to it and 1 xbox 360.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 04:01:00 AM »

cool thanks

I'm not too concerned with performance so long as it doesn't add massive amounts of interference or something. I've pretty much accepted the fact that any switching device short of a $400 SIMA will probably suck performance wise by comparison.

IMO having Ethernet ports on there is pretty useless but meh, to each his own...

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »

I ended up ordering it...

from here: https://www.shop4tec...8&cata=&s_cata=

The site has a fantastic review rating, it was $20 cheaper, with free shipping, on AND they carried it in Black

Not to mention they had a couple of customer reviews and they were all really high...

I'm sold... it couldn't possibly be worse then the pelican POS I'm using now.  biggrin.gif

If anyone else is interested in this let me know and I'll write up a mini review once I get it... if no one cares then I'll just use it and be happy  tongue.gif

autoxerFSP21

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »

Mine is excellent. I don't notice any static in the picture and sound quaility is fine. The only problem I have with the system is that the buttons on the remote don't feel right. I picked up the Harmony 360 remote and it is able to control it though.

You'll want to use a different set of component video cables to connect it to your tv. The ones that come with it are cheap. Monoprice.com has some decent cables at a good price.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(autoxerFSP21 @ Mar 30 2006, 05:50 PM) View Post

Mine is excellent. I don't notice any static in the picture and sound quaility is fine. The only problem I have with the system is that the buttons on the remote don't feel right. I picked up the Harmony 360 remote and it is able to control it though.

You'll want to use a different set of component video cables to connect it to your tv. The ones that come with it are cheap. Monoprice.com has some decent cables at a good price.

Cool, yeah monoprice is a great site, I order all my cables from them. I'll be using all my own cables and I have a learning remote that I'll be using in place of the one it comes with so if those are the only problems it sounds good to me beerchug.gif

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Mar 29 2006, 01:27 PM) View Post

I ended up ordering it...

from here: https://www.shop4tec...8&cata=&s_cata=

The site has a fantastic review rating, it was $20 cheaper, with free shipping, on AND they carried it in Black

Not to mention they had a couple of customer reviews and they were all really high...

I'm sold... it couldn't possibly be worse then the pelican POS I'm using now.  biggrin.gif

If anyone else is interested in this let me know and I'll write up a mini review once I get it... if no one cares then I'll just use it and be happy  tongue.gif

I would like a mini review since I'll be getting my HDTV and sound system next month. I was looking for something to handle all of my inputs in a nice neat package

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 08:59:00 PM »

I've seen one of these at RhinoGames, it looks real nice.

miggidy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 01:37:00 PM »

Hey Twisted I won't ask for a review or anything, all I need to know is if you noticed any difference in picture quality?

I have the much cheaper Pelican system selector ($20 at Circuit City) and it looks great.
Even with the cables they supply with it.
But I'm getting pretty tired of getting up and manually pushing the select buttons.
Plus I'm concerned that the constant switching will wear my selector out.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(miggidy @ Apr 3 2006, 04:52 PM) View Post

Hey Twisted I won't ask for a review or anything, all I need to know is if you noticed any difference in picture quality?

I have the much cheaper Pelican system selector ($20 at Circuit City) and it looks great.
Even with the cables they supply with it.
But I'm getting pretty tired of getting up and manually pushing the select buttons.
Plus I'm concerned that the constant switching will wear my selector out.

I haven't got it in yet (due to be delivered on the 6th). but I'll be writing some comments here after I test it out for the weekend.

The current selector I'm using is the same one you have the $20 Pelican from circuit city. and while I get no interference either it has worn out and one of the inputs no longer works.  dry.gif  I'm also starting to see some slight interference one on of the channels when more then 1 is on (started when the first channel went out). Which is what prompted me to go hunting for a new system selector.

Also I'm with you, it'd be nice to be able to just remote switch, once I get the selector in I'll probably pick up a learning remote and program all this crap in.  wink.gif

miggidy

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 03:15:00 PM »

Cool!

I went ahead and ordered one anyway,
like you I figured it can't be any worse than what I already have.

One of the reviewers in the link you provided said that he didn't notice any pq loss so I'll go with what he said.

A learning remote sounds like a good idea at this point.
I've never owned one because it always felt to me like I'll only be adding to the pile I already have.
But I'll be damned, I no longer have room for a drink on my coffee table. It's covered with remotes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »

if your quick woot still has some for cheap

http://www.woot.com/

I just have this 4 component input switch it was $15 at walmart and so far it only has displayed interference when im using my xbox, which was weird I could see an image of something that didnt come from any of the other inputs. No optical switch though, only downside ive seen.

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »

Great thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)  I'm in the market for something like this.

Joytech are overdue to deliver this piece of vapourware any day now. http://www.joytech.net/products.php?sectio...&lang=1&catID=4

I can't stand the styling personally and I hope that the delay in this product coming to market has been because of a design rethink, but what is interesting is if you note the back panel, there is what looks like a 360 AVIP plug.

This unit is the successor to this flawed product, http://www.joytech.net/products.php?sectio...&lang=1&catID=9 which has far better styling but had issues with progressive scan sources that made it fairly useless. For non-progressive sources it is an excellent unit.

Look forward to reading your comments twistedsymphony.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(miggidy @ Apr 3 2006, 06:30 PM) View Post

A learning remote sounds like a good idea at this point.
I've never owned one because it always felt to me like I'll only be adding to the pile I already have.
But I'll be damned, I no longer have room for a drink on my coffee table. It's covered with remotes tongue.gif

My Receiver (Marantz SR6200) came with a learning remote, it's great in that it has buttons for every possible function you can think of, but it's literally a rectangle with over 100 buttons all exactly the same shape and no back-lighting, so it's very easy to get lots. in the dark. Ideally I'd love something like a Logetec Harmony or one of the Sony Touchscreen remotes, but I have a hard time justifying paying that much for something I've never used and have no idea if I'll even like it.

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Apr 3 2006, 06:52 PM) View Post

if your quick woot still has some for cheap

http://www.woot.com/
I just have this 4 component input switch it was $15 at walmart and so far it only has displayed interference when im using my xbox, which was weird I could see an image of something that didnt come from any of the other inputs. No optical switch though, only downside ive seen.
I have the older version of that remote, I picked up 2 of them from MCM for $6 a pop a while ago. The best part of that remote is that they're JP1 compatable... if you're not familiar with JP1 remotes, there's literally a whole remote modding scene. JP1 is a common interface that lets you reprogram the remotes through your computer to do whatever you want it to do. It's pretty cool stuff, go google it if you're interested.

QUOTE(fahrenheit @ Apr 3 2006, 08:30 PM) View Post

Great thread smile.gif  I'm in the market for something like this.

Joytech are overdue to deliver this piece of vapourware any day now. http://www.joytech.n...&lang=1&catID=4

I can't stand the styling personally and I hope that the delay in this product coming to market has been because of a design rethink, but what is interesting is if you note the back panel, there is what looks like a 360 AVIP plug.

This unit is the successor to this flawed product, http://www.joytech.n...&lang=1&catID=9 which has far better styling but had issues with progressive scan sources that made it fairly useless. For non-progressive sources it is an excellent unit.

Look forward to reading your comments twistedsymphony.

yeah that definitely looks like an AVIP, I saw something JUST like that at EB games the other day, probably not the same one but it mimicked the 360's shape and had an LCD just like that one. While I'm not the too picky about looks, I do prefer black to match my other stuff, and 5 inputs is a necessity  cool.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »

OK so I got the unit in today... My first impressions are mixed, but I'll be testing it out more extensively over the weekend.

But first the pictures (because everyone loves pictures)

IPB Image
The Well Packed Box inside a box from shop4tech.com

IPB Image
Looking at the input on the box picture it's pretty obvious who this product is geared towards  wink.gif

IPB Image
The stuff that came in the box (except for the remote which I forgot to take a picture of)

OK
First things first, The build quality of this unit seems to be pretty good, you've got your standard steel case with (what I believe to be) a real aluminum front face. a nice looking LCD screen, and oodles of ports on the back. Pushing and prodding it seems like it's a pretty sturdy device. The Buttons all have good action (they looked cheap in the pictures so seeing and feeling them in person was a pleasant surprise) And all the ports on the back are mounted strong against the steel. The top metal piece flexes a little as it seems it's not bolted anywhere but the sides and back, so when pushed it can move up and down under the front panel (like the freshness bump on the top of a jar). Not a big deal though. The remote is also much nicer in person then they seemed in the pictures, again the buttons are nice and the remote is actually made of aluminum, it's also a little larger then I expected too be (maybe 2"x4.5" and 3/4" thick though I didn't measure). Overall it had a good feel to it.

Bringing the unit down into my basement it was very light weight. Setting it on top of my Marantz receiver it matched it's width exactly as did the color and brushed aluminum pattern. Looking at the back panel it hit me that it used an un-grounded wall wart for power. The first thought that came to mind was that I would have preferred a grounded connection of some sort, particularly for a powered video switch an earth ground would help with reducing interference and noise. Maybe it doesn't need it...  The next thing I noticed was the the inputs closest to the power were the optical ports. This I thought this was cool and it made me feel like who ever designed this actually thought about where they were putting things.

There are 5 inputs on the back all of them support Component video, S-Video, Composite Video, Stereo RCA Audio. The first three inputs also support Optical and Coaxial Digital Audio. There is a 6th input on the front panel but it only supports S-Video, Composite Video and Stereo RCA Audio. There are also 3 Ethernet ports on the back but they're set up rather interestingly Basically you'd still use an external switch to connect all of your devices too, but the system selector will allow you to connect them to two different LANs. Not only that you can switch which LAN you're using on the fly via the remote. I don't have any use for that but I thought it was kind of cool none the less. (I suppose you could leave one disconnected and use it for "unplugging" your Xbox from Live if you didn't want to be connected for whatever reason).

Swapping over all the wires from my old selector There was adequate spacing between the jacks, enough that even the large headed monster cables I had fit without squeezing or even rubbing like they did on my old selector. Also there is no shroud around the back which makes things easier as well. All the plugs felt very sturdy and even plugging in the very stiff Xbox 1 cables I use (the official Advanced HD AV Pack V2) the stayed stiff and strong. Actually the Xbox 1 cables are what broke my last switch as I tried to switch some things around and the pressure I had to apply to get the plug onto the jack just pushed the jack into the switch instead of the plug onto the jack  dry.gif  ...but that wasn't a problem here.

I also didn't anticipate needing another Optical cable as I have 3 optical devices (Xbox1, PS2, and Xbox 360) and one cable for each, formerly going into my receiver. Now that all 3 are going into the switch I need a 4th to go from the switch to the receiver, no big deal I just didn't think about it.

Turning the unit on the display looked exactly like it does on the box picture. Bright Blue with white text. the manual was pretty clear on how to set the text to the input number. Interesting enough it can only be set by the controls on the unit itself, not by the remote. At first I cursed because that meant I had to get back up off the couch laugh.gif but then I realized it's a good idea considering that meant no one would accidentally mess with it via remote. Input 1: Xbox, Input 2: PS2, Input 3: Xbox 360, Input 4: GameCube, makes sense to me It even offered 3 different ways to display Playstation: PSX, PSOne, PS1...

Turning off the lights and firing up the projector I realize the remote offered no back-light. not too big of a deal considering each input has it's own unique button on the remote, so aside from Power, LAN1 and LAN2 (the first 3 buttons) you could just keep pushing stuff till the display on the console had what you wanted.

So now for the real test... What does the picture look like?
Well I just sat back with the still image of the dashboard up looking for something to move. In the past interference has shown up in the form of random strings of pixels going slightly off color momentarily here and there like static. I didn't see any of that, The picture looked free of interference completely. Even walking up close to my screen I didn't see any.

... but something seemed not right ...

Looking around trying to figure it out I noticed that a lot of the text on the screen was shadowing, that is to say had a ghosted version of itself duplicated a few pixels to the right. Upon closer inspection everything was shadowing but depending on the colors some were more visible then others. It's most easily distinguishable with text (black text on a mid-tone seemed to be the worst) but even the "A" button icon at the bottom right had a faint ghosted green shadow 3 or 4 pixels to the right. NOT COOL. I fired up GeoWars to see if I could see see the shadowing there (simple shapes on a black background), I figured it would also be beneficial to test for any lag possibly introduced. Surprisingly I didn't notice any shadowing or any lag at all (good, and good). Though the lack of shadowing could be due to the colors being used, as the darker the background the less apparent shadows were.

At this point my GF came home and I asked her if she noticed anything different, she couldn't after staring at it for a bit and I pointed out the shadow. She saw them but said she'd have to go out of her way to notice it.

I went and put the Xbox 360 cables and the output cables back onto the old switch to see if maybe this shadow had been there all along and I had just never noticed it before. Examining the picture through the old switch I did see some shadowing but it didn't seem as apparent. At this point I noticed the colors were slightly different too. I put the connections back onto the new switch and the shadows hit me like a ton of bricks. They were definitely more noticeable with the new switch. I thought maybe it's because the new switch is carrying the signal better and everything has been tuned to the old switch, maybe I have some settings cranked way too high or something. So I went into the projectors menu and started fooling around. If anything it only served to make it worse. I fired up a game of bankshot billiards and the balls all seemed to have little ghosts hanging out to their right.  dry.gif I had to shut it off before my head exploded.

I'll say this... I'm still going to be optimistic. The cables I'm using from the switch up to the projector are total JUNK (a really crappy 25' VGA to component cable that came with the projector, 3 Radio shack barrel plugs and the component cable that came with the crappy pelican switch), I actually have really nice replacement cables sitting and waiting to go (50' 4x shielded oxygen-free gold strand SVGA cable, and a similar 3ft VGA to component adapter), I ordered them from monoprice a short while ago and just haven't got around to putting them up yet. Also through futzing around with the projector setting the colors and everything are definitely messed up and way out of whack so it could still be my own fault the ghosting is there. Also since I moved to this house I've had that old switch and I haven't compared the new switch to NO SWITCH at all, which would be the best baseline. I also never checked any of the other inputs. Not to mention I wouldn't mind adding an earth ground to the case to see if that helps any.

All of this stuff I plan on tackling this weekend.

In the mean time I've tried to do some research into what causes shadowing like that but I couldn't find anything AT ALL. I know I've seen it before but only when a low res image gets upscaled or just blown up. I see it a lot on composite inputs when going into a projector. (and yes it was still outputting at 720p I checked the signal with the projector).

So if anyone can give me any insight as to what can cause shadowing let me know. In the meantime I'm really luke-warm over this switch, but remaining optimistic.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4